New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Sep 1, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #5,791 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BMF is absolutely correct. However, I'll add a little more specific to the argument. The MOSFET-MAX is an absolute GRADO-MONSTER. That may apply to other low-impedance phones as well, but since Grado's are probably the best in that mix, I'll leave it at that. The speed, detail, and bass that's literally pumped through Grados with a MOSFET-MAX is simply amazing. I can't imagine a better amp for them, IMHO - of course.

All that said, at higher impedances these differences begin to become moot. Does a BJT MiniMAX supply a high-impedance Sennheiser just as well as a MOSFET-MAX? Yes - maybe a bit better, more musical, IOW. Does the MiniMAX do a great job with Grados - especially compared to other amps in the same class? Absolutely.

It's just that in direct comparison with Grados, the MOSFET-MAX is hands-down superior.

Great to hear TomB. I love the miniMax with the HD650's. I REALLY want a full-time millett for the Grados. This should fit the bill nicely.

Any time frame estimates on the release of the new boards?

Thanks

jk

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #5,792 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkJake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TomB,

Realizing there are some fairly major part changes, are you going to be releasing an updated BOM for the entire project or just the delta changes to the existing BOM?

Thanks!

jk

There will be a revised BOM. Tom sent it to me so I could order the parts I needed. I sent Tom one minor suggested change this evening. Not really a change to the BOM, just clarification.

Quote:

Great to hear TomB. I love the miniMax with the HD650's. I REALLY want a full-time millett for the Grados. This should fit the bill nicely.

Any time frame estimates on the release of the new boards?

Thanks

jk

Tom has his prototype board and mine arrived from Tom today. My new parts from Mouser arrived today too, but of course I have to head out of town until Thursday for a job interview. Oh well. Will build this weekend and wire in two sources to test the input switching since I do not have a BantamDAC yet. I might be able to fit a phono stage in the same area, though it will be tight as the normal stage takes up roughly 2-1/2" square.

Sep 1, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #5,793 of 6,727
Quote:

TomB,

Realizing there are some fairly major part changes, are you going to be releasing an updated BOM for the entire project or just the delta changes to the existing BOM?

Thanks!

jk

As BMF said, I've revised a BOM for him so that he could order parts. However, your question makes me think that perhaps I should just make a BOM that highlights the changes. That way, both the existing MAX/MiniMAX and MOSFET-MAX BOM's would still apply.

Essentially, there are three major changes that distinguish the MAX V1.2a board from old:

1. Power Supply - exactly the same as the MiniMAX. Although, you have the option to use 1-1/2" sinks, which means you can use two 2000uf 50V electrolytics.
2. Headphone Relay - cetoole has gone to 24VDC relays throughout. This is combined with a 78L24 voltage regulator that replaces the resistor/zener diode combination used in competing relay circuits. The result is that parts count is reduced and interestingly - relay transients at the headphone jack are reduced to being immeasureable. Many relay-delay circuits have a few full volts of transient at the point of shutoff, depending on the headphone load. This transient is not enough to cause any harm, but still - it can be measured even with a $9.99 DMM. The 24V relay snaps so fast that I can't measure anything. I've used this arrangement on a modified MiniMAX for the past year and can attest to its reliability.
3. Signal Input Section - Lastly, this is the most significant change with the MAX V1.2a board. As many of you have seen before, the PCB allows for a BantamDAC to be mounted directly to the board, with relay switching between the Bantam as a source or normal RCA input jacks.

The previous prototype I built performed flawlessly with this switching arrangement. However, it used only one relay and so depended on the dB quieting that existed between the contacts in the relay itself to control cross-talk between the two competing sources. Unfortunately, if both sources were "live", there was audible bleed-through of the signal. (Absolutely nothing was wrong with it if the other source was switched off, however.)

For this proto, cetoole has designed a couple of mini-relays that will independently switch the two sources. Further, he has designed in some resistors that will "short" the un-used signal source when not in use, to further remove any possibility of crosstalk above the SN ratio of the amp itself.

One last thing - we've been playing around with the idea of using the IRF510 (used on the Starving Student) and its complement, the IRF9510, as the MOSFETs to make up the MOSFET diamond buffer. Further, cetoole has identified some Xetex FETs that will replace the SK-type Toshibas that were always in short supply. Both the MOSFETs and input FETs have lower gate capacitances than have been previously used, which should allow better performance at lower Class A biases. I have been running the prototype almost every day for the last several months at 125ma bias - even had it up to 150ma bias for short periods, with no ill effects. However, lower biases noticeably affected the sound quality, IMHO. Still, I haven't cased it up yet, so who knows if that bias can be maintained? The new MOSFETs and FETs should alleviate some of this and again - looking forward to trying the combination out.

Sep 1, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #5,794 of 6,727
Quote:

<snip>
2. Headphone Relay - cetoole has gone to 24VDC relays throughout. This is combined with a 78L24 voltage regulator that replaces the resistor/zener diode combination used in competing relay circuits. <snip>

Ah dammit, I missed that change on the BOM... Crap. I also realized I ordered IRF510sPBF instead of the IRF510PBFs so I have 2 surface mount 510s instead of TO-220s.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

EDIT: Third Mouser order in five will be placed today...

