New Member Introductions thread
Sep 26, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #4,201 of 15,495
No, I already got all the pieces for the one I wanted, just missing assembly, but thanks for the offer.

As for headphones, I was looking at the MrSpeakers ETHER C Flow and ask what I was missing to make it work on my setup, but I’ll do it in a proper thread whenever I get some time.

Thanks!

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #4,202 of 15,495
Greetings from Spain,

Any recommendations of cable sleeves that are soft?
I use Techflesh PET and MDPC-X Germany (cable-sleeving) but "PET" is very "hard" for make cable for headphones. For other cable´s type is perfect and for PC custom.

Thank´s in advance.

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #4,203 of 15,495
You never bought any albums? Surely you must have some. I ripped mine to FLAC, so I have some losseless music. If Tidal lets you download the tunes you're listening to, that changes things, and I might consider a service like that in the future...provided you can do this on the desktop as well.

Converting vinyl isn't a straightforward process, if you want to do it correctly.

I bought a few CDs way back in the 90's as a teenager, and then mp3s happened. I'm not proud, but I amassed a 40+ GB collection of less-than-legal music -- generally by "charging" people a copy of their mp3 collection for fixing their computer, but also via Napster/Limewire/Torrent. The vast majority of that music is still on an external hard drive somewhere, but it's all encoded at 128-192kbps, so I doubt it would be very satisfying through my Noble 3U's or Sennheiser HD650's. All my current music resides in my iTunes library, so my "albums" are all lossy 320kbps AAC. Tidal HiFi adds a bit of detail to those songs that makes the music more enjoyable, so I just pay and do everything I can to find new music every month to add to my playlists so it is worthwhile to me.

BTW, I looked around and Tidal doesn't support offline listening in their browser or desktop PC application, only their Android/iOS apps. I sent them a sternly-worded feature request, though, so maybe they'll get to it eventually.

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #4,204 of 15,495
Hello there. I’m Andrés.

I’ve only just recently started moving up the headphone-quality ladder, so please bear with me. Truth be told I don’t think I’ll ever really become a true audiophile (constantly trying new headphones, know about all the different terms, etc.), but I have acquired a taste for good quality audio.

My year and half [COLOR=222222]Audio-Technica’s [/COLOR]ATH-M50x leather is starting to crack (functionally it’s still perfect), and I’m building a gaming PC (back from a four-year console-only journey), which is making me start looking for a really, really good solution for music-gaming, while leaving the M50x just for my commute and at work.

Thank you all for being here and answering so many questions; to be honest, I registered to make some of my own.

Thanks again, and keep it up!

Howdy Andrés,

I actually got sucked into high-end audio thanks to my gaming PC. I wanted a 3D surround setup for gaming, and I saw a review that said "don't pay a bunch of money for a bunch of cheap drivers (like the Razer Kraken 7.1, which has 5 drivers per ear to approximate a 7.1ch speaker system)... pay a bunch of money for two really amazing drivers, then use virtual surround." Because of that recommendation, I ended up with the Sennheiser GAME ONE headset, which opened my eyes to a whole new world of amazing audio. From there I went on to the HD650's for my music. If I am playing multiplayer games I use the GAME ONE's for their amazing microphone. If I'm playing a single-player game, I plug in the HD650's.

To drive these headphones/headsets, I got the Sound Blaster E5, which doubles as a mobile DAC and headphone amp when I want to use my iPod Touch. With my desktop or laptop, it also provides amazing positional audio in 3D games. I've been accused of "wallhacks" and "esp" cheats (among others) simply because I can actually hear from where other players' footsteps are coming.

I would suggest that you choose headphones based on the music you listen to and your preference between warm or analytical audio. If you cover your music tastes, I think the way your games sound will fall in line. I chose Sennheiser for their neutral sound signature, but the HD650s because they at least lean towards the warm side. When I'm gaming, I use a completely flat EQ, but I will throw a V-shaped EQ in the mix for most of the music I listen to (lots of electronic stuff, industrial, and then an ecclectic Jackson Pollock-esque splattering of every other genre -- except classical or opera).

I can't recommend the Sound Blaster E5/ Sennheiser GAME ONE combination high enough, but if that is too far outside of your price range you can save some money by getting the Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1. It might not have as good a DAC, and the headphone amp isn't as high quality as the E5, plus it isn't mobile (it doesn't have a battery, so it always has to be plugged into a computer), but it does give you the same amazing positional 3D virtual surround as the E5. So you get great 3D gaming use out of it, and it can drive headphones with impedences up to 600ohms.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the audiophile fold!

P.S. - I recently discovered the Antlion ModMic 4.0, which lets you add an easily detachable boom microphone to your favorite pair of headphones. I haven't tried it out myself, but it does get good reviews. I may end up getting it for my HD650's and retiring the GAME ONE's if the mic is good enough for voice comms in game.

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #4,205 of 15,495
Hello,

My name is Wilson and I'm a Headphone Addict and music enthusiast, I been wondering around the forum and reading thread right and left, it‘s about time to really join and get involved in ideas.

