[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jan 25, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #3,646 of 5,962
  OMG, I have tried a few different cables with this and the difference is .............hardly there if at all. I have recabled many headphones and some, usually older, headphones do have a little change, this isn't one of them. The greater resistance to he stock cable will make a lower ohm cable seem brighter, but that's mostly a volume increase. 

In my expericne, it's not a volume issue.  It's a matter of clarity in the high lows and low mids.  Where trumpets and high percussion instruments hang out.  There is a muffled sound in that range on my X1's that is alleviated when I change the cable.  

YMMV.  Your ears may not be sensitive to that range, or your music may not be focused there.

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #3,648 of 5,962
  What kind of music do you listen to?  To me, the muddiness and constrained highs was immediately apparent with the stock cable after switching from my D7000's.  Both issues were quite clearly addressed by swapping the stock cable with my old Beats cable.  The only way I could imagine different findings is if the music you're listening to simply doesn't spend a lot of time in the areas of sound where that cable's problems are highlighted.

I was listening to the Man of Steel soundtrack and some John Coltrane and I'd pick the Beats cable 10 times out of 10.  Those upper-lows and lower-mids that the stock cable struggles with are no problem with this Beats cable.  Not to mention the treble improvement.

YMMV, of course.

Kpop, ballads, metal, rock, OSTs, almost everything.

The reason I say I love the stock cable? Well apart from it looking so nice, I was also watching... Man of Steel. The stock cable "muddying" the mids actually makes movies bettere IMO. Sure the X1 isn't known to have fatiguing mids, but damn... the stock cable sounds as good as the mediabridge cable that I've used since day 1 last year. If the bass actually became more bloaty (which I believe is almost placebo), so be it. It's enjoyable regardless.

Perhaps, you hear a difference (and I respect that you do).. but the perception of the stock cable being absolute garbage is blown out of propotion. It's not that BIG of a difference.

Quote:

BLASPHEMYYY!!!

I don't really hear much difference.

Here's my opinion on the cable:

I think some people take any issues they have with the sound on a piece of gear and then blame it all on the first interchangeable part.  I see this happen a lot with the Fidelio X1 - people listen to it and then blame any issues they have with the sound on its stock cable (with it's 1 ohm of extra resistance
eek.gif
). Add in a dose of placebo and expectation bias, and all their issues with the sound seem to magically get fixed as soon as they use a different cable (I've seen people state they hear "night and day differences" when switching out cables).  The cable starts becoming the scapegoat for everyone's issues.  After this process of people blaming their problems on the cable repeats for a while, people eventually start labeling the stock cable as "lousy","garbage", "trash", etc.  New people who get the headphones read the negative remarks and often just conform to the idea that the cable actually is garbage, and then they voice it themselves - and the cycle repeats.

Agreed chico, absolutely agree with your opinion. 

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #3,649 of 5,962
Sorry guys ... but if "normal" cables are being used (like the original Philips, or any other cable that can handle the "power") you simply can't hear a difference.

Subjectively maybe ... the same way you think you are a better sportsman when wearing sneakers with the newest design.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #3,650 of 5,962
There are simply too many factors involved to say "this is how it is for everyone."

Since you're the one listening, no one else can tell you what you're hearing. Don't let others dictate what you "should be hearing".

Maybe the cable matters for you and maybe it doesn't.

I have some left over materials and would be happy to make a 'tour cable' if anyone would like to judge for themselves before buying a cable.

I'll ship to the first person but each would have to pay the shipping sending it out. Usually $1.75 with USPS first class.

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #3,651 of 5,962
There are simply too many factors involved to say "this is how it is for everyone."

Since you're the one listening, no one else can tell you what you're hearing. Don't let others dictate what you "should be hearing".

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #3,653 of 5,962

I have some left over materials and would be happy to make a 'tour cable' if anyone would like to judge for themselves before buying a cable.

I'll ship to the first person but each would have to pay the shipping sending it out. Usually $1.75 with USPS first class.

great idea, I think this experiment could really clear things up. 
Keep us posted, please

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #3,655 of 5,962
Anyone has any idea of which cable(reasonably priced of course) has the lowest resistance? I have tried a monoprice premium quality cable, M80 cable and the stock cable and the mono price sounds best to me but is very heavy. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #3,657 of 5,962
  Got my Amazon deal X1's today..............thrilled to report out of vintage amps they sound amazing.  Very good bass............yeah, I think they are basshead phones.  Out of my Pioneer Spec 1/2 rack system they are rocking big time.

I'm back on the bandwagon as well. I had some issues with Amazon when I bought my first pair (for $350 last summer -- crazy) and I couldn't pass up the $149. Glad to have them back
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #3,659 of 5,962
My X1 has just arrived and I cant believe I got them for 150$. This is my first big open headphone Ive purchased. The first song I fired up was Downstream by Shira Kammen. What's immediately apparent is the wide stage, layered sound, and base that hits with authority from distinct directions. Currently I'm using the C&C BH2 and Clip Zip. I'm resisting pulling the trigger on X3 or D50, but I'm extremely happy now with the X1.

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #3,660 of 5,962
Good match, the X1 and C&C BH. I have both also and got the X1 at $149. I also bought the cheap alternate cable, Mediabridge, a 4-footer because I really like the short cable (use the X1 sitting down, not moving around). No, it's not neutral, but it's hardly a bass cannon as some have callled it. I think the bass is just right, after about 30 hours of burn-in. I am using the BH with all three switches on (SF, LF and Hi gain). I just like it that way. My source is iPod Classic (160GB) with ALAC files. But even ampless on my iPhone 5, the X1 sounds excellent. I do prefer how the amp brings out the best qualities (soundstage, details, air) but not chopped liver out of the iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back