New Member of the HD600 Club
Apr 20, 2002 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Magic77

500+ Head-Fier
WOW!! That's all I can say about my new HD600's that arrived yesterday. Finally, a pair of headphones that sound great with everything! You definitely do not "return" these headphones unless they are defective.

They sound great through both of my amps; Creek OBH-11SE and HeadRoom Little. Either amp has no problem driving them. I listened to the HD600's for about 5 hours last night, and I really enjoyed my music!

What amazed me the most about the HD600's was the Bass response. In fact, the Bass sounded somewhat deeper through the Little. I guess none of my previously purchased headphones sounded this great.

I can't wait to start listening again!!

Apr 20, 2002 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 21
magic: if you do a comparison, you will be my hero.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was thinking of a little or creek. Gah, wait, theres nick! Or the MG head/morgan jones diy. HELP!

Apr 20, 2002 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 21
Well, I guess I have to listen some more to make any real comparisons. But the HD600's definitley sound great through both amps. I did think they sounded Bassier through the Little and Brighter through the Creek, but I guess it also depends on the recording that is listened to.

The "detail" was definitely clear and precise with both amps. The HeadRoom Little still continues to impress me, which is the latest version with the regulated wall wart power supply.

Apr 22, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 21
Yes, I have totally lost it........but I'm happy. I've been so impressed with my new HD600's, so I went out and bought a Sony SACD/DVD player, DVP-NS500V. What I like most about this player is that it has 2 separate analog audio outputs. So, I can hook up 2 amps without connecting and disconnecting all the time. As far as the video, I don't watch many movies, but if I want to I now have the capability.

I have to say that the sound quality through this player is excellent; better than my Technics CD player.

So, I'll be able to come up with some better comparisons with the HD600's using the Creek OBH-11SE and HeadRoom Little.

Apr 22, 2002 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 21
Magic77
Good luck with your new cans.I have the 580s and they are the best that I have ever heard. And your 600 are even better so now I whont be alone on my cosmic trip, But I think that you might be a little further out there. Heres to great sound.

Apr 23, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 21
I got my HD600 2 weeks agoand they sound pretty good but I dont have an amp yet. In terms of volume level everything I use them with is fine, I am hoping when my cmoy comes from JMT they will sound much better, but im not convinced they will sound any different, other than being able to go louder.

I just dont see how an amp is going to make them sound better when all it does is take the source and make it louder, unless I am missing something here.

I guess I will see when it arrives.

Apr 23, 2002 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 21
tell us about it when it gets to you!

I too just got my HD-600's from Jan, on sat. and i'm loving it. still breaking it in naturally(just listening to it normally until it hits me that the sound has grown up)
biggrin.gif
< my favorite part of owning stuff like that is breaking it in. its like i'm the father watching my headphones grow a into a mature headphone.

Bah my insane ramblings again!
confused.gif

Apr 23, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&amp;Me
Next step: Antique Sound Lab MG Head OTL
wink.gif

Don't encourage him, he likes the sound!!!

Anyways....glad you like your HD600...welcome to team Sennheiser...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 23, 2002 at 8:17 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

I just dont see how an amp is going to make them sound better when all it does is take the source and make it louder, unless I am missing something here

in theory that's what it should do. an amp should just be 'a straight wire with gain', but in reality there's all sorts of crap that alters the signal.

Apr 23, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 21
so basically if its loud enuff then you dont need an amp, if its not then buying a cheap amp will make it louder but lower the quality of the sound because of the cheap components which is why people think the expensive amps sound better.

Of course thats ignoring the crossfeed that some amps have which will obviously alter the sound and may or may not sound better to some people.

So basically theres a huge amount of bad advice going around that people "need" a headphone amp to get the best sound when infact if its loud enough to start off with, all they are likely to do is lower the sound quality unless they spend a huge amount of money, and then the sound quality wont be better, just louder??

Apr 23, 2002 at 5:11 PM Post #15 of 21
Ewok
A amp just doesn't make a can sound louder. At the same volume a amp makes a can sound fuller, richer, better detail, better bass, and better overall performance. I put it this way, an amp is magic to the total sound of most cans at the same volume level. So if you would like to have some magic in your sound get a amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back