[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jun 19, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #1,502 of 5,962
I'm still skeptical of there being much improvement. 

I don't know a whole lot about the technicalities, but I know that there's not that much difference between using the X1s with my amp with a 5 ohm output impedance and my amp with 0.5 ohm output impedance. 

Does the cable impedance affect the sound and damping factor MORE than the output impedance of the amps?  In other words, are were talking about the same technical differences between using an amp with a 1.7 ohm output impedance and one with a ~0.5 ohm output impedance?  Because IF SO, then I think chasing that last 1.0 ohms on cables is a waste of time/money.  If the technical details are different, maybe not.

Oh well, I already have the monoprice and the 0.2 ohm In-Akustik cables.  I shouldn't need to mess with it anymore...

O_0

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #1,503 of 5,962
I'm with Chico. I'm getting a cable for the lowest impedance/best damping. I don't believe in cable-fi,as I have tested various cables of different types, and it all sounds same-y. Any low impedance cable should be fine. Everything else is snake oil and expectation bias, IMHO.

The stock X1 cable is just a bad cable for the X1.

I'd spend a little extra for a nice LOOKING cable, just to match with the nice looking X1. Not for actual sonic benefits.

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #1,504 of 5,962
Quote:

I partially agree, in my mind there might be difference as well between OFC, OCC, Silver, Cryo, etc ... don't you think ? 

Sure. 

But I'm not chasing any diminishing returns by buying cables that expensive for the X1.  I'm comfortable buying a decent $5-20 cable for them, but that's about it.

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #1,505 of 5,962
Quote:

Sure. 

But I'm not chasing any diminishing returns by buying cables that expensive for the X1.  I'm comfortable buying a decent $5-20 cable for them, but that's about it.

Making them isn't all that bad depending on what material you want. Sure, if you want pure silver, it's going to cost you, but 7N cryo'd spc or pure copper is pretty cheap along with a pair of Neutrik connectors. I could make a nice one for $20-25 depending on the length. For about $2-3 more I could sleeve it with whatever floats your boat, paracord or nylon multifilament sleeve to give you the look/design you want. 

Although, it's not as cost effective as $7 off Amazon. 

--------------------------------------------
I do find that cables sound different. However, I don't think that just because certain materials are more expensive makes them sound better.

e.g. Pure silver has higher conductivity than pure copper, that's a fact. Mixing gold with pure silver (like some super expensive cables do) acts as an impurity and will likely change the sound, but that doesn't mean that it will make it better.

The sounds produced are different from different materials. Weather you like the sound produced is fully subjective to the user. So more expensive =/= better sound, just different. 

Rhodium connectors is another example. Its a much harder material and will last longer without oxidation issues, but it has less conductivity and by no means ensures that the sound will be better. Again, just different. 

Some cables/interconnect I notice 0% difference between them when doing A/B. Others I find a massive contrast. One cable I made for the Mad Dogs with nice materials has me thrown for a loop. I actually hated the effect it had on them. Made the sound thinner, almost anemic in comparison to the stock cable. So it doesn't always work out for the better.

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #1,506 of 5,962
I'm pretty aligned with your statement. I have remarked in hifi that better cables - in general more transparent ones - does not automatically brings to better sound. Why ? ... I'd say that when a system is not optimized (from the source to the end), a better cable would "highlight" the weakest element bringing bad sounding output. As well, there is "good" and "bad" jitter, the less jitter is not always the best for human ears...

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #1,507 of 5,962
So I just finished comparing between the stock cable and the Inakustik Premium (stiff as hell) cable. It's not even hard to hear. the Inakustik is cleaner, sharper, and edgier in presentation. The stock cable seems ever so slightly blurred. Like instead of a sound effect going 'TAK', it goes 'THAK'. It isn't defining things as clearly. Like a VERY slight smoothing of sound effects.

Overall, I wouldn't say the stock cable is TERRIBLE, or super different, but just like the Mediabridge cable, the Inakustik resolves better.

The difference is slight enough to say that I wouldn't worry so much about it if you did stick with the stock cable. Yes, the others are better, but it's like not even 2% better.

I do think the Inakustic sounds a little cleaner than the Mediabridge. It's just a brighter/more detailed sound.

