NEW! Monster DNA headphones
Dec 21, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #121 of 212
I like the bass of the M80 better personally, but I am keeping the DNA over the M80 as I aforementioned because of the better comfort. 

So on another note the DNA sound went out from the left speaker for me today. I unplug the cable from the headphones and plug it in and it is working again. Do you guys think I should go back to the store and exchange it for another one, or am I just being a bit paranoid? 

Dec 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #124 of 212
Just exchange them then. You can get a new one, maybe get another color if you want. 
L3000.gif

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #125 of 212
So how does the DNA sound compared to something like the Audio Technica a900x (also about $200 price point)?  Not the AD900x but the closed back a900x cans.  Or how about the Audio Technica M50 ($120)?  Just trying to get an idea of what the DNA would sound like compared to these.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #127 of 212
Although I am always very impressed with bass,
For me, most music and enjoyment still comes from the mids and highs,
So I am assuming that a bassier can may affect the mids,
So can anyone please compare tbis "DNA" model with against an m80 on the mids highs soundstage and detail?
Sorry I haven't read whole thread in case this has been done already.

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #129 of 212
So, I returned my DNA to BB for another pair. So far these seem to have slightly better build quality, but after 30 hours of burn in so far the SQ is a slightly a bit darker/warmer(specially in the mids), which I am not fully fond of vs the other DNA I had. I plan to do another 30-60 more hours of burn in and see how it comes out by then.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #130 of 212
Quote:
So, I returned my DNA to BB for another pair. So far these seem to have slightly better build quality, but after 30 hours of burn in so far the SQ is a slightly a bit darker/warmer(specially in the mids), which I am not fully fond of vs the other DNA I had. I plan to do another 30-60 more hours of burn in and see how it comes out by then.

That's funny because I had two pairs as well as one had a pad that was coming apart at the seam, so I swapped them out and thought the second pair wasn't quite as good as the first.  Seems to be a bit of a variant among pairs, but then again, it could just be the burn in.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #132 of 212
I just picked up a pair of DNAs. I have nothing against Monster, Apple, Bose, Coke, or any other corporation. I don't care if enthusiasts think Monsters are fashion accessories. I just want some portable HPs that sound good with my gear, price/value is secondary. I have a set of Audio-Technica M50s/LE for reference. Source is iPhone 5, 15" Macbook Pro retina.

While I enjoy the M50s, they are simply too big to be portable. Too honkin' big to wear around your neck walking around an airport, and the non-detachable, mile-long cable is a tangled mess to deal with. 

The DNAs are reasonably comfortable but won't last a marathon (+4h)  session. Clamping force is just right for my smallish head. They are lightweight so that when the music moves you, the cans won't fall off your head. I'm digging the short, flat, detachable cable. It can be jacked into either earpiece. Either 3.5mm can be used to share music with a nearby friend. Nice touch. Build quality is plasticky but I'm careful with my stuff so durability is not an issue for me.

I am pleased with the SQ. While I know it isn't flat, I don't prefer a flat FR. It sounds boring. Maybe good for folks who likes music from the pages of Stereophile, but I like my tunes to be more exciting. It tends to be slightly darker, and has less treble extension/openness, than the M50s. But I wouldn't call it muddy. I have had it on for over 2h now, and it is not fatiguing. While I expect that it won't compare to some the cans the enthusiasts rave about here, or to some kilo-buck open-back Beyers, it's good enough that it doesn't distract me from the music as I surf the net, walk the dog, or kill some time on a plane. It's good looking, light, practical. For 200 beans, I'm a happy boy.

(I also bought the Monster Inspiration to try and those are garbage. I might say a few words in an appropriate thread.)

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #134 of 212
I could not find any info anywhere about the driver size.
So I am assuming they are 30mm, am I correct?

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #135 of 212
Quote:

That's funny because I had two pairs as well as one had a pad that was coming apart at the seam, so I swapped them out and thought the second pair wasn't quite as good as the first.  Seems to be a bit of a variant among pairs, but then again, it could just be the burn in.

I think after burning them more over night(40+ hours so far) it has gotten to what I remember it being, I think. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back