New Oppo BD-83SE and Nuforce Edition.
Nov 12, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #16 of 69
The oppo BDP-83 does not support any lossless file formats over USB. It's also FAT32 and does not support files over 4 GB. Just an FYI. I have the BDP-83 and love it. Fantastic player and insane standard DVD upscaling performance.

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #17 of 69
That $400 quad Sabre ES9016 DAC board looks very interesting. I wonder if Nuforce can put it in some case with decent power supply and make a major bang-for-your-buck DAC for under $1000. Proper USB input would be nice too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #18 of 69
BDP-83 is already pretty darn good with SACD and CD play. With this "SE", it ups the already great performance by quite a margin. If you believe Buffalo is a good DAC, then by all means, this should be pretty darn good CD/SACD/DVD-A player then.

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #19 of 69
Here is the link to Nuforce's Q and A about the three Oppos.
NuForce.com - High End Products - OPPO NuForce Edition

I don't know if Nuforce will sell outside the USA, but for you folks outside the USA you may want to ask Nuforce if they will sell the BDP-83SE Nuforce Edition.

And don't forget that there is a pre-order discount of 10% on the total MSRP of $1299 for the Nuforce Edition and free FedEx shipping for the USA.
Here is a link to the Nuforce Edition page, just click on the 10% pre-oder link.
NuForce.com - High End Products - OPPO BDP-83SE Nuforce Edition

I should have my Nuforce Edition by a week from this Friday.
tongue_smile.gif

ss

Nov 12, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #20 of 69
It looks like Nuforce Edition is sold out for now.

We have temporary sold out of BDP-83SE NuForce Edition. Please check back on Nov 16 for further announcement

ss

Nov 12, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #21 of 69
I will pass on this one as I don't see the any available inputs nor xlr outputs.

With those two, I would probably jump on it immediately.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #22 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked how I could get the upgrade done in Canada, and this was their response:

"I'm sorry, but this upgrade it not available to Canadian customers."

Looks like I'm out of luck. That's a bit of a slap in the face; they were perfectly willing to sell me the unit a few months ago, but now I can't upgrade. Oppo as a company does a lot of things well but this is pretty weak.

You can upgrade your BDP-83 in Toronto
smily_headphones1.gif

Canuck Audio Mart • View topic - Oppo BDP-83SE Don't you hate it when this happens!

Nov 15, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #24 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That $400 quad Sabre ES9016 DAC board looks very interesting. I wonder if Nuforce can put it in some case with decent power supply and make a major bang-for-your-buck DAC for under $1000. Proper USB input would be nice too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, under $1,000 would be very nice indeed.
Let's hope that can be done in the future.

For now, we have the Headroom Ultra Desktop DAC, which is built around the Sabre and is $1,299, power supply extra:

HeadRoom Ultra Desktop DAC - Digital Analog Converter | HeadRoom Audio

Nov 15, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #25 of 69
Nov 15, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #26 of 69
Quote:

Ultra Desktop is an interesting DAC but its overpriced just like the $500 desktop speaker stands.

HeadRoom Speaker Stand Pair - Speaker Parts | HeadRoom Audio

Hmmmm.....And you know this how?

I suspect there's more to this American-made and designed product than the cost of sticking a Sabre DAC in an enclosure.

Perhaps someone from Headroom would comment.

Nov 15, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #27 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm.....And you know this how?

I suspect there's more to this American-made and designed product than the cost of sticking a Sabre DAC in an enclosure.

Perhaps someone from Headroom would comment.

There is nothing special about being made/designed in US, a Chinese equivalent can outperform it and vice-versa. A good dac is a good dac, regardless where its made. As for Ultra DAC, take a look at what you can get for ~$1300 from Benchmark, Lavry, PS Audio, Audio-gd, etc.

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #28 of 69
As far as I know, the Headroom Ultra dac is one of about 3 commercially available dac's that use the sabre chip, the other two costing around 1299 and 6500$. The DIY kit is around 500$ + case. So if your a do it yourselfer you could perhaps build one for 600$. But I doubt you will get the fit and finish. I think if you have one built for you, your still looking at a grand. And american made is more worthwhile then you give it credit. Compare the solder work, support, and quality control. American made wins.. big time. 90% of the time. You got to pay for quality though.

Edit: and to make it clear, in any business, be it AC repair, plumbing, locksmithing, car repair.. twice cost is the standard markup. Regular business model there.

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #29 of 69
the upgrade looks interesting. I'm seriously considering upgrading my BDP-83, just waiting for a few people to get them back and post impressions. As a whole the stock unit is very good IMO.

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #30 of 69
Quote:

As for Ultra DAC, take a look at what you can get for ~$1300 from Benchmark, Lavry, PS Audio, Audio-gd, etc.

I did -- I looked closely at every one of those brands during my research over the past several months.

Then I went back to where I bought my first headamp seven years ago: to Headroom. The folks up in Montana worked with me, let me try out some gear, and gave me their best advice (which BTW, was NOT to buy the most expensive gear.)

I ended up getting my desktop electronics from them. The sound is sweet, and I got to listen to the gear before I bought it. And if I ever need help, these guys have proven they are dependable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back