New Nagra HD DAC
Sep 20, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #16 of 820
@isquirrel, if you're considering the Chord models, you should be aware that the maker has said that they are working on a new desktop model to bring in the lessons learned from their much-raved-about portable Hugo, which some say is as good or better than their more expensive current desktop models. It may be months away, it may be years, but it promises to be a significant improvement..

This of course is countered by the notion that, if you always wait for next year's model, you'll never buy anything :xf_eek:)

Sep 20, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #17 of 820
  @isquirrel, if you're considering the Chord models, you should be aware that the maker has said that they are working on a new desktop model to bring in the lessons learned from their much-raved-about portable Hugo, which some say is as good or better than their more expensive current desktop models. It may be months away, it may be years, but it promises to be a significant improvement..

This of course is countered by the notion that, if you always wait for next year's model, you'll never buy anything :xf_eek:)

Chord are planning on releasing the new QBD76 either just before and at the CES in January 15. I currently have the Hugo and rate it highly.

I have to make call on whether DSD playback is important or not as the DAC I am most interested in does not offer that and eschews a lot of new tech, having said that I believe it could well be the the best DAC for me.

Computer Audio Design - CAD

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #18 of 820
@isquirrel, you seem way ahead of me on this, so I'll just leave with a 
popcorn.gif
for your impressions.

The CAD does indeed look interesting (and a local UK company as well), but its extreme minimalist design (e.g. USB-only input, no DSD) probably won't work for me. I'm not against minimalist designs in principle, but dropping my Nagra CDC as a transport was not in the game plan.

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #19 of 820
  @isquirrel, you seem way ahead of me on this, so I'll just leave with a 
popcorn.gif
for your impressions.

The CAD does indeed look interesting (and a local UK company as well), but its extreme minimalist design (e.g. USB-only input, no DSD) probably won't work for me. I'm not against minimalist designs in principle, but dropping my Nagra CDC as a transport was not in the game plan.

also, note that the CAD DAC play natif only 16 bits.  it is not a 24 bits chip.  

A very Brave minimalist approach !  Some sort of commercial suicide !

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #20 of 820
Not so sure about that, they are doing well by all reports.

I ordered both the DAC and the CAT Transport/streamer today. Expect to have them in 2 weeks or so, 99% of my music is 16/44 anyway.

I shall report when I have some listening impressions.

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #21 of 820
Sep 24, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #22 of 820
Have had to cancel my order with Computer Audio Design as they don't have the appropriate CE certification for Aus. I have also listened to some wiser heads who think its too big a risk without DSD support (would make resale very hard) so the Kryphon Kalliope is on its way to me, for a week. 

I am setting the bar at the highest level for this purchase so it will have to be very special. Will post photos when it arrives.

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #23 of 820
Just posted a comparison of the Chord DX1000 with pics over at the Chord Hugo thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/8340

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #24 of 820
According to the 6 moon's review: "
For headfi Nagra claim that the ¼" jack is no afterthought or convenience item but a very serious solution. In fact Matthieu reported that a French client had bought an HD DAC for just that purpose. He doesn't have speakers in his Paris flat nor his vacation pad. But he does own very high-zoot headphones. Now he simply packs the HD DAC into his suitcase and moves between both places. In short, the HD DAC could be an ultimate speaker-free desktop or monitoring system."

Sep 28, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #25 of 820
According to the 6 moon's review: "For headfi Nagra claim that the ¼" jack is no afterthought or convenience item but a very serious solution.

Well this will be very interesting but... It remain to be proven. Indeed I have à hard time to believe that the internal amp, which is hosted in a single circuit board can compeete with large and heavy dedicated headphone amp which house much more circuit, bigger capacitors, heavy transformers...

I will try to go to Bruxelles soon test to listen to it snd try it's headphone output indeed my dealer in Bruxelles received just received one NAGRA DSD DAC.

I will keept you informed

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #26 of 820
Well this will be very interesting but... It remain to be proven. Indeed I have à hard time to believe that the internal amp, which is hosted in a single circuit board can compeete with large and heavy dedicated headphone amp which house much more circuit, bigger capacitors, heavy transformers...

I will try to go to Bruxelles soon test to listen to it snd try it's headphone output indeed my dealer in Bruxelles received just received one NAGRA DSD DAC.

I will keept you informed

Very interested in your impressions, I agree with your comments re the internal headphone amp. It would be a beautiful thing if it truly is a total solution, but where would be the fun in that!

Oct 15, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #27 of 820
Does someone know where I can download the HD DAC's user manual ?  I can't find it ?

( I read that " One can configure the headphone amp internally ", but I don't see what do this mean )

thanks

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #28 of 820
Comparing the Berkeley Alpha DAC Reference Serie DAC and the NAGRA HD DAC will be interesting :

Similar pricing but totally opposite approach (Berkley do not play DSD, NAGRA convert everything internally to DSD).

Who is right ? :)

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #29 of 820
Good news, I made an appointment with my dealer to listen the NAGRA HD DAC 
tongue.gif
  It is very high in my list.

I will come with my own HD Tracks and also to compare my HUGO & my ED5 Headphone.  I hope to hear a real step-up from my HUGO...:)   I will tell you...

I also consider The Berkley Ref DAC for his (supposed) excellence with 16/44 that are 90% of my library (I want to avoid a DAC that is good ONLY with 24/192 or 24/96), but... I am concerned by it's total lack of USB and DSD support !  A brave but...extreme approach !

So... I hope that the NAGRA is not sublime ONLY with DSD and 24 bits HD files .... ??

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #30 of 820
Maybe this is the best thread to be discussing these DAC's ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back