[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Feb 25, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #3,961 of 5,962
  Ok here is a sock mod for these X1s if you peps want to maintain the stock pads in minty condition/ do not want to lint roll the velours/ or is just anal about keeping everything clean.

Materials: One pair of stretchy pantyhose or any type of really thin stretchy socks and a pair of scissors. Instructions: CUT ACCORDINGLY, WRAP OVER, DONE!!!

Got them hos from the $1 mexican stores.
tongue_smile.gif
Make sure them hos are semi-thick and stretchy cuz there are lots of different variants. Got like a couple of different styles for modding my S500s, monoprice DJ cans, etc to prevent sweaty ears. Works wonders.

Alls you need to do is keep the ankle parts of the sock cuz it's the most tight and stretchy and just cut off the ends/ toe sections to the length you desire. So in essence you are making a small tube outta the sock.

Then just wrap it over the stock pads and roll the cut off ends back to make it clean looking. Normally you would stuff the cut off end into the crevices inside the pads but you can't do it with these X1's cuz the pads/ driver are angled and the crevices are glued tight so there are no gaps to fully tuck it in.

BUT i am sure some clever folks will find a ingenious way to even wrap all the way inside the pads as well, maybe cutting a thin piece of cardboard strip and prop it along the inner sides of the pads to keep the sock from rolling back/ coming loose??? I dunno, haven't tired that yet, but i am sure there are lots of different ways to completely cover even the inside of the pads. Just throwing ideas out there that's all. Happy modding or pad cleaning!!!
beerchug.gif

Any chance of posting a picture of what the socks look like off of the headphones please ? so we can get an idea of where you are cutting them these look amazingly neat

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #3,962 of 5,962
I can compare the X1 and DT990. they are more similar than different. The DT990 is a bit brighter and more aggressive. The mid bass has more punch in the DT990 but the X1 goes lower. In the mids the X1 is less recessed but the mids are recessed across a wider frequency range. Like using a parametric eq with a very wide Q. The DT990 is also recessed in the mids but I feel it is across a narrower frequency range/Q. For guitar driven music the DT990 is more engaging. The X1 would be the more boring of the two in the mids but they make up for it with deeper bass. Having said that a lot of rock music doesn't have any real sub bass so that poit could be mute. I also prefer the brighter treble for rock and in that regard the DT990 wins as well. The x1 is a bit more comfortable for me.

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #3,963 of 5,962
Ok, paranoia time.  
tongue.gif

I got my X1s from the Amazon Gold Box deal last month.  When I received them, the box basically looked like it had been dropped; a few dings and dents and even a bit of a tear/gouge to the outer lid directly below the shelf-hanging tab.  Upon seeing it in this state, I immediately figured a couple pallets of X1s must've gotten knocked over and that's why Amazon did a price drop.  

I'm not too concerned about the cosmetic condition of the box and the contents inside appeared to be undisturbed, so I wasn't too worried.  I've been using them quite regularly since I received them at the front of this month and they seem to be in perfect working order.  I even ran the headphone tests from AudioCheck to make sure nothing was amiss and these passed just fine.

However, the end of the return/replacement window with Amazon is coming up soon and the following concern has been tugging at the back of my mind; what if there is underlying damage to the headphones that, although not present now, might creep up later?

So, I'm curious what people here would do?  Would you get a replacement pair for peace of mind or stick with them since all seems well?

Thanks.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #3,965 of 5,962
It's funny that you compare it to the dt990s cause I actually think they're closer to the dt880s. The fidelios probably have a more natural midrange, punchier bass, and are slightly darker but their sound signatures are very similar. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #3,967 of 5,962
  It's funny that you compare it to the dt990s cause I actually think they're closer to the dt880s. The fidelios probably have a more natural midrange, punchier bass, and are slightly darker but their sound signatures are very similar. 

Weird. I don't think the X1 sounds anything like the DT880 or DT990. If the X1 has "more natural midrange, punchier bass, and are slightly darker" how can their sound signatures be "very similar"?

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #3,968 of 5,962
I think a good sample of high-end mid-fi / introductory hi-fi cans would be as follows. I'd like to see you guys rank these in order of preference, just for kicks:

- Fidelio X1 (Smooth, lively top and prominent bottom, with slightly recessed mids. Good imaging and wide ss. Been called a  jack-of-all trades; fun and yet laid lack. Fun relative to Senns, laid back compared to Grados. Very easy to drive, and best ergonomics in the list, perhaps. Problem is...pads are non-replaceable, and Phillips seems out of the game. Walks a middle line rather well, without being neutral.)

-Beyer DT880/990 600Ohm (similar to the Fidelio with perhaps a bit more aggressiveness at the top, and slightly wider soundstage. The 990s are a tad brighter as well. Less natural sounding imo, than the already a tad colored brush of the Fidelios. These ones are more at the fun end of things.)