Of course, it may possibly be because the impedance being lower may make the sound just a teeny bit louder on the Inakustik, and sometimes louder can fool people into think it's clearer.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhCfxBULO4w[/VIDEO]

Testing the actual 320kbps mp3. At around 0:55, When she says "Every day I feel this pain" The 's' in 'this' is less defined and rolled off with the stock cable. It sounds more natural with the Inakustik. That's just one example.

edited in after the next post:

EDIT: HAH! listening to my fave song ever: Skylar Grey - Words, you can clearly hear that either the Inakustik and mediabridge cables have a higher midrange volume than the stock. I put it up to a loud level, and when i switched to and from, the two non-stock cable were more forward, while the stock cable was more in the blended into the background. That means they have a better midrange. Either that or it really is just a volume difference. they both clearly get just to the point of discomfort at the volume level I set it to, while the stock cable doesn't bother me at all in the vocals at that decibel level.

Seriously, listen to the song at a point where you think her voice is bordering on too loud with the stock cable. When you switch, her voice should be past the point of being too loud.

Either that, or put it where her voice is bordering on too loud with the non-stock cables, and switch to the stock. Her voice won't be bordering on too loud anymore.

This happens everytime with either of my non-stock cables...

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #1,508 of 5,962
I was thinking... how about:

X1 -> 3.5mm male to mini-XLR cable (small cable) -> K70x cable

It's hard to find some legit 3.5mm to 3.5mm cables.

Just need to figure out whether I need a male or female mini xlr end on the 3.5mm 'earring' that connects to the X1.

Though not sure this would work right as I hear the K702's cable has a non-standard wiring/ground/something.

EDIT: HAH! listening to my fave song ever: Skylar Grey - Words, you can clearly hear that either the Inakustik and mediabridge cables have a higher midrange volume than the stock. I put it up to a loud level, and when i switched to and from, the two non-stock cable were more forward, while the stock cable was more in the blended into the background. That means they have a better midrange. Either that or it really is just a volume difference. they both clearly get just to the point of discomfort at the volume level I set it to, while the stock cable doesn't bother me at all in the vocals at that decibel level.

Seriously, listen to the song at a point where you think her voice is bordering on too loud with the stock cable. When you switch, her voice should be past the point of being too loud.

Either that, or put it where her voice is bordering on too loud with the non-stock cables, and switch to the stock. Her voice won't be bordering on too loud anymore.

This happens everytime with either of my non-stock cables...

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #1,509 of 5,962
Can you hear any difference between the mediabridge and In-Akustik cables? 

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #1,510 of 5,962
Hmm. Are you sure that the difference isn't just a dB difference? Obviously switching from quiet to loud will suggest that it has a much higher impedance, but are you convinced that it's diminishing detail as well as volume? Maybe even soundstage as well?

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #1,511 of 5,962
I just got mine in the mail and really love it(got it for $300). The bit that attaches the speaker with the metal ring is just hard plastic right? Kinda dumb to have all this metal and then in the most important area use plastic.

Jun 19, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #1,512 of 5,962
I have ordered 28 awg pure silver solid core wire so I'll post some comparisons myself. I bought it just for fun and because I want to know if there is a difference too. I will be comparing it to my 2$ 0.2ohm cable.

I hope the insulation I ordered (teflon) fits the wire. :p It should theoretically fit but I heard that you should get a bigger inner diameter.

What do you guys think? is 28 awg thick enough? Or should I use two wires per channel. (equal to 25 AWG)

I will make the cable short (around one meter) so that should be a factor too.

Jun 19, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #1,513 of 5,962
Quote:
I just got mine in the mail and really love it(got it for $300). The bit that attaches the speaker with the metal ring is just hard plastic right? Kinda dumb to have all this metal and then in the most important area use plastic.

dumb? if it were he500 weighted cans sure, bring the metal, but oh wait, i hate he500 for it's heft.

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #1,514 of 5,962
I have ordered 28 awg pure silver solid core wire so I'll post some comparisons myself. I bought it just for fun and because I want to know if there is a difference too. I will be comparing it to my 2$ 0.2ohm cable.

I hope the insulation I ordered (teflon) fits the wire. :p It should theoretically fit but I heard that you should get a bigger inner diameter.

What do you guys think? is 28 awg thick enough? Or should I use two wires per channel. (equal to 25 AWG)

I will make the cable short (around one meter) so that should be a factor too.

28 is fine, especially with two per channel. Good luck with sleeving it in the teflon. After 4ish feet it can be a real pain, YMMV.

The solid core is an issue though. It's fine for interconnects that won't be flexing or moving much, but as a headphone cable and being braided you risk breaks in the line. It will also be quite stiff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back