New pair of headphones after 2 years of AD-700
Oct 27, 2012 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gmreplay

New Head-Fier
After much research I purchased the AD-700 about two years ago. I use my headphones only around the house, and mostly for listening to podcasts and gaming. The 700s are super comfortable and sound quite clear, but don't have much bass, and let in way too much sound.

I'm looking for a pair of hearphones around $125 that have stronger bass for gaming, and that block as much sound as possible, while still maintaining comfort (I have a big head) and overall audio quality. 

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 8
You might want to check out the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. There isolation is unbeatable. When am wearing them for gaming, music and movies its like am wearing earplugs with no outside distractions. They grip on pretty strong to the head but most people still find them comfortable. I havent had any issues with comfort. I also have the Audio Technica Ath AD700 so i know what you mean by too much outside noise coming in. Where am at its almost impossible to use them unless its in the middle of the night when things are quiet otherwise i found myself using speakers. Fortunately i came across the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro this past summer and have been blissfully disconnected. Its my go to headphone along with the ultra comfortable Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250 ohm version) i picked up two weeks ago which surprised me with its isolation and soundstage though not as expansive as the Ath AD700.

Both of these have old time bass quality one would have listened to in the 1970s/80s/90s from a good reciever and speakers before the thumping boom booms became popular but not the extreme basshead lovers level of it. Still its way more then the Audio Technica Ath AD700 has.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 8
I went with ATH M-50s.  As I'm doing more research people are saying the soundstage is rather narrow and thus not great for gaming. I've also realized that I should mention size is no issue, but cable length is. I would prefer a coiled cable so I can navigate around the house with my phone in my pocket without dragging a cord behind me. 

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 8
What about the A700? It's very much like the AD700 but it's closed. It totes a bit more bass and sacrifices a bit on the soundstage, but it might be what you're looking for.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 8
That's not a terrible idea but I believe they have the ultra long cord, and I'm looking for something with significantly more bass if I can get it. I'll definitely look into it though. 

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 8
The Superlux HD668B come with a 10' and 3' cable.

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 8
I got a pair of ATH M50. They sound fine, though no better than my AD-700s from what I can tell. I really do like the isolation, cord, and general design of the cans. Unfortunately the sound isn't different or bassier enough to justify my purchase. Also I find the set generally uncomfortable compared to my AD-700s. 

My new question is this- is there a way to turn AD-700s in to A-700s? Can I just replace the metal mesh with solid cups from the A-700 and be done with it? 

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
After much research I purchased the AD-700 about two years ago. I use my headphones only around the house, and mostly for listening to podcasts and gaming. The 700s are super comfortable and sound quite clear, but don't have much bass, and let in way too much sound.

I'm looking for a pair of hearphones around $125 that have stronger bass for gaming, and that block as much sound as possible, while still maintaining comfort (I have a big head) and overall audio quality. 

Heya,

Beyer DT770 PRO

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back