- Senn HD 600/650 (The most 'serious' or 'mature' of the list: best mids resolution, a bit tame on the lower frequencies, and of course the very mellow upper frequencies and treble response, which account for the so-called 'veily' sound; still, fairly neutral, laid back, and superbly detailed cans. There's a reason these work for everything rather well. The 650 is  slightly darker, with more prominent bass, and even more subdued treble).

- AKG K702 Anniversary (In the same echelon as the Fidelio and Beyer, but lighter on the bass. Better detail, perhaps, than the X1s. Haven't heard these, so I don't know, but people seem to prefer these overall to the Fidelios)

- Hifiman He-400 (Slightly dark, but also have a poignant treble at the top which makes them slightly piercing to some. Great bass response and resolution, and detailed mids. Good soundstage and imaging too, if a bit rough for some. With the Senns, perhaps the most 'natural' sounding of the bunch. Build is alright, but not fantastic either. Also quite easy to drive)

- Grado s325is/s225is (Sparkle and detail in the highs, which allow rock and guitars to shine, but at the price of very subdued bass response. Prominent, detailed mids. Good soundstage and imaging though. Ergonomics are dubious; very easy to drive. A very fun and in-your-face hp, but also a very polarizing one. The 325s are even more detailed at the top, but are even brighter, which makes them quite exhausting and piercing to most. Shrill even. Still, they sound heavenly with strings, and lively music. They also have a bit more bass than the 225's, which is a good thing, though it's still lacking imo.)

- Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (Airy, breathy... haven't heard them though, I have seen quite a bit of praise).

I personally go something like: Fidelio, Grado, Hifiman, Senn, Beyer. 

I like funner profiles, and I think the Beyers are a bit sibilant and overall less impressive than the Fidelio X1. I love the Grado sound, but the lack of bass in the Prestige series does get to me a bit. The Senn sound is too mellow for my tastes, though I admire its rigor and detail. The Hifiman are overall more 'hi-fi' than the X1 due their more balanced mids, more natural and extended bass response, and greater detail than the Fidelios or Beyers. They are certainly less abrasive than the Grados, but they can be a bit harsh and darker, which I don't necessarily like, in spite of their pronounces top. The Fidelios really do everything very well, leaving me only wishing there was a slight less emphasis on the bass and a bit more definition on the mids for kicks. 

I think either the Rs1/Rs2 will be my next can, since I hear they have the Grado sound, while smoothing things out at the top, AND with some bass to top it off..

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #3,969 of 5,962
I have both the X1 and HE-400, and can say that the latter's upper midrange and lower treble is recessed compared to the former.  The HE-400 also has a flatter bass whereas X1 has a bigger midbass making it more fun sounding.  The X1 has a wider soundstage but the HE-400 has more depth.  I'll be getting the Q701 soon so I'll post comparisons with that too.

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #3,970 of 5,962
I like the sound thus far but can understand why some people wont be impressed I'd say the top end isn't sparkly at all and although the details are there they are presented to you in a more relaxed manner than a crystal clear analytical way.

Anyone that measures more than about 46-47 cm bottom of ear lobe to bottom of other ear lobe (use a tape measure) I'd say forget it they wont fit well I am at the limit and I am 45cm.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #3,971 of 5,962
Picked up a pair of these last night from someone local for $175 basically brand new with the intention of only using them for gaming/movies but I just plugged them into my Lyr just for the hell of it, not expecting at all to find myself thinking "wow.." 
blink.gif
 and I have LCD-2, LCD-3, LCD-X and T1.

Very happy with the purchase thus far and can't wait until they are fully burned in. I've already ordered http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-Headset-Headphone/dp/B00BJ17WKK to use for mic duties when gaming.

Does anyone know if these could be recabled for balanced connection ? Would love to see what they sound like from my Mjolnir.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #3,972 of 5,962
Well after much deliberation, I've opted to jump on the X1s. They should be arriving today or tomorrow :)

I'm also eventually going to get the v-moda boom mic for the gaming needs since I'm primarily going to use them on my computer but going to wait a bit on that. I broke the budget a bit getting the X1s instead of something like the Senn 558s. But the X1s had so much praise and more low end than the 558s that I had to do it. The extra $100 for a great all arounder I'll enjoy for many years to come seems pretty good to me.

For now I'm going to put my old headset around my neck or maybe try the USB camera mic just for something to use with vent/mumble/skype.

Next on the list is a better sound card too. Piece at a time.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #3,973 of 5,962
  Picked up a pair of these last night from someone local for $175 basically brand new with the intention of only using them for gaming/movies but I just plugged them into my Lyr just for the hell of it, not expecting at all to find myself thinking "wow.." 
blink.gif
 and I have LCD-2, LCD-3, LCD-X and T1.

Very happy with the purchase thus far and can't wait until they are fully burned in. I've already ordered http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-Headset-Headphone/dp/B00BJ17WKK to use for mic duties when gaming.

Does anyone know if these could be recabled for balanced connection ? Would love to see what they sound like from my Mjolnir.

You don't find them a  bit \ _ _ _ shaped ? I find em slightly woolly hard to explain the details are there but they are slightly veiled ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back