[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Aug 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #2,296 of 5,962
Aug 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #2,298 of 5,962
Here is the cable I made for MLE. Its the one on the right, obviously. Forgot to take a single picture of it, I had these to show someone somethings I was working on.

It's a very simply all black cable with Neutrik connectors, paracord sleeving, mundorf supreme solder, and adhesive 3:1 heatshrink. I told him that I was going to make him a cable, but ended up using the intended conductors for another rush project. I ended up making it a hybrid cable inside with two different types I had. L & R channels are the same copper, with a different SPC ground. 

Anyhow, if anyone else in interested in a cable, I enjoy making them and bettering the work I do just PM me. You pay for the mats, and I'll make it. Obviously it could take some time depending on my schedule. I'm always open to trying different styles and new ideas. 

One example is that unfinished interconnect on the right. I was bored and wondered what it would look like trying a spiral round braid with the relatively stiff navships mil spec SPC. Well, I found out. It turns out the stiffness makes the spiral 3D like when you do a 12 strand braid.

So if you wanna try to make a jewel encrusted pimp cable for your X1, I'm down to try lol 
L3000.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #2,299 of 5,962
The cable couldn't have come out better. Pretty (looks so much like the stock cable) thick, bendable without retaining memory, lowest resistance out of all cables I tested.

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #2,300 of 5,962
Anyone know a good, cheap replacement cable for the X1 available in Europe? I'd love to get the monoprice or mediabridge ones, but unfortunately they only seem to be available in America.

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #2,301 of 5,962
Quote:
Anyone know a good, cheap replacement cable for the X1 available in Europe? I'd love to get the monoprice or mediabridge ones, but unfortunately they only seem to be available in America.

http://www.kenable.co.uk/?cPath=48_58&sort=2a&page=2  (scroll down a bit)

"   Pure HQ OFC Shielded "

Got one not for X1 but it mesure about 0.5/0.6 ohms with my multimeter

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #2,303 of 5,962
Quote:

http://www.kenable.co.uk/?cPath=48_58&sort=2a&page=2  (scroll down a bit)

"   Pure HQ OFC Shielded "

Got one not for X1 but it mesure about 0.5/0.6 ohms with my multimeter

Thanks dude! Ordered.

@dailysmoker - from what I've read earlier in this thread, most people advise against v-moda cables. Take a look at this page. "People have found the V-moda to actually be over 1.0ohm in most occasions."

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #2,304 of 5,962
Hi guys, received my X1 today!

Plugged it in and started with "Requiem" by Neil Davidge from Halo 4's soundtrack in FLAC. I immediately noticed it sounded like a very cheap cardboard speaker 
eek.gif
. OK, no problem, maybe it's just the first minutes since I just unpacked this thing. Next is something completely different to check this terrible sound: "Train" by Goldfrapp in FLAC. The prominent first beats were there, but sounded better on my HD595 but ok... but THEN when I expected she would sing I was still only hearing the prominent tune. Where is her voice? Where is the singing? VERY faintly in the background when I turned the volume up I heard something that might be a voice. What the hell???

Now I was 90% convinced I had a DOA. "Uninvited" by Alanis Morissette in FLAC gave the final blow when the deep note which started the song was clearly distorted, when Alanis started singing again barely any voice audible, while the high notes from the piano were not clean either. The mids and mid-lows were like -10dB and playing with the equalizer confirmed this since all sound was gone when I only left frequencies 125 to 500 on 0 when all other on -12dB. 
mad.gif
 No mids at all, distorted bass and so-so highs!

BUT, while already grabbing the box to send it back, I removed the stock cable and plugged in a short, thin, very cheap-looking cable which came free with some MP3-player I got 10 years ago. BOOM suddenly I recognised the sound everyone here was talking about and I liked it immediately since it wasn't very different from the HD595 I have. Further listening convinced me the X1 was indeed better than the HD595 i have. Bass has more impact, highs don't suffer from Sennheiser's veil anymore but mids were (very) slightly recessed. Overall: a worthy improvement! I even noticed sounds (in the highs) which I never heard before while the bass was playfully supporting.

So... I think this proves it's not only a matter of measuring the resistance of the stock cable anymore to confirm it's bad, the cable is just pure rubbish! It looks fine and feels excellent however the sound is just terrible. I know it's obvious mine is defective/broken and not all stock cables are like this (or all X1-reviews would be devastating unless they used a different cable and this topic wouldn't even exist 
wink.gif
), but how can you mess up a cable may I ask? I didn't even know a cable would matter that much since I always thought a cable just works or just doesn't work (while slight differences may occur), this stock cable confirms to me a cable can destroy the sound. Let this be a warning to new X1-owners or future buyers who may notice this terrible sound as well: swap the cable! And to those who's stock cable sounds just fine: swap it anyway since better ones (lower resistance) can be found 
anywhere.

In short: My stock cable (which looks and feels fine) is DOA and made the X1 sound like a potato, the X1 itself however is exactly like everyone here is saying it is: impactfull bass, clear highs, fun, airy and just puts a smile on your face 
biggrin.gif
. The (high-) mids however are a bit weaker than on my HD595.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #2,305 of 5,962
Quote:
Thanks dude! Ordered.

@dailysmoker - from what I've read earlier in this thread, most people advise against v-moda cables. Take a look at this page. "People have found the V-moda to actually be over 1.0ohm in most occasions."

So I'm asking for an education here.  I use the V-Moda audio only cable on my Pro900, my Q-40 and have not noticed any issues.   What should I be noticing?  Does the 1 ohm cause any real problems or is it a preference thing? 

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #2,306 of 5,962
If you notice, it will be incredibly subtle. There's not much of a difference with any cable I've heard, but the stock cable is definitely the worst cable, even if just bit a little. I can't really tell a diff between a .4ohm and a 1.0ohm cable so far. the 0.2ohm cable i got from kamahaha is the tightest sounding cable, and not as bright as the Inakustik. But again, it's like 99.9% the same. Don't worry too much about swapping cables after at least replacing the stock cable.

Aug 5, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #2,307 of 5,962
So I received my X1 on Friday and I thought I would give a quick impression. First things first; the X1 sounds amazing and I feel the reviews are pretty spot on. The bass is unbelievable for an open headphone and it definitely makes listening to music, games and movies a complete joy. My only complaint would be that vocals are not quite as good as I would like and take a back seat to the bass at times. Sound wise these would have kept me satisfied for some time.

Unfortunately I am finding the pads extremely uncomfortable and I cannot listen to them for longer then 30 minute intervals. My ears are too big and do not fit nicely inside the pads. This is caused by the inner oval shape of the pads and if they were circular I don't feel I would have any issues. This is extremely disappointing considering everything else about the X1 is nearly perfect for what it is. Seems I am now off to try an Annie.

TL;DR: If you are looking for a great headphone I don't think you can go wrong with the X1 (my problems aside).

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2,309 of 5,962
It's definitely possible for the pads to be uncomfortable, as the opening isn't the biggest. Sorry Sarith. That'd drive me nuts too. The HP-800 has the same problem you're having with the pads. I can only wear it 30 minutes at a time.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #2,310 of 5,962
Long periods of music listening with the x1 can be quite fatiguing due to the heavy bass. However, EQing down the bass on foobar does the trick and I'm quite happy with the result. Has anyone tried this as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back