New mini next week?
Feb 18, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 54
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000373032143/

they're over at engadget which is a bit more reliable than ipod rumors from ipod sites. unless they release a 5 gig with removable battery, longer battery, and radio they're still behind the eight ball

Feb 18, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 54
But they will continue to sell like hot cakes as long as they market it with black silhouette people dancing like idiots with white cords dangling them all up till it gets wrapped around their necks and they die of suffication.

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000373032143/

they're over at engadget which is a bit more reliable than ipod rumors from ipod sites.

Er...engadget.com is simply referencing the AppleInsider rumor.

Quote:

unless they release a 5 gig with removable battery, longer battery, and radio they're still behind the eight ball

Unless the competition offers better design, build quality, and better music management software, they're all behind the eight ball. There's more than one way to skin this cat.

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #5 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
Er...engadget.com is simply referencing the AppleInsider rumor.

Unless the competition offers better design, build quality, and better music management software, they're all behind the eight ball. There's more than one way to skin this cat.

but engadget usually will only post rumors that are substantiated and/or come from reliable sources. ipod sites will post anything and everything rumor related.

the mini is still going to be a loser IMO, the SQ on the H10, carbon, and micro are still better. The design of the micro and H10 are pretty darn good and you just cant copy the circle ipod navi, the carbon could use some work though. As for music management i like the interface on WMP 10 and lots of people use it anyways. Itunes is better no doubt but not so good to justify less features and worse sound quality. but its not like it matters what i think, people are still going to buy these things cause they gots to have the cool ipod image.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 54
Quote:

but engadget usually will only post rumors that are substantiated and/or come from reliable sources. ipod sites will post anything and everything rumor related.

the mini is still going to be a loser IMO, the SQ on the H10, carbon, and micro are still better. The design of the micro and H10 are pretty darn good and you just cant copy the circle ipod navi, the carbon could use some work though. As for music management i like the interface on WMP 10 and lots of people use it anyways. Itunes is better no doubt but not so good to justify less features and worse sound quality. but its not like it matters what i think, people are still going to buy these things cause they gots to have the cool ipod image.
rolleyes.gif

engadget is merely conveying the AppleInsider rumors without offering any further corraboration. So engadget must consider AppleInsider a reliable source, eh?

As for the iPod's coolness; I'd argue that coolness was earned. It's a well-designed product inside and out, and after the purchase it engages the user and generates an incredible amount of positive word of mouth. So many other products seem like they're a bunch of features slapped together and rushed to market (consider the recent reviews of the m:robe).

Think about it this way. The absolute HARDEST thing to design and implement is usability. If Apple thought it would matter, they could easily slap an FM tuner and a voice recorder onto an iPod, but it's going to take a lot more effort for Apple's competitors to match Apple's UI and software. And the few who are trying are simply copy-catting while Apple continues to innovate in this area.

Feb 18, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 54
Quote:

unless they release a 5 gig with removable battery, longer battery, and radio they're still behind the eight ball

No. They won't.

Feb 18, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #8 of 54
Quote:

the mini is still going to be a loser...

Uh-huh. Which microdrive player is selling better?
icon10.gif
Apple's market share doesn't seem to equal "loser" to me.

Now if only people would use the stock buds for what they're actually good for... like testing DIY amps. =P

Feb 18, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

have you even listened to the H10? the eq distorts in the lower frequencies once you move it 2-3 notches above the default level. at default sound no eq, I would say it sounds different than the iPod, not exactly better. it does have a more "street friendly" sound in that it has more bass response by default. the iPod seems to have a more open soundstage however at the expense of bass response.

I just returned my H10 today, I have already posted how much a pain it was to use on the software side.

Feb 18, 2005 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 54
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i dunno how credible Apple is with the design of the scroll wheel. in fact, i'm beginning to seriously question it. Synaptics creates all TouchPad technology for everything... they designed Apples scroll wheel and the credit goes to them... i'd almost say that Apple kinda got lucky scoring that design.

www.synaptics.com

go there and look around... you'll see what i mean.

Feb 18, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 54
oh please please let this thread turn into another 'ipod sucks - NO IT DOESNT - YES IT DOES' thread

we don't have enough of those

Feb 18, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
oh please please let this thread turn into another 'ipod sucks - NO IT DOESNT - YES IT DOES' thread

we don't have enough of those

yeah well i think THEY ALL SUCK and that anyone buying any electronics with the last 20 years is a total idiot.....

I am going back to my Panasonic "DynoMite" * 8Track player with radio. Available in Black Red and Silver

and oh yeah computers suck too so i'm sticking with my smith corona portable typewiter......

and you know air bags, power windows, and cruise control suck too so I'm sticking with my 77 Plymouth Duster cause it's got a Hemi
k1000smile.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Uh-huh. Which microdrive player is selling better?
icon10.gif
Apple's market share doesn't seem to equal "loser" to me.

Now if only people would use the stock buds for what they're actually good for... like testing DIY amps. =P

i totally gave my girlfriend those street style sennheiser's i got for my birthday in exchange for her ipod earbuds so i would have something to test with that i REALLY dont care about.

Feb 18, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #15 of 54
The credit goes to Synaptics. Apple did nothing beyond hire them. There's an article about it somewhere but long story short...

Apple hired Synaptics to look at a target market and find out what they wanted. Synaptics assigned a team who went to college campuses etc and found that a flat wheel design would be awesome. They made the product and sold it to Apple. I did a quick patent search and I couldn't find anything relating to the actual design of the wheel, only tagentialy technologies like power management and interpreting the received data.

Like I've said before, the iPod is not a technological marvel. Apple designed the UI, and marketed it. That's pretty much it.

And of course, as we all know, things that are better technologically always sell better. /sarcasm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back