New Member Introductions thread
Oct 15, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #4,381 of 15,482
Great intro, @ibbanez, and welcome to Head-Fi! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #4,382 of 15,482
I've always lurked this website to get advice / look at reviews of various headphones and iem products. Made my first high quality headphone purchase it was a Sennheiser HD280 Pro but overtime the cord started to break like short out. Didn't realize it at the time that the cord was replaceable and I ended up throwing the headphones away when the cord finally died out.
I've recently demo'd the ATH-M40X headphones and enjoyed them but wanted to check out the M50X's and the CAL2 headphones. Currently discovered some decent IEMs that have a nice wide soundstage and great seperation of instruments and good lows and overall sound.

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #4,384 of 15,482

Thanks for the warm greet.  I hope to make my around and just continue to learn and enjoy music and more importantly, just the overall sound.  I can already see that this can be a very expensive hobby ;p  Much like photography or working on Cars... ehh, ohh well, its all in the name of sound :)

No worries. Enjoy your time here, and enjoy the music! 

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #4,385 of 15,482
Hi everyone!
I'm new here too, my name is Florian and I live in the French part of Switzerland.
When I was young (well, I mean younger), my father always listened to his music with his tube amp and Altec model 19 speakers, that had always impressed me and I think he gave me the virus.
As I don't have too much space in my flat (and to keep my neighbours happy), I chose to have only good headphones and bought some HD650 with LD DAC and amp few years ago.
Now I'd like something else and that's why I'm here, this forum has so much information and advices. I read a lot here to know which amp to choose but we have always questions, don't we? That's why I created an account.
No doubt I'll find everything I need here :)

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #4,387 of 15,482
Modding Audigy 2ZS

Excellent modding results I got :
first put a 270 yF 16 V mainboard oscon  cap at the output Pins of the thick voltage Regulator of the analog section which is here a 3 Pin 78M05 positive Voltage regulator , midle pin is negative and Common,  right pin is positive, and on the input  the left one is positive the negative is middle one too. input add a 330yf panasonic FM.,
Then you got an overwhelming bass.
Good Opamps here are AD826,AD8066 and AD8260 which all do not oscillate. Great sound.
Important is a low soldering temperature , no soldering grease during soldering and unload electrostatic discharge from time to time by touching heating.
Important too is do not solder the caps on an other location otherwiese the card will not start (revesible).
Audigy SE mod is similar.
Front Opamp is the bigger one 4556 not he 4558  these ones are smaller.I will post some pics when i am accepted.

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #4,388 of 15,482
  Hello everyone, my name is Jerome.  I'm 35 and I have just awoken to the world of audiophile :)  I just ordered the AKG k7xx as my 1st real headphones, and I'm about to pull the trigger on a DAC/AMP.  Most of the reviews I was looking at lead me to here, so I figured I might as well become a member.  I also like Zeos's youtube channel and his reviews on there and reddit as a quick and simple review, and over here, its usually much more technical. 

I first started looking around because I always saw that gaming headsets were garbage, and audiophile sets were much, much better.  About 4 years ago, I purchased the Astro A40's with Mixamp from Best Buy, because I didn't know any better and of all the headsets they had, these got the best reviews.  They were pricey at $250, but coming from garbage $40 headsets, I thought I was in heaven.  Well, those broke and with the Best Buy warranty, they didn't have them anymore, so they gave me the wireless A50's.  At the time I thought they were good, but lately I've been feeling mehh about them.  After researching a lot, I pulled the trigger on the Mass Drop special K7xx's and I am currently awaiting them to arrive.  I knew from reviews that HyperX Cloud II's were basically Takstar Prod80's with their USB DAC thingy that has garbage 7.1 virtual surround.  Immediately these sound better than the A50's to me, so now I am super excited about the AKG's coming my way in a few weeks. 

I just really wanted to come in here and say hello and introduce myself.  I'm an IT professional by day, father/husband and aspiring youtuber with my oldest daughter, who is 7, and we are making a gaming channel and a kids channel for her.  SO hello everyone.  I've taking a lot of time to research and read up on a lot of things, but until I start getting some real equipment, its all book work and I want to gain real world experience, so when I hear all of your jargon being used, it will make since to me.

And since this new found passion, I also figured my audio collection would probably need to upgrade from the crappy 128 kbps MP3's to Flac and other formats, so I've begun researching that and collecting music in the appropriate format.  That also lead me to discovering Foobar2000, and I must say, with its components and everything else, I like it so far.  I love the built in converter after you get the correct things, like the command line Flac codec, etc. 

So overall, I'm jumping in head first and its exciting.  Just a little bummed out that I've waited this long before getting into it.  now onto deciding my DAC/AMP combo.  I've looked at the Schiit stack like a lot of others, but then I'm also looking at the SMSL M3 or M6, as well as the Fiio E10k, E12, E18k, and a whole bunch of other things.  Man I will say this, there are definitely no shortage of choices in this area, but that is also a curse for me, as I read and review everything as much as possible.

Welcome @ibbanez, like you I'm also learning as I go along. The important thing is to be happy with what you have and knowing when to stop upgrading...well, that's easier said than done, obviously :) Let me know how you like those Massdrop K7xx, they look sweet. I'd get one if I haven't already got my sights set on a pair of HD598.

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #4,389 of 15,482
hey guys really excited to start my head-fi journey!

does anyone know of a better sound isolating IEM than the etymotic er4 series? -42db is no joke but I'm looking to top that off if theres such an IEM is even in the market right now

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #4,390 of 15,482

Welcome @ibbanez, like you I'm also learning as I go along. The important thing is to be happy with what you have and knowing when to stop upgrading...well, that's easier said than done, obviously :) Let me know how you like those Massdrop K7xx, they look sweet. I'd get one if I haven't already got my sights set on a pair of HD598.

Thanks and will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back