[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Aug 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #2,461 of 5,962
Quote:
SO for people in Europe:
The cable I'm talking about is the DeleyCON Premium HQ Stereo Audio Kabel
I got the 1.5m version, at only 4.70 euro. Since the quality is comparable to much more expensive cables like the Oehlbach i-Connect J-35 at 19 euros, this one is a steal. Yes it looks exactly like the pictures (they're NOT renders, the cable really looks this good. Build quality is excellent). The cable itself is rather thick, however flexible, feels very smooth and has no markings or text whatsoever on it. The connectors look and feel very well built. The aluminium jacks shine dark-grey and are unscrewable, revealing the connection between cable and connector which looks solid. If one has enough time and able to scratch 'DeleyCON' off the jacks you would have a very neat and clean looking cable.

It looks very much like the MediaBridge cables that folks have been buying in the U.S. http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B004LTEUDO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1376678454&sr=8-4&keywords=mediabridge.  Similar price point too.  Probably all made at the same factory.

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #2,462 of 5,962
Aug 16, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #2,463 of 5,962
Aug 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #2,465 of 5,962
After my ever-ongoing search for the right cable (some of you have seen me talking, asking and complaining about it for several posts :wink: ) I finally found a nice looking, available in Europe, not too expensive, quality-cable. First I was searching for a 3.5mm to 6.35mm cable but since those are very rare, mostly super-cheap garbage or not available to be shipped to Europe, I ended up by going for a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable like most of you guys. I still have a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter here which came with my DAC so I'll be using that.

SO for people in Europe:
The cable I'm talking about is the DeleyCON Premium HQ Stereo Audio Kabel
I got the 1.5m version, at only 4.70 euro. Since the quality is comparable to much more expensive cables like the Oehlbach i-Connect J-35 at 19 euros, this one is a steal. Yes it looks exactly like the pictures (they're NOT renders, the cable really looks this good. Build quality is excellent). The cable itself is rather thick, however flexible, feels very smooth and has no markings or text whatsoever on it. The connectors look and feel very well built. The aluminium jacks shine dark-grey and are unscrewable, revealing the connection between cable and connector which looks solid. If one has enough time and able to scratch 'DeleyCON' off the jacks you would have a very neat and clean looking cable.

The sound to conclude: much better than my 3 3.5mm cables (I already own) combined. Those were cheap stuff which came free with... I don't now anymore but you know what I mean: those cables you have but you never bought :D . A very thin and short cable with gold connectors sounded the worst. The 2 others I had (a cable with gold connectors and a long cable with alu connectors) sounded the same. The DeleyCON I now have is much better! I don't have a multimeter so I can't test it's impedance but I notice the sound is a bit more refined, more precise, more sparkly. The voices are better too! Now I really like the X1! First it was like a (thin) veil was covering the sound.

I don't earn money or am affiliated with DeleyCON if some might think :p  but I can recommend this cable to anyone who still needs one and can't order from the US. It's cheap, however it looks and feels expensive (the pictures on Amazon are 100% accurate), thick but flexible and the sound is very good.

Isn't that something? Makes you wonder how the other X1's sound :) Well I must say my X1 is warm with nice bass, but not that amazing as most of you say it is. Dubstep and electronic music do sound nice, but I'm not jumping off my seat :rolleyes: . I really enjoy the X1 with AC/DC for example.

Do you know a site that is in english that sell that cable? I dont understand germen :)

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #2,466 of 5,962
Google Chrome has built-in translation. Go nuts.

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #2,467 of 5,962
Guys, what's the weight of Philips cable?

I was thinking of getting V-MODA CoilPro cable, but the thing weighs 80g. Seems quite heavy, but i may still try it if it's near the weight of included cable.

Though i remember reading some reports about breaking of 3.5 input on X1. Not sure if its worth it in the end.

I think you would rather break the X1's input by plugging the cable in-and-out often. The weight of a cable is nothing compared to the tension you create when you pull the plug out the headphone.

I guess that make sense. I think i'm gonna bite and order one, last day of discount comes handy.

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #2,468 of 5,962
Did some more A/B testing with the X1 today, if anyone wants impressions I can post later on

Aug 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #2,470 of 5,962
Full disclosure, the headphones I listened to today were going through a multi-input unit that affected their sound for the worse.  The 650's were amped.  I could still get a feel for their signatures though.

So I REALLY wanted to like the D600.  I was thinking that they could be my portable pair of headphones - something that is easily driven, looks decent on the head, and that I could lay down in without it being uncomfortable.  Well, they do check all those boxes. Unfortunately, they just don't sound good.  Actually, I am shocked by how poor they sound - I don't think I'd pay $100 for them.  The bass is emphasized and clean, but not textured.  The mid bass doesn't bloom like the X1's - that's the only positive I'll give them.  The treble is extremely harsh - moreso than the DT990.  The sibilance is unbearable is some tracks.  The mids seem barely there - I couldn't really pay any attention to them between the bass and treble.  The overall sound makes you feel like you're trapped in a tiny acoustically non-friendly room.  Just junky all around.  I only tried the 7100 for a couple of tracks.  It was better, but still similar to the D600.  I think Denon just sat in a room and said "people like bass and treble so give them that" and that's what they did.  I hope I never have to listen through these again.

The Senn HD 650 is just a beautiful beast.  I can't believe the way they place vocals right next to you.  It's like Sennheiser engineered them completely around vocals.  Anyone that listens mostly to vocalists, or even a lot of violin/sax - anything in that frequency range - these just make these vocals/instruments sing with brilliant clarity and fidelity.  They don't have any sense of power in the bass range, but at least sub bass is present with them; with my HD 580's anything under 40Hz just didn't exist.  Coming directly from the X1's you'll find these to place the mids much more up front and the bass will feel reduced.  Going from these to the X1 made me feel like the X1's just have a bit too much bass.  Basically, I would highly recommend the 650's to anyone that loves classical, vocalists, certain kinds of jazz - anything that doesn't benefit from bass emphasis as a lot of electronic and hip-hip does.

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #2,472 of 5,962
See above - was from my iphone through a multi-input unit to the phones.  Had an amp in the chain for the 650's.

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #2,473 of 5,962
Looks like Amazon won't be selling the X1 anymore because they have been out of stock for a while. Also, there isn't even a listing that is "sold by Amazon" that usually shows the estimated shipping wait time. All is see, now, is third party sellers selling them for almost $300, now. Good thing there are other great deals around. I might have to jump on these again before it gets too late.

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2,474 of 5,962
Quote:
Looks like Amazon won't be selling the X1 anymore because they have been out of stock for a while. Also, there isn't even a listing that is "sold by Amazon" that usually shows the estimated shipping wait time. All is see, now, is third party sellers selling them for almost $300, now. Good thing there are other great deals around. I might have to jump on these again before it gets too late.

The Radiohead that I'm listening to on the X1's right now concurs :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back