[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jun 8, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #1,381 of 5,962
Quote:

Ok, since I have some regrets about not getting a HD600, this might play into it. But if they aren't noticeably better as you say, this is good to hear. Or in any case it might limit my options to make it easier. But the bass really takes some getting used to. I can enjoy it for itself, as a kind of side effect, but at the same time I don't think it does the original any good. It's just too omnipresent.
I did get them for a reduced price from ebay (200€ instead of 240€, in Germany), but I wouldn't consider them so much as a step up from the Sennheiser HD 598 and AKG K550 as just a more expensive alternative.

I have had the X1 for two weeks now. I have started to get use to the sound sig of the X1. Now I think the X1 is definitely a scale up from HD598. To me, the X1 is more closer to the feeling of a concert hall. First and foremost, the sound is more "accurate" and more airy than 598. So I would say it is a more natural sound. Also, compared with HD598, the X1 excels in bass, details, speed and perhaps soundstage (598 has quite a big soundstage, but it seems that the soundstage is in the shape of  an egg). I would say X1 is well worth the money. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #1,382 of 5,962
I have had the X1 for two weeks now. I have started to get use to the sound sig of the X1. Now I think the X1 is definitely a scale up from HD598. To me, the X1 is more closer to the feeling of a concert hall. First and foremost, the sound is more "accurate" more airy than 598. So I would say it is a more natural sound. Also, compared with HD598, the X1 excels in bass, details and perhaps soundstage (598 has quite a big soundstage, but it seems that the soundstage is in the shape of  an egg). I would say X1 is well worth the money. 

This is what's making it a difficult decision for me. I have an HD558, and I like it a lot. Both the HD558 and the X1 have what I'd call a "well-rounded" sound signature, ie, neither has some quality that truly stands up, like say, the HD650's spaciousness and separation, or the AD2000's speed and vocals. Yet, the HD558 and the X1 have completely different sound signatures, and I'm not sure I can afford to keep both.

The HD558 has a slightly heavier bass, its bass makes a stronger "thud" and it's a bit warmer than the X1's. The HD558 also has more pronounced highs, it's clearly more lively with cymbals and snare drums. On the other hand, it has notably recessed vocals, and it can sound congested with some recordings.

The X1 is airier, has more bass rumble but less thud, the highs can be muffled with some instruments. Vocals sound better and more upfront though: the X1 is excellent for watching TV shows, voices come through very clear. It doesn't have the graininess of the Sennheiser.

They sound so different, yet both are extremely complete and competent headphones. I guess the X1 is a better all-rounder, but the HD558 can be more entertaining, and it's a terrific headphone for the price. Also, I like the lower profile of the Sennheisers. The X1 is cosmetically beautiful, but it's gigantic.

I consider the X1 an excellent headphone for €200, but I'm not sure I'd pay much more than that for it.

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #1,383 of 5,962
egokun, The X1 and HD598 are on two different scales, and the X1 is at least a scale up from HD598, I think. And HD598 is at least a half scale up from HD558...

The lowest price of X1 appeared on the Amazon Spain, €183, but now it is €227, keep an eye on it, the price on amazon fluctuates a lot, the price would decrease. Here is the price tracker: http://es.camelcamelcamel.com/Philips-X1-00-Fidelio-Premium/product/B008ZW2T7M

And in amazon italy, the price is 190, a good price in recent months, http://it.camelcamelcamel.com/Philips-X1-00-Fidelio-Auricolari/product/B008ZW2T7M

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #1,384 of 5,962
Quote:
egokun, The X1 and HD598 are on two different scales, and the X1 is at least a scale up from HD598, I think. And HD598 is at least a half scale up from HD558...

And in amazon italy, the price is 190, a good price in recent months, http://it.camelcamelcamel.com/Philips-X1-00-Fidelio-Auricolari/product/B008ZW2T7M

Exactly the place and the price I've bought it at :)

Maybe they're different scales, but not as different as their MSRP would suggest, IMO. As I've said, they're very different, and I wouldn't blame anyone for preferring the supposedly "inferior" headphone. After all, many people here don't consider the X1 "hi-fi".

Considering you can buy a new HD650 for a little more than €300, I can see how many would say the X1 is definitely overpriced at its MSRP.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #1,385 of 5,962
Quote:

Exactly the place and the price I've bought it at :)

Maybe they're different scales, but not as different as their MSRP would suggest, IMO. As I've said, they're very different, and I wouldn't blame anyone for preferring the supposedly "inferior" headphone. After all, many people here don't consider the X1 "hi-fi".

Considering you can buy a new HD650 for a little more than €300, I can see how many would say the X1 is definitely overpriced at its MSRP.

I don't think MSRP is a good indicator. And I always think sennheiser's headphones are overpriced. The MSRP of HD650 is £399, whereas the X1 is £270. Also it is not really fair to compare the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of X1 with the street price of HD650, is it?

Considering the fact that HD650 and X1 are roughly on the same scale, I would say that the performance-price ratio of the X1 is really high at street price 183 euro. Unlike 650, a moderate amp/dac/soundcard would drive the X1 really well, which would also save you a lot of money.

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,386 of 5,962
Quote:
Considering the fact that HD650 and X1 are roughly on the same scale, I would say that the performance-price ratio of the X1 is really high at street price 183 euro. 

It really bugs me that you cant change the X1's earpads.  They get really nasty as well, even with the best hygiene intentions. 

Alas I had to send mine back as one ear was louder than the other and i'm sure that if i wobbled the connecter it would sometimes cut out.

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #1,387 of 5,962
Quote:

It really bugs me that you cant change the X1's earpads.  They get really nasty as well, even with the best hygiene intentions. 

Alas I had to send mine back as one ear was louder than the other and i'm sure that if i wobbled the connecter it would sometimes cut out.

At least they're memory foam. Maybe they last longer? I know it doesn't speak for the velour, but at least the comfort should stay the same. I noticed that one of my pads is rotated about 10 degrees and the other is totally straight. Kinda odd, doesn't affect anything, but seriously? Couldn't glue them on straight?

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #1,389 of 5,962
You can say a lot of things about the X1, but I don't think that overpriced is one of them, at least not "street price wise". It really is a good alternate for more expensive headphones like the HD650 or the DT880. And at Amazon.it it is sold even cheaper than the Fidelio L1; odd.  

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #1,393 of 5,962
Quote:
Recent comparison:

Detail level:
hd598 < x1 < hd650

I've never heard the HD650's. How do they compare to the X1's bass wise?

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #1,394 of 5,962
Hmmm, my memory sais this, can't find my notes:
650 has more punch or oomph or kick or however you want to say it. You 'feel' it more. 
The X1's extend deeper and has quite more bass. It seems 'better' in a way that it's easier to hear more layers of the sound but I don't know if that's because the bass really is better or that it's easier to hear because there is more bass.

I hope this helps. :)

Edit: tested in a store with my own x1 vs a store hd650. My objective2 with the store's moon 600D

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #1,395 of 5,962
Quote:

I've never heard the HD650's. How do they compare to the X1's bass wise?

I owned a HD650 and I like the bass of the X1 better then the HD650. The X1 has more deeper bass and still has a good wide soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back