New Member Introductions thread
Nov 26, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #6,887 of 15,511
Hellow I am new to Head-fi, my current gear: Campfire audio NOVA + Pioneer XDP-30r + Han Sound Audio Muse II cable
DSC_0027.JPG

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #6,892 of 15,511
My headphone story

1998- college years- Rio mp3 and Sennheiser px200's

2000's upgraded to iPod for storage and itunes music organization. wore them px phones out.

2007- got more serious bought first serious cans. Senn 595 and a airhead amp. Worked great at work.

2010 picked up some Denon d2000 but hardly used due to job duty changes and got out of full size cans for quite a while.

2017 travel more for work and picked up a set of Beyer dt770 32 ohm and got underwhelmed by them. Thought it was weak amp. Just got fiio Q1 mk 2 and beyers still very disappointing. However the HD595 and d2000's never sounded better! Gonna get some replacement earcups for those two and move on.

I still need a full size closed back can!
Good closed back for work could be the Aeon Flow Closed. Very neutral but with the bass pad inserts it comes with can warm the can up a little bit. Check them out if you aren't familiar with them yet. We also carry the Meze 99 classic which is more "fun" sounding and less expensive. The trade off between the 2 will be detail retrieval, soundstage width and depth among other things. Have fun here!
Name's Spencer, I'm new to the world of head-fi.

I've only been interested in high quality audio for about two years now. Early on I tried several entry-level headphones, which, while having immediately noticeable flaws to them, served to unlock a latent appreciation for everything you can listen to through a sweet, sweet pair of cans.

After some time I came to the decision that I needed to take a stab at getting an exemplary set of headphones. But in researching this world of hifi audio it became readily apparent that everybody likes everything and nothing, life is nothing but context and it all has to be perfect but if you could stop chasing that there's something to appreciate in everything.

So I wanted to get something special. Doesn't have to be the best, it just needs to be fun and on a basic level feel like an individual experience. That was when the th-x00 purplehearts showed up on massdrop, something I'd just discovered. I decided to take a chance on that and man do I ever think it paid off. They're awesome. Super fun. During the interminable wait for them to be made and delivered to me the long way round I got an SMSL M6 dac/amp which helped the headphones I already had to my surprised. I had been using the amp in my Scarlett 2i4 , which isn't bad actually, it just ain't got the juice.

After that it was over a year until I made another hifi purchase, deciding it was time to check out open back headphones...
What did you get?? Open back is really awesome... I feel they only work if the environment is quiet enough (which is the sad trade off). Don't turn them up too loud to compensate!

Hi All, my name is Adam I’m a self confessed headphone junkie constantly buying and changing my headphones drives the wife crazy but makes me happy!

Pleasure to e-meet you all!
Yeah I know the feeling buddy... Glad my gf has been able to endure my obsession with HiFi sound! Don't forget the flowers every once in a while.

New member here as well! Just started going down this rabbit hole :D
Hope to own a pair of HD800 one day (saving atm)
Kudos to everyone here in the forum.
You can do A LOT worse then the HD800! industry standard for a long long time... Make sure you get the chance to demo them first if you haven't already. They are a very analytical headphone and sometimes that isn't what suits the individuals taste. I am actually listening to them as I type this. Got it hooked up to a Rogue RH5 amp and Chord Mojo! I like adding a little bit of warmth to them to really make them sing for my ears. Enjoy the journey with this hobby

-Craig

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #6,895 of 15,511
What did you get?? Open back is really awesome... I feel they only work if the environment is quiet enough (which is the sad trade off). Don't turn them up too loud to compensate!

When I got the x00's, my computer was in the common area of my apartment, so it didn't make sense to even look in to open headphones, and I honestly had no inclination to get any (I'm trying to shut out the incessant binge-watching of Friends). I had also never heard open headphones, so it seemed counter-intuitive to the "need" to use headphones in the first place. Now I understand: you wear open headphones 'cause they sound the way they do and that's just the way it is and its glorious.

You're absolutely right about the environment. My new place, the computer is in my room and there is peace.

My first inclination to get open cans was for gaming. Once again going back to the well of counter-strike, this was the first time I'd played a game where positional sound was so important since graduating from using Best Buy's okayest looking headset. Wasn't looking to get anything nice, just something known for being (gaming) good and also comfortable on people with big heads. I suffer from acute having-a-large-skull-itis. To finally answer that dang question I got the ATH-500x's. And what the hell, they're really good! Sound quality-wise I understood where I was at with them, but they are crazy comfortable and absolutely delivering on the virtues of the open can. I started listening to podcasts on them as well as gaming. After a while I'm sitting there, I'm thinking they're awesome and I'd really like to try the 1000/2000x's and in that way they made me want to try a real set of open heaphones...

Nov 28, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #6,899 of 15,511
Hello everyone! I'm a musician/musicologist, music-addicted from Italy. Some yeras ago, buying a pair of Grado SR60i made me absolutely fond of headphone listening. I lurk Head-Fi from a while, and now... I'm here. :hand_splayed:
Welcome hope you enjoy your time here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back