New Mitsubishi Galant commercials music provided by...
Jan 22, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 25
Yup. It's a song off of Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. I was surprised too, but not by it being the Flaming Lips. They've done 2 or 3 techno songs (Dirty Vegas a while ago, Overseer in their most recent one before FLs, who else for songs?), and then suddenly a reversal with the Flaming Lips. Wow.

Jan 22, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Im more irritated by Zeppelin's 'Rock 'n Roll' during that car commercial. Were Jimmy, John & Bob short of $$$?

Been a long time since they rock and rolled
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 23, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 25
At first I was like . . . waitasectheresgottabeanexplanationforthis. Then I realized that yes, they've indeed sold out. I understand if a relatively unknown band sells their song to a company for a commercial to publicize it, but The Flaming Lips? No way! But on the other hand, car commercials worked really well for Dirty Vegas. I still associate the song with the girl doing the robot, even though the commercial was overplayed.

Jan 23, 2004 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 25
I know this is a completely different topic, but why the heck do people get surprised when a band makes a move to make some money? Artistry or not, anyone realize it keeps happening late in great bands careers? Maybe they realized "Wait a sec, this is my job. A job pays bills. I could use my job to make more money, and be set for longer." How many of you wouldn't do something small to make more money from your job?
As for the Led Zeppelin one, probably the record company.

Jan 23, 2004 at 9:34 AM Post #8 of 25
It seems Mitsubishi likes to use songs that are outside the mainstream in their commercials. I guess they are trying to show that their cars are cool to young buyers. It's been a while since I've seen their commercials (I watch TV maybe a few hours every few months) so I have no idea what is in their latest commercials, though.

Jan 23, 2004 at 9:49 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by DLP
As for the Led Zeppelin one, probably the record company.

I always thought Jimmy had iron fisted control over the music, hence the 20+ years wait for the live releases?

Jan 23, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #11 of 25
i no longer have a problem with bands trying to make some money... especially a band like the lips that's been around for 20 years.

i find it amusing that the commercial makes it sound like a happy, floaty song when it's actually somewhat fatalistic.

Jan 23, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

i find it amusing that the commercial makes it sound like a happy, floaty song when it's actually somewhat fatalistic

That's sort of like the Navy using an excerpt from a Godsmack song. Perhaps they should listen to the entire lyrics of a song. It sounds cool, but does the song theme fit the commercial?

"Been a long time since I rock and rolled", definately shows that the car is using an "over 40 demographic"theme, who will buy that car, and is sick of the family minivan.

Jan 23, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by goldenear
I just lost all respect for The Flaming Lips. Selling out so Mitsubishi can sell a cheap car is the worst thing for their image. I won't buy their cd's now.

I met a boy wearing Vans, 501s, and a
Dope Beastie t, nipple rings, and
New tattoos that claimed that he
Was OGT,
From '92,
The first EP.

And in between
Sips of Coke
He told me that
He thought
We were sellin' out,
Layin' down,
Suckin' up
To the man.

Well now I've got some
Advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point the finger
You should know that
I'm the man,
And if I'm the man,
Then you're the man, and
He's the man as well so you can
Point that f**kin' finger up your ass.

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on TV
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

from Tool's "Hooker With A Penis"

think about it.

Jan 23, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #14 of 25
and besides, the Flaming Lips have:

1) Been on a Major Label (Warner) since 1992's HIT TO DEATH IN THE FUTURE HEAD.. that's over 10 years folks.

2) Been on BEVERLY HILLS 90210 "performing" (lip-syching) their hit "She Don't Use Jelly" .. friggin' hilarious.. I remember the character Steve Sanders saying "I don't normally go for alternative.. but these guys rocked the house!" Amazing.

does a Mitzubishi car commercial really mean that much? Wayne has already appeared in an ad for Hewlett Packard.

Get over it. Enjoy the music. Thank Wayne for making great music, don't condem him for making a living at it.

-jar

Jan 23, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 25
If you have a problem with music being used in commercials, then you really shouldn't be listening to music from professional recording artists in the first place. When you bought their CDs, you were supporting a commercial company who paid the Flaming Lips for the rights to distribute their song. Not much different from the TV ads, really. You can probably find some high school garage bands who aren't in it for the money.

I suppose if you have some strong hatred of Mitsubishi cars, or if the Lips became famous by writing songs about how everyone should take the bus or ride bikes (they didn't, did they? I haven't heard their first albums), those would be good reasons to be upset about the commercial. Or if they decided that all of their future songs will be bouncy songs about driving along in a Mitsubishi, that might be a good reason to be upset too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back