New NAD C542 -> Perreaux -> HD650 Combo
Jun 6, 2004 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

whmacs

New Head-Fier
Hi All,
I'd just like to say thanks to this forum for the assistance it provided me is selecting the above combo. While I didn't post many questions, I spent a lot of time reading other people's posts. I've had this combo for a week now set up at work, so I get to listen about six hours a day. The detail and clarity are outstanding. This was really driven home to me on the weekend when I put some music on my home theatre (Rotel RSP-1098 / RMB-1075 / RB-1070 with Jamo THX speakers). While the Jamo THX seakers aren't that musical, they are quite detailed (for speakers). They didn't hold a candle to the head phone combo I've been listening to all week! HDCD is also outstanding on the NAD. So thanks for all the assistance.

Regards,
Stephen

Jun 6, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 10
Hmpf, as a Nad C542, Perreaux, Senn 600 listener, you're not making my Senn 650 envy any easier.
wink.gif

They're the headphones I originally auditioned this source with, and it's not that I'm unhappy with the Senn 600s, it was just I was even more happy with the 650s. Enjoy the music!
600smile.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 10
Congratulations on the new rig. The NAD is really a nice piece of equipment, even with standard CDs, and the HDCD feature is icing on the cake. Glad you're please with the setup. You should be set for a long time with the NAD/Perreaux/650 trio.

If you keep your distance from Head-Fi!
evil_smiley.gif

Enjoy,

BW

Jun 7, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 10
Whmacs,

Congrats on your new rig. Jealous I am.

Curious though. What do you do for a living that affords you the luxury to listen to your rig six hours a day?

Enjoy

Jun 7, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 10
Congrats! My setup (Arcam 73, Perreaux, HD650) is sonically similar to yours, as I've found NADs and Arcams to be pretty close to one another. I love my setup... so I'm just guessing you're going to love yours too.
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for all the kind words guys, its much appreciated. I develop software for a living, so I spend a lot of time staring at a screen (Between talking to people, phone calls and meetings, I'd get to listen between 4 - 6 hours a day). It made sense to me to set up the rig at work as this is where I get most of my quality listening done (while working on software of course
biggrin.gif
) At home the HT gear is set up in the family room and with three kids and open headphones, it hard to get 'quite time'...)
A large number of people listen to music (mp3', CD's) via headphones through their computers in my office. Its a little embassing when people walk past and ask "What's that?" I then explain that it just a CD player and headphone amp. The next question usually is "why do you need those?, why not just use the CD in your computer?" You then give them a listen of the HD650's and observe the stunned look on their face...
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as the Jamo speakers go I have at home, they are Jamo THX D6LCR (left centre right) and D6PEX (sides and backs) with the 15" D6SUB (7.1 setup). These speakers are designed to the THX standard. Absolutely outstanding for HT due to the deep bass, clarity and dipolar surround effects, but lacking musically due to there 80Hz cut off with all bass directed to the sub, this causes bass to be a bit 'muddy' with music.

cheers,
Stephen

Jun 7, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by turn1200
Dude,

Sweet setup. If you don't mind my asking, what's the overhead on something like that (US)?

Hi Turn,
I purchased the NAD and HD650 through my local dealer an he gave me a good discount (by Australian standards at least). The Perreaux I purchsed through a dealer in Sydney.
The costs where:
NAD $599 AUD = $419 USD
Perreaux $650 AUD = $455 USD
HD650 $700 AUD = $490 USD

I could of got the above a bit cheaper via mail order, but I have a good relationship with my local dealer (they did my HT install and they have helped me out in the past). To give you some idea of how damn expensive things like this are here in OZ the recommended retail prices are:
NAD $699 AUD
Perreaux $700 AUD
HD650 $900 AUD

cheers,
Stephen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back