[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jan 19, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #736 of 5,962
Quote:
Can anyone comment on how the X1's compare to the HiFiman HE-400's?

I didn't really compare them head to head but I enjoyed how the X1's seemed to fully engage you in music, they're quite forgiving too.. To me the he-400s sound more veiled.. the soundstage isn't as curved (X1's have angled drivers), he-400s bass is tighter/more defined.. but X1's bass hits HARD. he-400 sound more metallic overall, more sibilant. I think i like X1's vocals better, but i enjoy he-400s superior separation and detail more, not a fan of non-replaceable earpads either. I'm not sure if the superior separation gives the illusion of a more deep soundstage, but that's another thing I noticed.

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #737 of 5,962
Quote:
I bought the X1 here in Singapore last week for USD270. Now I'm tempted by the L1 for USD150. Has anyone listened to both and can comment on the differences?

I have both. I am going to reproduce a message I exchanged with another Head-fier:

"If you are looking for soundstage plus bass, the X1 is the ticket. The L1 has a more warm signature over all, with great bass as well, but X1 has even more bass and a little more mids and highs. X1's soundstage is airy, big and very pleasant; the L1's is smaller, probably because it is a semi-open can. There are no sibilance problems and clarity is great in both phones. I enjoy both, but the X1 is really my favorite. The price difference between them is not that much also. Of course, the X1 is not portable as the L1 is, the X1 is more of a indoors kind of phone what could be a disadvantage depending in what you are looking for. Anyways, I think you will be pleased with anyone of the two; Philips deserves a huge compliment for this Fidelio line."

In a nutshell: X1 is better but L1 is a great phone too, with good isolation for a semi-open design and not much leakage (for a semi). I use it on the go and love it but some will find it too big for the streets. And it is beautiful too, actually the L1 is the most beautiful headphone I ever saw. Sometimes I just keep looking at it. :xf_eek:)

Hope it helped.

Cheers.

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #738 of 5,962
Quote:
The X1 and K702 are extremely different headphones.

K702s anniversaries are warmer than the standard K702s. I also feel that there are quite a few similar design choices between annies and X1s. They both have velour coated memory foam pads and auto adjustable leather headband. This of course doesn't mean that they sound even remotely similar but I'm just curious. By reading this thread I already know the X1s have very warm signature (most likely even noticeably warmer than the annies), but I'd still like to know how they compare against annies. Annies are perfectly fine for me listening music in my study, but the X1s could make decent cans for watching movies in the living room. I already bought another AKG cable so that I can unplug my annies and use them in the living room but this seems to be just too troublesome.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #739 of 5,962
Hmmm that really makes the annies an interesting listen. :) I'll have a listen sometimes. There's still hope on the AKG front for me.

And I'd like to comment on tubes, what I've heard is that tubes don't merely color the sound. The magni for example might color the sound more then a tube amp. The magni is said to be bright.
A tube just has different advantages than a ss amp.

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #740 of 5,962
Quote:

Well I gave in and got the M-DAC.  Just in case anyone else is contemplating this combo I think they pair beautifully.  Everything I already loved about the X1 is now even better.  "Optimal Spectrum" filter really makes the top end sparkle.  Loving these phones more every listen :)

NB I have about 50 hours on the M-DAC and my goodness what a difference that makes.  Anyway, in danger of drifting wildly off topic so I'll shut up now!

Quote:
i just love my X1. i can listen to a various genres with this beauties. exactly the headphone i was looking for 
smily_headphones1.gif

Please, do drift! That is just the combo I am contemplating. If anyone could comment more on this pairing please fell free to do so.

Thank you.

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #741 of 5,962
K702s anniversaries are warmer than the standard K702s. I also feel that there are quite a few similar design choices between annies and X1s. They both have velour coated memory foam pads and auto adjustable leather headband. This of course doesn't mean that they sound even remotely similar but I'm just curious. By reading this thread I already know the X1s have very warm signature (most likely even noticeably warmer than the annies), but I'd still like to know how they compare against annies. Annies are perfectly fine for me listening music in my study, but the X1s could make decent cans for watching movies in the living room. I already bought another AKG cable so that I can unplug my annies and use them in the living room but this seems to be just too troublesome.

I'm looking at the X1's in the same light, seems like they'd make a great pair for the living room and/or as an occasional alternative to my Beyers.

Really looking forward to cib24's additional comparisons!

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #742 of 5,962
Quote:

I was recommended by ruffra the Musical Fidelity X-Can V8 but it is a tube or tube/hybrid amp and I'm not sure that I want an amp which will colour the sound. But the real problem with this amp is the fact that there are absolutely none available on Ebay or anywhere in the UK from my Google searching so it's out of the question anyway. When I think of an amp, I think of one which merely amplifies the sound and doesn't mess with anything else, letting the headphone sound as it is supposed to. 