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #5,795 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah dammit, I missed that change on the BOM... Crap. I also realized I ordered IRF510sPBF instead of the IRF510PBFs so I have 2 surface mount 510s instead of TO-220s.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

EDIT: Third Mouser order in five will be placed today...

Be sure you catch the fact that the electrolytics in the relay-delay circuit are now rated for 35V, too.
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #5,797 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd nearly convinced myself that I was finished with the MilletMAX, wasn't interested in V1.2 and that it was time to move onto an M3 or some other amp...

Tom, you suck.

biggrin.gif

I was thinking along those exact same lines for a while, but have decided to go on a slightly different tangent. It seems I will probably end up building two M3's before you have built your first......
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #5,798 of 6,727
Quote:

I'd nearly convinced myself that I was finished with the MilletMAX, wasn't interested in V1.2 and that it was time to move onto an M3 or some other amp...

Tom, you suck.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #5,799 of 6,727
Quote:

Be sure you catch the fact that the electrolytics in the relay-delay circuit are now rated for 35V, too.
wink.gif

Thanks Tom. I think I have 35V caps already, but CYA so I'l order new ones to be sure. Just miffed that I missed it. Managed to order fricken (9) PF1s of different values as I had a saved project and ordered it too. Missed the fact that it had .90A up to 1.5A values of the poly fuses on it since I'm modding my old V1.0 board and not really sure what value PF I'll need for my LM338 and much higher bias currents.

Have the part numbers for the Xetex FETs from Mouser too? Might as well add those. :wink:

You know I'm a huge proponent of the IRF510/9510s and had planned to use those even before the SS was out... Definitely recommend them or the IRF610/9610 for guys that want a little brighter treble.

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #5,800 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

I was thinking along those exact same lines for a while, but have decided to go on a slightly different tangent. It seems I will probably end up building two M3's before you have built your first......
evil_smiley.gif

Another one? That's just being greedy.

What's the reason I should use to convince myself to build one?

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #5,801 of 6,727
Quote:

A MOSFET-MAX? New ground plane for lower noise, new input switching, and new 510/9510 DB for a faster amp with awesome SQ. Add an OptiVol and take the potentiometer out of the signal path too.

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #5,803 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Tom. I think I have 35V caps already, but CYA so I'l order new ones to be sure. Just miffed that I missed it. Managed to order fricken (9) PF1s of different values as I had a saved project and ordered it too. Missed the fact that it had .90A up to 1.5A values of the poly fuses on it since I'm modding my old V1.0 board and not really sure what value PF I'll need for my LM338 and much higher bias currents.

I went with 0.75A and it's worked fine for up to 150ma bias - would probably go higher, too.

Quote:

Have the part numbers for the Xetex FETs from Mouser too? Might as well add those. :wink:

QB2L/R - ZVP3306A (P-channel MOSFET)
QB3L/R - ZVN3306A (N-channel MOSFET)

I bought ten each - remember that they must be matched according to current.
EDIT: Also remember that they are reversed compared to the silkscreen on the PCB - the silkscreen still follows the BJT version for QB2 and QB3.

Quote:

You know I'm a huge proponent of the IRF510/9510s and had planned to use those even before the SS was out... Definitely recommend them or the IRF610/9610 for guys that want a little brighter treble.

Yes - it was your idea first to start looking at those. I hope those and the Zetex's (misspelled it earlier) work out.

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #5,804 of 6,727
Quote:

In all fairness, they will be in just a single case......
wink.gif

Quote:

Variety is the spice of life!

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #5,805 of 6,727
Quote:

I went with 0.75A and it's worked fine for up to 150ma bias - would probably go higher, too.

QB2L/R - ZVP3306A (P-channel MOSFET)
QB3L/R - ZVN3306A (N-channel MOSFET)

I bought ten each - remember that they must be matched according to current.

Yes - it was your idea first to start looking at those. I hope those and the Zetex's (misspelled it earlier) work out.

I'll start with a PF1 of 1.1A on the MOSFET and .90A on the BJTs, but I have up to 1.5A which will trip at 5A so the LM338 gets protected too.

How well have the Zetexes matched up? I may order 20 or 30 of each... We'll see how much I have to pad my order to avoid the fees. I need knobs for the console refurb, so those are about $15 total that I'll just order now to get it out of the way too.

Well, you know the Toshibas and the IRF510s play nice. If the Zetexes darken the sound, then it can be recouped with IRF610s... My plan was to pair the 510s with FM12 tubes and the 610s with the AE6 tubes for initial listening. For guys that like crazy bright sound, FK6 tubes and 610s should pretty well fit the bill.
tongue.gif
And believe it or not, I know a member who would really enjoy that sound with BG caps.

EDIT: Missed parts and Zetex ordered. Only went with 10 each too as they are a little pricey. I'd recommend others just wait and ordered matched sets from Tom if they prove out to be worthy of replacing the Toshibas. $12 for 10 pieces of each to narrow down to 2 pairs of matched FETS is a little steep. That said, if they do match well and I can get another set or two out of mine, then I might sell them off to recoup the money if I don't use them on another build like a portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back