New Member Introductions thread
Feb 17, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #9,496 of 15,519
Hi everyone,

I greet here in Arizona. After I owned M50x and HD 598SE, my desire to listen better sounded headphones have grown up. So now I hope I can afford a HD 800 someday.
Thank you let me join this great community!
Welcome, and there are many wonderful headphones along the way. You may want to explore the world of Planar headphones seeing as how you have been using dynamics.

Feb 17, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #9,497 of 15,519
Welcome mate,
I have the WH1000XM3 as well and with a bass cut I really enjoy the Sony. I think it is one of the most engaging portables I have ever had. I am a mid-level bass head (still insist on some quality and speed, least amount of bleeding possible).

Hey -- thanks for the welcome and sharing your thoughts on the Sony's. It was actually that pair of headphones that got me on this search in the first place. I'd been using my ATH-AD700s for *years* and when it became necessary for me to get noise cancelling headphones at work to block out the sounds of an open plan office, I often found myself thinking "oh man, there's a lot more bass in this track than I thought". I'm not sure if I am a bass head yet, but there's definitely a thirst for it!! I figure if it's not for me, then I can always sell up. This is the pair I bought: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e340115616

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #9,499 of 15,519
Hi,

I’m new here... and just starting out in my (potentially very expensive) hobby.

Looking forward to being a part of Head-Fi

Rob
It doesn't have to be that expensive, and welcome mate. I had the NAD M51, Chord Mojo and the iFi iOne all at the same time. When really listening hard to all three I actually found that the iOne at under $300 was really a wonderful sounding DAC and I sold the other two. Same goes for headphones, often the sweet spot is in mid-tier stuff. Yes the very expensive gear is wonderful, but the point of diminishing returns in terms of price to performance really drops as the cost rises. There is some seriously good sound quality available without breaking the bank. The FiiO Q5 is just one such example and there are many more.

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #9,500 of 15,519
Hey -- thanks for the welcome and sharing your thoughts on the Sony's. It was actually that pair of headphones that got me on this search in the first place. I'd been using my ATH-AD700s for *years* and when it became necessary for me to get noise cancelling headphones at work to block out the sounds of an open plan office, I often found myself thinking "oh man, there's a lot more bass in this track than I thought". I'm not sure if I am a bass head yet, but there's definitely a thirst for it!! I figure if it's not for me, then I can always sell up. This is the pair I bought: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e340115616
Truthfully the bass on the XM3 is overcooked and before I cut some bass out via equalization I was considering returning them and I like Sony. I have owned the Z7, Z1R MDR 1A, WH1000XM2, PHA3 and a few others along the way. Once I trimmed the bass back I found that the XM3 was one of the most enjoyable portable signatures I have ever owned and I use portable headphones quite a bit. So enjoy the XM3, but consider cleaning up the bass bloom to see how truly good they can sound. I use the built in equalizer within ONKYO HF Player through my phone. Love HF Player, it has been so good that I stopped using Neutron altogether.

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #9,507 of 15,519
Hi everyHeadFi,

I’m yenrios from France, and I’m an audioolic.:ksc75smile:

I live with, for and do everything with music.

My current listening setup is by headphone (mobile or sedentary).

I’don’t have a speaker HiFi setup only a HC one, and nothing really noticeable.

I’m pleased to join the community

Musicjoy for all :L3000:

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #9,508 of 15,519
Hi all,

Finally decided to set up an account. I'm going to characterize myself as a semi-audiophile... Right now, I use the Sony XB950BT for the office, and at home use some Nuraphones or JVC SZ-2000's. Probably obvious that I am indifferent to perfect sound reproduction; I like that bass!

I think my next purchase well be the Fostex TH-X00. Originally was tempted by the TH-900, but it doesn't seem so much better to justify the price difference. Also, I love the mahogany shells...

IEMs getting occasional use include the Sony MDR-XB90EX and Shure SE535s.

Amp / DAC options... I have a Tota Bithead that I consider fully deprecated - sits on the shelf until I figure out what to do with it. My go to is a FiiO E17K Alpen 2.

Lately, I've been considering a desktop DAC / amp setup... Been staring at the Schiit website trying to figure out what is enough for me vs over-kill... For example, multi-bit is tempting, but probably not perceptibly different to my unsophisticated rate. Also, not sure if I would be able to appreciate the class A solid state amp, but tempted none the less...

Cheers,
Alex

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #9,509 of 15,519
Hello everyone I’m new to this whole experience and I can’t Believe it has taken me such a long time to discover such greatness ! I’m a musician and will most likely follow up to some gear here because this is some amazing stuff!

So Far I have acquired a pioneer xdp 100r and I just bought an xpa 700 amp companion ! And looking at some pelican travel cases as I plan on doing some beach time soul searching with music and portable setup!

Next I’m looking at a pair of Sony MDR z7 because I will probably shoot myself in the leg if I go crazy on a pair of Z1R

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #9,510 of 15,519
Hi all,

Finally decided to set up an account. I'm going to characterize myself as a semi-audiophile... Right now, I use the Sony XB950BT for the office, and at home use some Nuraphones or JVC SZ-2000's. Probably obvious that I am indifferent to perfect sound reproduction; I like that bass!

I think my next purchase well be the Fostex TH-X00. Originally was tempted by the TH-900, but it doesn't seem so much better to justify the price difference. Also, I love the mahogany shells...

IEMs getting occasional use include the Sony MDR-XB90EX and Shure SE535s.

Amp / DAC options... I have a Tota Bithead that I consider fully deprecated - sits on the shelf until I figure out what to do with it. My go to is a FiiO E17K Alpen 2.

Lately, I've been considering a desktop DAC / amp setup... Been staring at the Schiit website trying to figure out what is enough for me vs over-kill... For example, multi-bit is tempting, but probably not perceptibly different to my unsophisticated rate. Also, not sure if I would be able to appreciate the class A solid state amp, but tempted none the less...

Cheers,
Alex
FiiO Q5 is a fantastic device for your needs. To give it some perspective. I have a NAD M3 180 watt, dual mono, stable to 4ohm integrated amp that I had custom Norne Audio speaker tap cables made for. This means that I drive my headphones right from the speaker terminals of the M3 and it is a well regarded piece of kit. Even so, when I use my Q5 I do not notice any drop in performance, if there is one, it is essentially below the level of perceptibility. I have owned Schiit gear and really enjoy it, but I highly recommend you try the Q5. It is a very well done piece of gear and I simply love the Bluetooth implementation. I hear no difference when I stream to the Q5 from my phone versus using USB into the Q5 so you gain the flexibility of a wireless source being part of your rig. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back