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #4,206 of 15,495
For microphone, I have a Blue Yeti, and although I’ve only used it for conferencing, it works really well. With my current setup, I’ll be setting up an Audio-Technica ATH-M50x + Blue Yeti combo for gaming.

Budget is not an issue (relatively speaking), which is why I’m checking the forums for details on the MrSpeakers ETHER C Flow, specially those aimed at gaming. Of course, if there is something that improves my M50x experience and it’s much cheaper than the MrSpeakers option, the better.

Assuming I keep using the Blue Yeti, what headphones would you recommend that have the same things you mention (the virtual surround stuff)?

Thanks!

PS: Do you think there is another thread where we can chat about it? Not sure this is the right thread for it. :)

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #4,207 of 15,495
  Greetings from Spain,

Any recommendations of cable sleeves that are soft?
I use Techflesh PET and MDPC-X Germany (cable-sleeving) but "PET" is very "hard" for make cable for headphones. For other cable´s type is perfect and for PC custom.

Thank´s in advance.

Hola,

I recommend you try nylon multifilament sleeving. Its very soft. We offer them on our website in three colors; Black, Silver, and White.
http://www.plussoundaudio.com/diy/parts.html

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Sep 27, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #4,208 of 15,495
Hi guys! I've been using these forums for knowledge many years, and never made an account. The time is now. I wanted to join the community and post some personal mods that I have done. Not new to audio.

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #4,209 of 15,495
I bought a few CDs way back in the 90's as a teenager, and then mp3s happened. I'm not proud, but I amassed a 40+ GB collection of less-than-legal music -- generally by "charging" people a copy of their mp3 collection for fixing their computer, but also via Napster/Limewire/Torrent. The vast majority of that music is still on an external hard drive somewhere, but it's all encoded at 128-192kbps, so I doubt it would be very satisfying through my Noble 3U's or Sennheiser HD650's. All my current music resides in my iTunes library, so my "albums" are all lossy 320kbps AAC. Tidal HiFi adds a bit of detail to those songs that makes the music more enjoyable, so I just pay and do everything I can to find new music every month to add to my playlists so it is worthwhile to me.

BTW, I looked around and Tidal doesn't support offline listening in their browser or desktop PC application, only their Android/iOS apps. I sent them a sternly-worded feature request, though, so maybe they'll get to it eventually.

FWIW, I was exactly there about 5-years ago.  Then I canned iTunes, went with JRiver, and re-ripped all my CD's in FLAC or ALAC format Redbook.  Also bought some 24/96 music from HDTracks. As your rigs progress, you will be amazed at the SQ improvement.  Welcome to Head-Fi.

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #4,211 of 15,495
Sep 28, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #4,213 of 15,495
Greeting from South Africa, my name is Johann

I have been browsing this forum for a long time but only recently created an account.
What started my journey was when i purchased my first decent receiver a Marantz SR5009 and a set of Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.1 Speaker set.
Granted the included sub woofer is rubbish :p I Currently use JBL cinema 610 and a HK AVR 151 in my bedroom.
Due to space constraints i moved the SR5009 receiver to my pc and baught a pair of Boston A25 bookshelf speakers and a Boston CSII 10" Subwoofer.
Now i started with Sennheiser HD598 headphones, but sold them quickly as the sound was great but found the bass lacking and light.
I then acquired a barely used pair of Sony MDR-1A's, then succumbed to the SennheiserHD6X0 praise on this site and others and got a pair of 650's.
Safe to say my Sony's don't get allot of head time :p but now i only have a Micca Origen+, Marantz SR5009 AVR and a Sound Blaster Z to power my new HD650's 
Locally there ain't allot of options and it's quite expensive to import good budget gear, even harder to have a listen to the popular items.

The one proper usb dac i can find locally is the Audeze Deckard, but i can't find impressions if they will pair well with my HD650's.
Is there anyone who has experience with the Deckard and 650's?

Regards
Johann

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #4,215 of 15,495

Assuming I keep using the Blue Yeti, what headphones would you recommend that have the same things you mention (the virtual surround stuff)?

Thanks!

PS: Do you think there is another thread where we can chat about it? Not sure this is the right thread for it. :)

Virtual surround is usually a function of the DAC, or more specifically a function of the driver software that controls the DAC.  Most virtual surround is "rendered" on the PC in software, then it is just played through the DAC into any pair of stereo headphones.  The Sound Blaster E5 and Omni Surround 5.1 both have a DSP chip that may handle virtual surround, but that might also just happen in the Windows driver.  I don't know for sure which.  Obviously, if you buy one of the Sound Blaster products, you get the driver "free" with the product.

There is also a software virtual surround by Razer aptly named "Razer Surround" that is part of their "Razer Synapse" suite of software that interfaces with their mice, keyboards, and gaming headsets.  You can purchase the software for something like $20, I believe, but if you own any registered Razer product (in my case, I have a Razer Naga Epic mouse) you can download it for free.  It was impressive, though I feel like the Sound Blaster virtual surround is just slightly more accurate (could just be owner's bias, though).

You are more than welcome to PM me if you have any questions.  I don't know of any specific threads, but there are definitely forums that should cover these topics.  Let me know if you post anywhere and I'll join the discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back