New pair: AKG K501 vs Senn HD555
Jul 23, 2008 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Marcel_D

New Head-Fier
It's probably strange to compare these two headphones but my reasoning for this is because the 555's are the only reference I have when it comes to higher end headphones. I was able to listen to a broken in, amplified pair for a few hours and although I did enjoy them, they left me wanting something more. I found the bass to be overwhelming in most cases and had to reduce it on the pre-amp to continue listening. I was in a somewhat noisy environment so I did have to play the phones louder than normal to do any critical listening. That may or may not have been the reason for the excess bass. Now compared to what I normally listen to the Senn's were very revealing but I found the vocals and the high end to be more laid back than I liked.

The music I was listening to was a mix of everything. Instrumental, classical, electronic, bluegrass, rock, pop etc. I don't like to bind myself to a specific genre, but the majority of my music consists of various types of instrumental music. On the other hand, my scratch built 3-way towers which I listen to several times a day tend to bring out the vocals in most music. In regards to bass, the they go down low, but not loud.

Basing my opinion on what I've heard from the 555s while still maintaining a budget, it seems like I would be satisfied with a pair of AKG 501s. The problem is I've heard too many mixed opinions to believe thats the right choice.

Any advice on what I should buy?

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 23
just for kicks, a lot of people rate the K501 above the K701. I've not heard of anybody rating the HD555 over the 650 or even the 595 for that matter. But the K501 seems to be very picky with amps, the 555 is not.

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 23
i think my k501 is a wonderful headphone
huge soundstage, but a bit airy and thin for it to be a "regular" headphone in my listening

compared to my hd555, they do classical and more mellow music better

if it helps, they sound the most like an etymotic er4p

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 23
K501, for sure !
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think my k501 is a wonderful headphone
huge soundstage, but a bit airy and thin for it to be a "regular" headphone in my listening

I agree, although those two problems can be resolved with the 701 pads. With the 701 pads the 501's airiness is pulled back a little, the highs are slightly rolled off and the bass is improved. Oh, and the mids still sound out of this world.

My 501's with the 701 pads are kicking my HD580's @$$ right now in just about every way. With the exception of the 580's bass of course.

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #9 of 23
Ive always been interested in the lower end AKG's... Do these and the 601's do good with rock and metal etc..??

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive always been interested in the lower end AKG's... Do these and the 601's do good with rock and metal etc..??

I prefer Grados for rock and what little metal I listen to. That being said, I was listening to Dark Side of the Moon a couple of days ago with the K501s and was simply blown away.

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #13 of 23
The K501s are still being sold? I must be looking in the wrong places...

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Decel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K501s are still being sold? I must be looking in the wrong places...

Well if you get desparate, there's a seller on ebay that sells them for an outrageous price with apparently an equally outrageous shipping cost. Other than that, you'll have to patient on the FS forums here or audiogon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back