NEW! Monster DNA headphones
Dec 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #78 of 212
Quote:
I got the DNA's on Monday and had been burning them in with white and pink noise as that what people were telling me to do. I really like it the can's as they are comfortable for the most part, and the sound is surprisingly good for something with the Monster name on it. However, there is a caveat for me. The bass is a bit on the strong side. That said would the V-Moda M-80 I have seen mentioned here, be more or less the same SQ, but with bass that is bit more tame, or is there something else I should be looking out? I also noticed the Monster Vektr are about $22 more then than the DNA. Since these Monsters were a surprise, would those work for better for me? Thanks a bunch. 

Yes, the M80 is a bit more balanced with less bass quantity.  The DNAs are on the bass heavy side, but that is their intended sound.  It's not nearly Beats level bass and muddiness, but it's still bass heavy with a lot more clarity across the other areas of the spectrum.  Think M50 and Q40 from a full sized point of view.  Still really great sounding, especially for genres like Pop, Hip Hop and Dubstep.

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #80 of 212
Quote:
Not familiar with the Q40? Would the DNA then be closer to the LP2 when it comes to bass, or is it still closer to the M80? 

Closer to the M80.  The DNAs are just a touch more bass heavy than the M80s, tho I think the M80s are a bit cleaner and punchier.  Not quite as bloated.  The M80 is definitely a more balanced headphone, so if that's what you're looking for, then it's the way to go.  I find the DNA a bit more comfy compared to the M80 tho.  It really takes a few days for the M80s to conform to your ears where the DNAs just fit right from the beginning.  The position fo the M80s seem to be more particular too where the DNAs are more forgiving.

The Q40 is M-Audio's full sized headphone.

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #81 of 212
I am not sure if I am looking for more balanced, but I do know I want a more authentic(or would it be called natural) sounding cans, you know something that produces the songs as the artists intended. Which you feel has the better build, and durability? What about sound stage, and that intimacy factor? Thanks. 

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #82 of 212
The M80s are more authentic for sure.  Bass seems to be the first thing that companies do to "change" the sound that the artist intended, just so they can appeal to more "everyday" users rather than audiophiles or guys/gals that want a more natural sound as you put it.  The DNAs slightly recessed mids and bass bump would basically eliminate them if that's the sound you're looking for.

As for your other requirements, build, sound stage and isolation...the M80s win in all but the last category.  Isolation is better on the DNAs but I also attribute that to the way they fit my head...perfectly.  So that is certainly subjective based on your head size/shape.

It really sounds like you need to just pick up a pair of M80s and give em a shot.  It appears those would tick more of your "want" boxes.

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #83 of 212
They both sound like they really could be worth $200. I have tried a the DNA briefly and I was amazed how un-Beats and crappy it was. Now I need to try the V-Moda, and then DNA again with my own music and see, really which I like. 

Do you know anything about the Monster Vektr, and if that would have a more balanced bass? 

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #87 of 212
So, far the DNA is more comfortable, and feels better on my ears vs the other two. In a quick and dirty test the DNA has more power(ie at the same volume), where everything is more pronounced(in a good way). But, at the same time the bass has a heavier kick to it, yet clearer. The Aviators sound too bright, and I feel like they could get to hot on my ears, specially in the summer. The M-80 sound less powerful, with less fidelity vs the DNA, but the bass is also more pleasing, though it is less clear. I am hoping burning in the M-80, and Aviators, more burning in of the DNA to solve some of these observations. Thanks

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #88 of 212
Quote:
So, I went to a BB and RS. Long story short I am now testing out Aviators, DNA, and M-80. Bad on my wallet temporarily, but good for my ears. 

Whoa!  That was quite a purchase there...
eek.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #89 of 212
Quote:
So, I went to a BB and RS. Long story short I am now testing out Aviators, DNA, and M-80. Bad on my wallet temporarily, but good for my ears. 

I'm ready for impressions 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back