1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New Monster Beats Tour In-Ear

First

Back
1 2
  1. tstarn06
    Oh, I was just talking about an earlier post that mentions the Monster Beats as potentially the best $150 IEM out there. I wasn't criticizing Guttenberg for not reviewing the PFEs. Not at all. I should have been clearer. It was just in a post, and I wanted to be sure the poster (and the OP) was aware of the PFEs.

2. dookiex
    Hilarious, the Beats Tour (much like the fulls sized Beats) are getting a bashing here due to it being from a consumer brand instead of a audiophile brand. Very mature, very informative, that was all sarcasm by the way. I had a good listen to the Tours, they are quite good and the price is justified. They definitely beat out armature based earphones that are at the $300 and less price points (I still prefer the smoother sound of a pair of Shure 530s BUT I prefer the Sony EX700s over the Shures). The Tours are close to if not at the same level of a pair of Atrios so if you think about the price, it's really not that bad.

3. chinesekiwi
    It was more at the time I posted my post, I didn't trust the review source more than anything else.

As with Sansa (see Clip/Fuze) and Samsung (see P2/P3) in the DAP world, Monster only really have one decent offering in the IEM world and that's the Turbines.

If I was to upgrade, It'll be the Phonak Audeo PFE's or the Monster Turbines, all based on substance (SQ). Negatives about them both = the PFE's have low bass quantity wise while the Turbines have a smaller soundstage than the PFE's.

The Beats, SQ wise, are to be honest, are the best offering in terms of noise cancelling headphones but an overpriced sub-catagory (noise canceling) + overpricing within the catagory results it in being really overpriced.

4. dookiex
    The full sized Beats are best of breed thus far in active NR headphones. They are also cheaper than the active NR Senns but nobody complains about the price of the Senns, the only complaints have been towards the Beats which boils down to the Beats being a Monster product with a hip-hop legend's name attached to them. There are better headphones out there but they really don't start outshining the Beats until you start driving them properly with a decent to good amp, this more or less creates extra bulk along with extra monetary expenses. There's a give and take here but folks disregards it and then start Monster and Dr. Dre bashing just for the heck of it.

I have still yet to try out a pair of Turbines as I am curious why the Beats Tour is on the market to give direct competition to the Turbines, especially since they both hail from Monster. Maybe the Tours are just a pair of redesigned Turbines?

5. chinesekiwi
    mmm..interestingly enough though, for the US basketball team, the Dr Dre Beats actually suits their needs quite well.

1) They fly often going from game to game, often overnight
    2) IEM's can be uncomfortable for flights
    3) Money is far from an issue for them thus can afford some overpricing.
    4) Beats = best NC headphone it's it's class SQ wise...

6. dookiex
    Any comparisons between the Tours and the Turbines though chinesekiwi? I'm very curious why these two products coexist.

7. chinesekiwi
    I haven't read a comparison on here as of yet.

8. Dobber65
    I haven't seen any comparison of the Turbines vs. the Beats IEs here on Head-fi. Lots of Turbine reviews and comments though.

I received a review pair of the Turbines, and though Monster doesn't have the best reputation and my expectations were relatively low, I was thoroughly convinced of their validity in designing these (or working with a good OEM). They easily compare with any IEM below $200, and to me even beat the SE530 and Triple.fi in a number of categories. Most of the purchase decision comes down to fit and sound signature preferences, but the Turbines deliver the goods.

I am interested (more objectively than anything else) in a comparison between the Beats IE and Turbines to find out if they share a family resemblance in sound signature.

9. PG21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    mmm..interestingly enough though, for the US basketball team, the Dr Dre Beats actually suits their needs quite well.

1) They fly often going from game to game, often overnight
    2) IEM's can be uncomfortable for flights
    3) Money is far from an issue for them thus can afford some overpricing.
    4) Beats = best NC headphone it's it's class SQ wise...

+ they don't look bad.

10. what
    I don't buy monster products because I really hate how their company treats other companies lol

11. Mochan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrus28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Anyone know how these sound? I was impressed with the full-sized headphones, but they leak sound like crazy... I guess that's that whole "speaker in your ear" sound they were going for... [​IMG]

So, anyone had a chance to test these out? Better than say... The V-Moda Vibe or Shure SE210? Comparable?

They sound a lot better than the Vmoda Vibes. The Vibes were my face IEMs once upon a time but no longer. One thing I hated about the Vibes is they just break. Not durable at all, even if you take good care of them.

The Vibes sound a little muddy but with nice, tight bass. The Monsters have much stronger bass and are less muddy all around. I wish I could take them home to really soak in the sound signature and play with it but I have no funds at the moment.
    I used to have the Shure e2c which is not quite the se210 so can't really compare that, but personally I thought the e2c's were in a totally different class from the Vibes. I also hated the e2c's, by the way.

12. kwkarth
    Quote:

Originally Posted by what /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I don't buy monster products because I really hate how their company treats other companies lol

Hopefully, that's changing/changed.

13. lasraik
    Had them for about a month now, and I'm really disappointed with them.

They don't have the big booming sound that you would expect, it's just kind of a middle of the road type of sound that doesn't impress at all. I've burned them in and used an amp but they still aren't worth the money.

They aren't durable at all. I've gone on two trips with them and had them at my desk at work listening to music and they are already falling apart. The Y cable shielding is coming out of the Monster connector and the plug is disconnecting. I haven't abused them, just usual wear and tear.

Two big thumbs down. If you're interested in big booming sounds, check out Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 EBs instead.

14. EllisDee
    Some people would like these phones due to them being fashionable for a start but also:
    You need no portable amp to get fullbodied (if over inflated in my opinion) bass.
    Remember there are millions of people who buy lossy music from iTunes (more fool them) for these people who would never consider external amps, refference IEMs would only highlight the poor choice in music they have and even poorer choice in medium of which to purchase it.
    For these kinds of people, these headphones would be ideal. These tend to be the same folks who get ripped off for EVERYTHING too [​IMG]
    They buy what celebs have and celebs are paid to wear them LOL.

versp likes this.
First

Back
1 2