New (OLD) Turntable. (56K warning)
Mar 17, 2006 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
I finally broke down and put together another vinyl rig. I’ve been lurking on ebay bidding on classic Denon (DP-80’s), Technics (SP-15’s) and Luxmans. I finally won a Luxman PD270 (Vintage 77) on which I mounted my Dynavector DV-505 Tonearm (Vintage 87). I’m using a Grado Gold moving iron cartridge. Right now I’m using the phono stage from my Rotel RX-850 receiver. The Tonearm Cable is Siltech’s Avondale G6.
turntable1.jpg

turntable2.jpg

Now that I am up and running I have dug out the Ultimate Reference Disc and I am ready to get down and get funky!
playing.jpg

I’m trying to decide on a decent budget phono stage. I’m on a strict budget. These are the models that I am considering. Please share your experiences with any of these phono stages.

Bellari VP129
Musical Surroundings Phonomena
Pro-Ject Tube Box
Lehmann Black Cube Phono Preamp
Channel Island Audio VHP•1
Monolithic Sound PS-2

Thanks

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 18
lol, funkytown.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 18
Looks like a nice score! That Siltech tonearm looks quite good, I may have to look into one whenever I find a TT for a decent price. How much do those retail for?

I've heard a LOT of nice feedback on the Bellari VP129, and have done hours of research. There are also quite a few good DIY designs out there, which may be a bit cheaper.

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #5 of 18
Have you considered Graham Slee's Special Edition Gram Amp 2? I believe it is a phono stage within your price range and a notable contender at its price point and even somewhat above. Furthermore, it has received numerous professional recommendations and awards.

Mar 17, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 18
The Graham Slee looks like it would be a contender. However the Graham Slee is only available direct from England, and I do not buy a product that does not have US distribution and support.

Mar 17, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #7 of 18
Nice set-up. Lux made some very interesting tables in the late 70's and early 80's, with innovations like a vacuum pump to securely clamp the vinyl to the platter.
These are seriously collectible and many European audiophiles I've come accross swear by them although the choice of tonearm is more commonly SME 3009 II or Helius Aureus.
Never heard a Dynavector arm but I remember they weren't well reviewed in the UK at the time probably because they wouldn't work on a suspended subchassis deck like the LP12 which ruled the flat earth back in those days.
Serious Japanese exotica!
What about the Trichord Dino? is that in your pricerange? or the Naim Stageline.

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
Nice set-up. Lux made some very interesting tables in the late 70's and early 80's, with innovations like a vacuum pump to securely clamp the vinyl to the platter.
These are seriously collectible and many European audiophiles I've come accross swear by them although the choice of tonearm is more commonly SME 3009 II or Helius Aureus.
Never heard a Dynavector arm but I remember they weren't well reviewed in the UK at the time probably because they wouldn't work on a suspended subchassis deck like the LP12 which ruled the flat earth back in those days.
Serious Japanese exotica!
What about the Trichord Dino? is that in your pricerange? or the Naim Stageline.

The Trichord = No US distributor
Naim = Now on my list.

Thanks

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
The Graham Slee looks like it would be a contender. However the Graham Slee is only available direct from England, and I do not buy a product that does not have US distribution and support.

I do not believe that to be true. Where do you hear that Slee does not have US support and distribution?
confused.gif

Anyway, I purchased a Graham Slee Era Gold V from Walter at Underwood Hi Fi for a very reasonable price (www.underwoodhifi.com) in GA. He also gave me a great price on the Gram Amp 2, but I opted to step up when I decided to get the Scout instead of the MMF-5. I believe www.lpgear.com located in Nevada is the Slee US distribution (but I am not 100% sure about this). Also www.amusicdirect.com in IL carries Slee products as well. I am pretty sure there were some other US dealers on the web, but I can’t remember the others off the top of my head.

I hope this dispels any misconception you had about US Graham Slee support and distribution or alternatively you can enlighten me with some contrary information.

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #10 of 18
Why is it the name "Graham Slee" reminds me of a television sports trainer. "Workout with Graham Slee... Mondays at 11"
icon10.gif

P.S. nice table Yikes... me loves vintage turntables
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
I do not believe that to be true. Where do you hear that Slee does not have US support and distribution?
confused.gif

Anyway, I purchased a Graham Slee Era Gold V from Walter at Underwood Hi Fi for a very reasonable price (www.underwoodhifi.com) in GA. He also gave me a great price on the Gram Amp 2, but I opted to step up when I decided to get the Scout instead of the MMF-5. I believe www.lpgear.com located in Nevada is the Slee US distribution (but I am not 100% sure about this). Also www.amusicdirect.com in IL carries Slee products as well. I am pretty sure there were some other US dealers on the web, but I can’t remember the others off the top of my head.

I hope this dispels any misconception you had about US Graham Slee support and distribution or alternatively you can enlighten me with some contrary information.

There is no distribution listed on their web site. Usually if you can buy from the manufacturer the distribution tends to be poor. I'll check into US distribution.

Thanks

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

There is no distribution listed on their web site. Usually if you can buy from the manufacturer the distribution tends to be poor. I'll check into US distribution.

Thanks

Sorry to say, but this sounds like more misinformation....
eek.gif

There is a US distributor listed on the Graham Slee website.

Here is the link to the page either click on the United States of America near the top or scroll down to the bottom and look under the United State of America title.

http://www.grahamslee.com/shopping/d...20of%20America

Mar 18, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
Sorry to say, but this sounds like more misinformation....
eek.gif

There is a US distributor listed on the Graham Slee website.

Here is the link to the page either click on the United States of America near the top or scroll down to the bottom and look under the United State of America title.

http://www.grahamslee.com/shopping/d...20of%20America

This morning I may have been on their old website (they may have just changed), or I may have just missed it
redface.gif
. I now see that in the US they have an Importer.

I really want to try and find something domestic. Perhaps the CIA VHP-1, or the Musical Surroundings Phonomena. I’m leaning towards the Phonomena because it can be further improved (when I have the funds) by adding the battery power supply.

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

This morning I may have been on their old website (they may have just changed), or I may have just missed it
redface.gif
. I now see that in the US they have an Importer.

I really want to try and find something domestic. Perhaps the CIA VHP-1, or the Musical Surroundings Phonomena. I’m leaning towards the Phonomena because it can be further improved (when I have the funds) by adding the battery power supply.

I am not familiar with the Phonomena, but I almost certain that the CIA VHP-1 has the dedicated power supply upgrade option as well. This is also true with the Gram Amp 2, but if you are only considering domestic then it really doesn't matter. Yet you should know that the Gram Amp 2 has probably received more awards and accolades than all of the phono stages discussed in this thread combined. I personally don’t put too much credence in reviews, but when you have nearly a dozen reviewers expressing extremely high praise over a particular product such the Gram Amp 2, I interpret such reviews as more trustworthy and reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back