New Member Introductions thread
Sep 9, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #11,806 of 15,451
Hey there, Dorm here.
Joined this forum because I'm currently looking for a replacement for my HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Audeze Mobius, which I had to return because the plastic was just to brittle on two replacements, they both developed cracks in the small part that holds the earcups which isn't even a cm thick. Anyways, I still loved the sound on those headphones and so I am now on the search for a good upgrade, to hopefully turn a disappointing end for one pair of headphones into a glorious new beginning for another when I get some new ones and a proper amp and dac.

Currently looking at the immensly helpful "Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution" thread, as that is my most listened to genre of music, especially power metal. That thread actually convinced me to sign up, as I have some questions, especially about the Kennerton brand of wooden headphones. Wood always looks so lovely on everything.

Hope everyone is staying safe in these troubling times and listening to lots of music on some good equipment (unlike me right now, without the Cloud Orbits I'm stuck listening to bad in ears, but I'm too cautious for rushing into buying a replacement).

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #11,807 of 15,451
Hello, usually go by Satrie.
I've been visiting this site as a non-member for about 4 years until now. A lot of the threads and reviews I find really helpful as I like to research more on what I would like to get before finally settling on a purchase I hope to be happy with for a good while. As a result, I've gotten IEMs like Puro IEM500 and Periodic Audio Be, and an iBasso DX160 DAP.

The main reason on finally deciding on registering as a member is so that I could ask a few questions to help further decide on what would be best for me to go with for any future headgear. I would prefer to keep the collection of audio gear minimal and portable that doesn't cost too much. I am currently having my eyes on the FiiO FH7 and still deciding on what cables to pair them up with.

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #11,809 of 15,451
Hello,

I've been into headphones for quite a while now but never really got into Head-Fi. Excited to be part of discussions around the best this headphone world has to offer!

Current setup: Hifiman Arya, Focal Elex + Schiit Magnius and Modius
IEMs: Audeze iSINE 20

I also got a little room speaker set up with ELAC UB5's and a BIC America F12 Subwoofer.

I'm into watches and record collecting as well :)

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #11,811 of 15,451
Aloha everyone,

My name is Jim and I am from Hawaii. I just recently got back into HiFi because of Spotify. When I moved to Hawaii, I got rid of my entire LP and CD collection. So, I had no desire to rebuild that collection. Then, I discovered Spotify and love the ability to discover new music with that service. The first thing I did was bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 650 headphones and a Dragon Fly Red DAC and then I became addicted. I have been watching videos, reading reviews and listening to many different headphones and amps since.

In that short 3 months, I've purchase a Chord Mojo as an upgrade to my Dragon Fly Red. Then, I wanted more portable music, so I bought some Shure SE846 IEMs. I love the warm sound of the Sennheisers, but I fell in love with the much richer and more detailed highs of the SE846s. I picked up a Fiio BRT5 to go along with my IEMs. To continue with this newly found addiction, I bought a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball unit and upgraded caps from James at Cshop87. He just finished it and it should be arriving any day now.

My favorite sound signature is the Chord Mojo with the Shure se846s using the blue filters. It has the perfect balance of sound for me at this time. When walking, I need to use the black filters since the Fiio BTR5 is rather neutral sounding and lacks the warmth of the Chord Mojo that I love.

Anyway, I am sure people here are as crazy about music and technology as I am. Just today, Spotify sent me a survey about a new HiRes Lossless service. It would be $5/month more than Spotify Premium and would be 16bit, 44khz FLAC. They would partner with a hardware manufacturer to speakers (meh) and they would offer equalization (meh) and recommendations on hi res music (meh). All they need to do is add lossless hires music and I'm there. Then, I won't have to sign up for Tidal.

Look forward to talking to everyone.

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #11,812 of 15,451
Hi guys, my name is Sylvain and I'm new here. I was an audiophile for some 40 years. I have now recovered from that debilitating disease and settled on a "good enough" Schitt Magni 3+ stack with some Sennheiser 58X, hooked up to my computer, where I spend most of the day working and actually enjoying the music rather than listening to the gear.

I also use the Magni to drive a 20-year-old Meridian 500 amp and some Dynaudio bookshelf speakers, but I mostly use the headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #11,813 of 15,451
Hello everyone!

I've been familiar with Head-Fi as a resource for a while and have benefitted from the odd review in the past. I must say that the forum seems like an amazing source of information, and I'm excited to dig through it.

I vividly remember buying my first pair of "proper" headphones back in 2004, which was a pair of Sennheiser HD 212 Pro. I was completely blown away by how large of a difference even a moderate investment could make over the absolute garbage bin offerings. I liked those Senns so much that they became my staple daily driver, later to be replaced by a pair of HD 202, which I've found to be a bit more sturdy (less foam degradation and cable issues).

I've had a few detours along the way, for instance to a pair of JVC HA-RX700 but physically they were a poor fit for me.

Having worked in noisy office spaces over the past few years is what has made me interested in headphones once again. I currently sport a pair of Bose QC 25 for work, but I'm looking into alternatives. Hoping to discover the magic bullet with the help of this excellent forum!

Sep 13, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #11,815 of 15,451
Hey everyone!

Long time lurker, but first time poster. Hoping to learn more here and contribute where I can!

My current go-to setup: Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 & Astell & Kern SR25.

Cheers!

Sep 14, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #11,816 of 15,451
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I'm a musician and I enjoy listening to music more than almost anything else (watching and listening to birds is high on my list too). I am still using my 20-year old Sennheiser HD490, which is getting to the point where I want to upgrade to something else.

I recently bought a B&O Beoplay H6, but decided it wasn't for me.

Anyway, just saying hi and maybe we'll speak to each other somewhere on these forums soon!

Stan

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #11,819 of 15,451
Hy,
I'm a long time reader since many years. As I'M getting into the hobby again lately, i thought its time to join some discussions.
I started many years ago with a Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro + Little Dot MKII and Super.Fi 3 Studio on the go.
Currently I'm using a AKG K702 with Objecive2 + Odac and TRI I3 + Fiio BTR5 or K3.

Sep 15, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #11,820 of 15,451
What's up all. Now that I finally have kids and I can't listen to my incredible Elsinores speakers that I built from a DIY kit from diyaudio, I'm finally going to give the hi-end headphone audiophile a try. I have a good friend that has something crazy, I forget what he's got now, but I'll be talking to him about, problem is we only end up getting to talk every 6 months or so because of distance and us both just being super busy.

I just bought the Sennheiser HD650's and the Liquid Spark amp, haven't even been delivered yet, but I'm excited. I almost bought the Liquid Platinum, and I probably will, but reading the manual I'm not sure how I'd get the best out of the balanced connections. So I'm holding off till I learn more.

Glad I found this forum. How did we ever get by without the internet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back