New pair of IEMs
Jan 6, 2013 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

DavvyJones96

New Head-Fier
Looking for a pair of mid-range IEMs. I've mulled around the subject for over a year now, considering I was counting on UE's "yearly" TF10 Pro $99.99 Black Friday sale which didn't seem to happen this year. I've considered a few others, such as (once I have the free cash) the Westone 4R for my high end pair and the SE-535. I'm trying to stay sub-$200 with this buy. I've also seen the Ortofon EQ5 and EQ7, and would love to pick them up, but they're a little out of my range since they're semi-rare. I'm very open to the idea of using a portable amp, as well, and if some paired with an amp outclass others, let me know and with which amp(s). I listen to alt rock, indie, punk rock, classic rock, metal, a little electronic, slight dubstep, and a few other minor interests. Durability would be a plus, but not absolutely necessary. Extras are also nice. I just want an IEM that I will not regret spending the money on. Also looking for portable amp suggestions. Thanks!

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 65
I would say the Shure 215s, they're a really good all-around pair of IEMs. If you're willing to go up in that price range I would recommend the Westone 3, check out a few reviews here, you may find them to your tastes. Better yet if you can test them out near your area, get a feel of the sound for yourself. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 65
The B2(overall very detailed and balanced), HF5(very crisp, clean sounding but little on cold side), GR07 (offers fairly wide soundstage, great bass response and good overall clarity) are better buy because they show Greater details in music and improve well with AMPs help and they will match well these genres music.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 65
To be honest, all of those listed are great. I have used the Shure 215s and I like them. They also feel like a tank (sturdy). I currently use the UE 600 and I love them, but they are weaker on the Bass side. I strongly recommend them if you like less bass. The 700 I heard takes care of what the 600 were lacking, but at the cost of sturdiness. I heard they were on the more fragile side. Also, the Klipsch X10's are great as well, and should be considered. They are marked down quite a bit from list price on amazon (from $350 to around $100), but they tend to live around the $150 area. They are remarkably light and sound great overall in my opinion. Though, similarly to the UE 700, they tend to live on the more fragile side. That being said, I have talked to customer service for both companies, and they are amazing. They make sure you are satisfied regardless. I have even called Klipsch about building a speaker before, and they were very courteous and were very knowledgeable.

Hope this helps!

~Kami 

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 65
So, of the UE 700s, SE-215, and X10s, what would you suggest, Kami? I know I can go out anytime to Guitar Center and pick up the SE-215s for the same low price as on Amazon. If it were you, which one would you have over the others?

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 65
I can vouch for the X10s, they are a really great pair of IEMs, I would prefer them over the SE215 because of the hard case, as well as the hang down design so I dont have to play with them in order to get them in. But I can say the SE215 has more bass than the X10. 

Im not great at it but I have a full review of the X10s linked in my signature if you wanna check it out, may give you a better hold on them.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 65

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

If you are willing to go a bit up in your budget then you can check out the Audio Technica ATH-CK10.
These are the IEMs which ultimately stopped my quest for a better earphones.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 65
the shure cables are known for breaking and personally the swivelling memory cable is horrible to use

best to go to a store and try them out to see which sound signature you like best

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 65
I agree with all statements above, ESPECIALLY about trying them out before you buy them if you can. I'm personally partial to the X10 over the Shure, due to the case and the lightness of the IEM as well as the overall mostly neutral sound signature with a warm bass than the Shure 215 (which has a more orkminant bass), but that is MY preference, and I'm sure no two people have the same preference. My hunch, is that you'll fair best if you can get an opportunity to try both, then make the decision.

Hope this helps!

~Kami

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 65
Ok. So, I've done some narrowing down. Between the UE 700, HiFiMan RE-262, Klipsch X10, and VSonic GR07. vive mentioned the ATH-CK10s and they are certainly interesting, albeit far out of my range. To be honest, I feel like prior to this, I would have already bought the 700s, if not due to the renowned cable fragility. I have not heard any of the, though, and since doing more research I've come to be more open. I hear that the RE-262s are amazing with an amp. Would anyone go so far as to say better than any of these others WITHOUT an amp?

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #12 of 65
If you want some all around IEMs I would say Klipsch Image X10. If you want some all around IEMs with more bass Id say SE215.

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #13 of 65
If you want some all around IEMs I would say Klipsch Image X10. If you want some all around IEMs with more bass Id say SE215.

I agree with this. Though the UE 700 is a great IEM, I think the 215 or the X10 beats it out. I think either of these would be more than satisfactory, but I prefer the X10 personally. You can't go wrong with any of these though.

~Kami

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #15 of 65
Quote:
You can still often get a pair of Triple Fi 10's off ebay for sub 200 prices. The trading section for IEM's also have some TF10's for cheap.

But those you must try out first, as I would say that most people find them uncomfortable to wear. If they fit, they are great, and sound amazing. Definitely try them out first. Most people state they love the sound, but many gripe of the feel of them.

~Kami

Users who are viewing this thread

Back