[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Mar 1, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #4,021 of 5,962
Right so a while back I mentioned that I wasn't too much of a fan of the cover material that's on the inside of the earcup as on one end it was suspended as the inner cup part of the driver is angled much like how Sennheiser ones are meaning there's a gap between the material and the base of the driver itself on one side.

This results in the material vibrating with heavy bass (most noticeable in movies but also some bassy music) and resonating against the top edge of my ears unless I clamp in the ear cups more so the memory foam can get a deeper mould and the material is properly resting on my ear edge.

I decided to cut away this material and noticed a few things.

1: The material is actually quite strong, I couldn't rip it away without fear of ripping the earpad as well. I had to cut away bit by bit along the edge while pinching the material.

2: The material is quite thick when not stretched.

3: I cut out only the left side so I could compare any sound differences when playing music and noticed that now the left side had a slight dominance in high frequencies compared to the right side and in a good way. The difference isn't huge but those of you who notice small differences in sound will notice it I imagine also.

Doing the other side shortly as there's no more resonance against my ear :)

There's no risk of getting dirt inside the driver too because the driver holes themselves are covered by the lighter cover as part of the earcup itself as you can see in the picture below. The surrounding plastic is glued around the earpadding and I can't see any entry into the cup chamber. I guess Philips put the material (that I cut away) there mostly for aesthetic purposes and not for dust protection.

Before

After

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #4,022 of 5,962
Have decided to keep mine I think the problem is me I am too used to sparkly highs and piercing midrange.It's taken me a few days to adjust to this more delicate presentation of highs and mids after much thought and comparison yes I shall eat humble pie and admit I think I prefer this because it means they work well across all genres it's just hard getting used to a completely delicate "rolled off" presentation of treble and mids.I guess this is where the comparison to HD600 HD650 comes from and why they are viewed as a kind of love hate sound signature.

I don't know whether I am brain burned or mine needed burning in more but today I have clearer mids and duh duh duh delicate but clear detailed highs.You have to really sit through an entire album or track and you start to realize the detail isn't meant to be IN YOUR FACE but very musical and controlled and delicate no tsssts in the treble peaks or center of your head mids everything is where it's meant to be the way it should be.

It's just hard going from a sparkly crisp clean headphone to these takes time to adjust and realize actually yea I was wrong this presentation is better.

I had a battle going on in my own mind I think but after much more comparisons and trying different sources and finding that yes I think I prefer this the rolled off sound.

If I of all people are keeping them that's recommendation enough as I am so hard to please.Have to say though the "rolled" off sound takes getting used to but you only will begin to appreciate how musically good they are after some heavy listening sessions.

Anyway I shall admit I went ott and was wrong what I was hearing was simply a much more pronounced in your face treble and midrange but it's not better it just makes you think it's better because it's more pronounced.

So yea huge slice of humble pie for me apologies if I put anyone off fantastic headphones it's just hard going to a rolled off treble and midrange from cheaper headphones that don't do that.This is the first time I have ever heard this rolled off sound.

So my initial thoughts were right I was impressed just because I hear a tsst a lot louder in a certain part ofa song doesn't mean it's MEANT to sound like that, it's meant to be delicate and controlled and musical.

Complete epiphany for me today after listening to the two good Blur albums.
I have symbols and mids dancing around my head yes the goldring treble is more picked out and sparkly but it's not dancing around my head or delicate controlled without any siblance at all like the phillips.

So in closing if you are going form headphones with sparkly highs and in your face midrange don't rush to judge the "rolled off" sound signature give it a few days and much more listening and comparison and you'll start realizing you get details in music left right behind you and all over the place with a delicate soft presentation.

I am fickle when it comes to headphones I think I was looking for reasons NOT to keep them rather than simply enjoying the music.
SO yea big U turn for me the goldrings aren't in the same league  I am just too used to in your face mids and sparkly treble but trust me it's not better your brain just thinks it is because you get used to sound signatures you like ie using  an EQ to adjust to your taste.

It is rolled off BUT it presents it so well and all over the place in your head I think I would have had a love hate relationship with the sennheiser hd600 hd 650 too.

So yea full circle for me (again) I am just new to how it's MEANT to sound not artificiall but more picked out it's presenting the sounds as loud as you are MEANT to hear them wheras the goldrings sennhesier momentum are giving you sparkly treble no matter what.

You have to put more time in with them no idea if they need burn in or it's brain burn in but yes the rolled off treble and midrange sound sig is technically superior.

Humble pie for me these are keepers.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #4,024 of 5,962

Have decided to keep mine I think the problem is me I am too used to sparkly highs and piercing midrange.It's taken me a few days to adjust to this more delicate presentation of highs and mids after much thought and comparison yes I shall eat humble pie and admit I think I prefer this because it means they work well across all genres it's just hard getting used to a completely delicate "rolled off" presentation of treble and mids.I guess this is where the comparison to HD600 HD650 comes from and why they are viewed as a kind of love hate sound signature.

I don't know whether I am brain burned or mine needed burning in more but today I have clearer mids and duh duh duh delicate but clear detailed highs.You have to really sit through an entire album or track and you start to realize the detail isn't meant to be IN YOUR FACE but very musical and controlled and delicate no tsssts in the treble peaks or center of your head mids everything is where it's meant to be the way it should be.

It's just hard going from a sparkly crisp clean headphone to these takes time to adjust and realize actually yea I was wrong this presentation is better.

I had a battle going on in my own mind I think but after much more comparisons and trying different sources and finding that yes I think I prefer this the rolled off sound.

If I of all people are keeping them that's recommendation enough as I am so hard to please.Have to say though the "rolled" off sound takes getting used to but you only will begin to appreciate how musically good they are after some heavy listening sessions.

