New Member Introductions thread
Jul 10, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #13,771 of 15,519
Hi, I've been browsing these forums for years, as a member, never posted before. Before I start I must say I have a pair of Sennheiser HD580's, had them 20 years. I am however, into wireless now, move around a lot and always end up pulling amp, laptop or phone with wired.
My first wireless were Bose QC35II followed up with AirPods Pro. I am fully in the Apple Eco System so I thought I'd try AirPods Max. Fantastic and everything but far too heavy for me. I'd already sold my Bose QC35II so I am stuck at what to get. I am hoping for Apple to release a new over ears pair later this year but in the meantime I need a replacement for work. Maybe just the Bose QC45's as they old ones were a very good fit.

Jul 10, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #13,772 of 15,519
Hi, I've been browsing these forums for years, as a member, never posted before. Before I start I must say I have a pair of Sennheiser HD580's, had them 20 years. I am however, into wireless now, move around a lot and always end up pulling amp, laptop or phone with wired.
I'd just get a small wireless DAC that you can put in your shirt pocket then you can make any wired headphone a wireless headphone.

Jul 12, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #13,779 of 15,519
Hello! Been lurking around the forums for quite some time now. I've been buying and trying audio gear for a few months now and I wanna try to be more active in the community. It's a fun add-i mean hobby and one I'd like to explore further.
Are you looking to buy anything?

Jul 13, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #13,783 of 15,519
Meet me :wave:

54; been an audiophile, since my Dad...sat me down in front, of what would now be considered his kick-a$$ Vintage system...and put the headphones on me. I would say, I was about 5...and I'm pretty sure, it was to keep me from hearing my parents having s*x :L3000:

In all seriousness...I've never been much of a can 'phile; despite (or maybe because of) my childhood experiences...and the fact, that I practically lived in them during my teenage years. In fact...I'm not entirely sure, that all those hours...of sweaty, enclosed, dampness...didn't at least contribute, to my current hearing issues (that...lots of concerts, small Eustachian tubes, etc.). Which brings us to today, and here...

After a good 20 years, of living out my Stereophile dreams (at least up to the $25k mark); the last few, have been spent in audiophile recovery...and subsequently, paring-down my system...because I simply can't justify big ticket kit, with my bargain-basement hearing. Current "been-to-the-mountain...can't-just-have-a-boombox" system, is as follows:

source > Denafrips ARES II > Audiolab 6000a > PMC 25-21s (among other, budget stand-mounts)

I've been toying with the idea, of selling-off most/all of that...getting something much more "casual listening" (and maybe "lifestyle-friendly", like KEF LSXs, et al); and setting up a "decent" headphone rig.

There was a time, when I was going to do some "casual" 'phone listening...from my phone. I bought an iFi nano iDSD Black, and a pair of AKG K-272 HDs. I only used the set-up, a few times...and don't really remember my impressions, beyond "m'eh; good enough". However...with my thoughts, of possibly putting something together; I pulled the 272s out of mothballs, and started off...with plugging them, into the 6000a.

Ugh; not very good. (seemingly) NO bass...FR "balance", seemingly all out of whack (recessed mids, exaggerated highs; though, admittedly...I am not used, to evaluating things at such distance). I have some other avenues...without buying anything new...I can try. 1) I have the aforementioned iFi...though I'd have to research what sources I can make work with that, beyond my phone. I currently have...an Auralic Aries Mini, and ALLO USBridge Signature. 2) I have a brand-new, never-out-of-the-box...LH Labs Geek Pulse, I was never able to sell; and just set aside. Might be OK, for a beginner? (and better, than the on-board of the Audiolab).

I'll try them, certainly...but I've also got my eyes, on some new choices. Namely...I was thinking Senn HD 660 S, might be good bang-for-the-buck starters (or K712 Pro. Can these really be $275? https://www.amazon.com/AKG-Pro-Audi...locphy=1018702&hvtargid=pla-384523201855&th=1 )

On the "amp" side...something from SMSL, or Schiit; or, am no stranger to tubes...and find units like the DarkVoice 336SE, and especially (really only, based on looks...lol) the Glow ONE, intriguing.

Well...I've read the forum's Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies (which is particularly good); and while it's my 1st post here...for obvious reasons...I am no stranger whatsoever, to 'phile forums (and all their pros, cons, and pitfalls). So...I know there are already answers, to some...if not all...of these "questions/inquiries". And...I'll do my research. But...I also didn't think it could hurt...to introduce myself, tell my tale; and let people chime-in, if they saw fit and/or felt like it.

-CD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back