I know that all electronics that I have listened to over the years colour the final delivery of the original recording to some greater or lesser extent. Even different Tubes of the same type sound different and with Op Amps things are even more complicated.
Once you have got rid of some of the worst veiling attributes that the system components give you ( including the signal cable!!!)  for long term listening I prefer the slight warmth that Tubes give to my HiFi's SQ including the Headphone sound. Hence that's why I use a £4000 CD player including a DAC with Tubes in and  have a Tube buffer on the end of my Phono stage.
I used Mullard CV2492's in the XcanV8 as they sound  sweeter and provide a overall  better presentation than the stock Ecc88.

I purchased my Xcan v8P from Zouch Audio in the UK in October for £280. Its New old stock and still shown on their website under     Popular     Ex Demonstration . Perhaps they might have one left?  Ebay had 2 Xcan v8's during the last 2 weeks (Now ended) however.  So depends how much time you have for selecting a new headphone amp.  
My SPL Auditor has a very clean sound but doesn't really suit the impedance of the X1's . I think its about achieving a overall SQ synergy balance between Headphones and Amp.  Certainly the XcanV8 and X1's have in my opinion achieved that.  Good Luck in your search , unfortunately you may not get it right the 1st time.  Its taken me years !!!!

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #743 of 5,962
Quote:

I purchased my Xcan v8P from Zouch Audio in the UK in October for £280. Its New old stock and still shown on their website under     Popular     Ex Demonstration . Perhaps they might have one left?  

cib24

I talked with Zouch audio today and purchased an Ex Demonstration MF  M1HPA , I will let you know how that sounds with the X1's later this week.  They think they might still have one Xcan v8P left in stock.  However to get the best out of the Xcans you do need to buy a separate power supply. This increases the cost and may exceed budget.  Hope this helps

22 Jan Update         MF Xcan v8P on Ebay uk now!!! Finishing 28th Jan.

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #744 of 5,962
Hi guys, this is my first post although I've been reading for years. I managed to pick up a pair of X1's on amazon.it. My first pair of full size headphones for a while since my Sennheiser HD 25-1's died years and years ago. Since then I've been through a few IEM's (UM2, UE 10 pro etc).

So far I'm pretty impressed, I'm using them from my Mac with mostly AAC files. I was running them through a Fiio E7 but they seemed to lack a bit of warmth and punch. I'm currently giving the Arcam rPac a go as it seemed to have good reviews for the price and included a DAC. The sound seems pretty good, maybe the treble detail is a little more recessed than the UE 10's but the sound stage is obviously much wider. Bass doesn't seem as emphasised as some have been saying and is pretty balanced if a little uncontrolled at some times. I have eclectic tastes listening to anything from Dubstep to folk.

I don't have a great deal of reference to the compare the rPac, has anyone else got any experience using it? It's definitely better than the E7 but are there better choices out there for the price.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #745 of 5,962
I was thinking of getting the X1 when it comes out in the US. But according to the leaflet, the X1 weighs 430g!! That's 1/3 heavier than the AKG K550, and I thought they were unbearably bulky. That may be a deal killer for me. Can someone attest to their heft?

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/x/x1_00/x1_00_pss_aen.pdf

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #746 of 5,962
Hmm, that's about 1/5th more than my Beyers, or about the same as the HE-400 which I've read some people consider a bit heavy (there's certainly even heavier cans out there)... Doesn't sound that terrible. Not sure why the K550 would seem so bulky at 300g, maybe the way it's distributed and the general construction have a big impact on how any of them feel?

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #747 of 5,962
In my opinion, the X1 is a very light headphone and is noticeably lighter than my Beyerdynamic DT-880. Just look at the review I wrote earlier in this thread.

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #748 of 5,962
In my opinion, the X1 is a very light headphone and is noticeably lighter than my Beyerdynamic DT-880. Just look at the review I wrote earlier in this thread.

Philips' stated weight must be off then, because it puts the X1 at like 70-130g more... Or it's just distributed more evenly.

It's also possible some manufacturers weigh with the cable and others without, DT 880 seem to be 300g without the cord.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #749 of 5,962
Quote:
I was thinking of getting the X1 when it comes out in the US. But according to the leaflet, the X1 weighs 430g!! That's 1/3 heavier than the AKG K550, and I thought they were unbearably bulky. That may be a deal killer for me. Can someone attest to their heft?

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/x/x1_00/x1_00_pss_aen.pdf

Weight including the cable in both cases?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back