Anyway I shall admit I went ott and was wrong what I was hearing was simply a much more pronounced in your face treble and midrange but it's not better it just makes you think it's better because it's more pronounced.

So yea huge slice of humble pie for me apologies if I put anyone off fantastic headphones it's just hard going to a rolled off treble and midrange from cheaper headphones that don't do that.This is the first time I have ever heard this rolled off sound.

So my initial thoughts were right I was impressed just because I hear a tsst a lot louder in a certain part ofa song doesn't mean it's MEANT to sound like that, it's meant to be delicate and controlled and musical.

I have symbols and mids dancing around my head yes the goldring treble is more picked out and sparkly but it's not dancing around my head or delicate controlled without any siblance at all like the phillips.

So in closing if you are going form headphones with sparkly highs and in your face midrange don't rush to judge the "rolled off" sound signature give it a few days and much more listening and comparison and you'll start realizing you get details in music left right behind you and all over the place with a delicate soft presentation.

I am fickle when it comes to headphones I think I was looking for reasons NOT to keep them rather than simply enjoying the music.
SO yea big U turn for me the goldrings aren't in the same league  I am just too used to in your face mids and sparkly treble but trust me it's not better your brain just thinks it is because you get used to sound signatures you like ie using  an EQ to adjust to your taste.

It is rolled off BUT it presents it so well and all over the place in your head I think I would have had a love hate relationship with the sennheiser hd600 hd 650 too.

So yea full circle for me (again) I am just new to how it's MEANT to sound not artificiall but more picked out it's presenting the sounds as loud as you are MEANT to hear them wheras the goldrings sennhesier momentum are giving you sparkly treble no matter what.

You have to put more time in with them no idea if they need burn in or it's brain burn in but yes the rolled off treble and midrange sound sig is technically superior.

Kudos @c64!
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #4,025 of 5,962
Looks like a good headphone to me.
I know the Fidelio line since I own a S2 and must say that they seem to know what they're doing there at Philips. Also the build and material quality is very high level at Philips.

Might be a headphone to look into a bit further...

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #4,026 of 5,962
I think i'm gonna put a protection to the earpads with cut leggings.

But, i need your helps: wich textile is the best  (for the comfort & the sound):
-polyester
-80polyester+20spandex
-mixed cotton
-80cotton+20spandex

i know that's a weird question, but well if someone can help me on that, that would be gr8

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #4,027 of 5,962

I'm with you in this. I plan to reply you in the previous pages. But you suddenly found the reason to like this. LOL

Anyway, I have HD580 and ATH-M50. Both of this CAN have more pronounce high. Especially with M50. M50 have very pronounce high and punchy bass which is like you said, in your face kind of treble. So I hear more with M50 than X1. But I seems to like X1 more. It sounded so smooth. So musical. After a while, I think I realise what make this X1 so great. It has just enough amount of everything and it just flow from high to low smoothly. Built quality is awesome. I just feel so good using this pair of can.
L3000.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #4,028 of 5,962
Those of you that have replaced the stock cable. Seeing that most cables are 1/8 to 1/8. What adapter do you use to make the 1/8 -> 1/4. Any good recommendations

Is this any good   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-6-3mm-1-4-Male-Stereo-to-3-5mm-1-8-Female-Audio-Adapter-Converter-New-/290661900252?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43accc9fdc

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #4,031 of 5,962
  Those of you that have replaced the stock cable. Seeing that most cables are 1/8 to 1/8. What adapter do you use to make the 1/8 -> 1/4. Any good recommendations

Is this any good   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-6-3mm-1-4-Male-Stereo-to-3-5mm-1-8-Female-Audio-Adapter-Converter-New-/290661900252?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43accc9fdc

That's fine.

Though, some may tell you to use an extender so that there's less force on the connector itself which may break (which isn't very common either). Don't think it's an issue IMO, the cable is replaceable anyways.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #4,032 of 5,962
I bought a used pair for $200, with a v-moda aftermarket cable. They were purchased last June, and everything seems to be in excellent condition, with 100 hours tops of use. They haven't arrived yet, so I can't report on the sound (I did test them elsewhere before, however). 

But I am a little concerned from what I am hearing about the pads being non-replaceable. I mean if pads will wear out with consistent use in a couple of years then this is a really terrible deal, since they cannot be resold once the pads goes bad. If one intends to keep their headphones for long, or resell them in the trade, then how is this a defensible deal? I mean, sure, 250 bucks might not seem like a whole lot of money to many, but how can Phillips make such an elementary mistake? I know people who have had their 600's for over a decade!

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #4,033 of 5,962
  I bought a used pair for $200, with a v-moda aftermarket cable. They were purchased last June, and everything seems to be in excellent condition, with 100 hours tops of use. They haven't arrived yet, so I can't report on the sound (I did test them elsewhere before, however). 

But I am a little concerned from what I am hearing about the pads being non-replaceable. I mean if pads will wear out with consistent use in a couple of years then this is a really terrible deal, since they cannot be resold once the pads goes bad. If one intends to keep their headphones for long, or resell them in the trade, then how is this a defensible deal? I mean, sure, 250 bucks might not seem like a whole lot of money to many, but how can Phillips make such an elementary mistake? I know people who have had their 600's for over a decade!

Idd, I wonder how are the pads in the pairs that were bought since the x1 was released. If anyone has them for long enough, he could share some info

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #4,034 of 5,962

That's fine.

Though, some may tell you to use an extender so that there's less force on the connector itself which may break (which isn't very common either). Don't think it's an issue IMO, the cable is replaceable anyways.

I think that advice usually applies for 1/4 to 1/8 adaptors (like the one included with the X1), which really stick out a lot and has potential to break your headphone jack if the cable is pulled the wrong way =O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back