New Member - Need help with E09K/E17 combo Can't find the answer
Feb 28, 2014 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

LeroyJones

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm new. I've actually read tons on this forum before joining today; probably a good 18 months of resourcing these forums. I can't find any clear answers to my dilemma in the forum search or on the web.

Well this year I've finally attempted to dip my toes into the Audiophile waters, thanks to this community. 
I had previously acquired a nifty E17 for $80. This week I just got the E09K. The sound is fabulous. I just used my son's cans with them and never tired while I studied for 4 hours.

Anyway, the issue at hand: I would like to use my new combo, especially the E09Ks capabilities with some speakers. The speakers I have are powered so I don't know if they can be used with the amp. 
I would like to get a set of passives like the AudioEngine P4s, but with only one set of av ports in the back how can they power two speakers?

My speakers are the M-Audio Studiophile AV40 (newer version-I loved my old version but they burned out like they have for so many so M-Audio sent me the new kind).

Thanks in advance.

Leroy "Knee Punch" Jones

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 12
Monoprice 5" (self-powered) Studio monitors, $170.
They appear to be re-badged M-Audio BX5s.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 12
Interesting. I am checking those out.

My main concern is, can I run my AV-40s wiith my Fiio E09K? I mean will they be damaged.

And secondly, can I run a pair of passive speakers with my E09k?

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 12
  Interesting. I am checking those out.
My main concern is, can I run my AV-40s with my FiiO E09K? I mean will they be damaged.
And secondly, can I run a pair of passive speakers with my E09k?

I bought the Monoprice 5" studio monitors, so far no regrets.

You can connect the E09K's RCA output to the RCA input on the AV40.
You need to have a speaker amplifier between the E09K and passive (unpowered) speakers.

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 12
  Great. Thanks.

Question: Why is a speaker amp necessary? Isn't the E09K enough of an amp, or not?

Or is it that the E09K only has enough outputs for one speaker?

The E09K is a headphone amplifier, not a speaker amplifier.

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 12
  The E09K is a headphone amplifier, not a speaker amplifier.

I get that it is considered so but I think that it has enough power to drive passive speakers.

What about this? Since there is one Right audio output and only one Left RCA ouput, what about buying a male to 2 male split cable for each?

Would that work?

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 12
  I get that it is considered so but I think that it has enough power to drive passive speakers.

What about this? Since there is one Right audio output and only one Left RCA output, what about buying a male to 2 male split cable for each?

Would that work?

The line-outputs (RCAs) on the back of the E09k lack the power to drive passive (unpowered) speakers

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 12
  The line-outputs (RCAs) on the back of the E09k lack the power to drive passive (unpowered) speakers

Thanks!

So if the speakers rock speaker wire outs then they can deliver enough power for passive speakers, but if they rock RCA outs that is low signal non-amplified.

PurpleAngel you are your namesake, indeed.

You clarified tons. 

Thanks, again.

Last question. So what is the concern some have with running a connection from the E09K's Pre outs to powered speakers? They suggest running it out of the Line out where the atenuator does not change volume for the setup.

They made it sound like it would be too much power going into already self-powered speakers.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #11 of 12
I connected my E09k to my AV40s via Line outs and the sound is terribly low. I have to crank the speaker volume all the way up and set gain to +12 on the E17 to get good volume.

Sent from my HAM radio up in low orbit.

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #12 of 12
I connected my E09k to my AV40s via Line outs and the sound is terribly low. I have to crank the speaker volume all the way up and set gain to +12 on the E17 to get good volume.

Sent from my HAM radio up in low orbit.

Have you tried upping the volume on the computer itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back