New Member Introductions thread
Feb 13, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #3,181 of 15,519
New member myself , been lurking quite a while now . I live an hour west of St Louis (GO CARDS !!) . Been around music & live setups , it seems since birth . My Dad was in a band in high school , I have friends who play . My headphone journey , started about 18 months ago , starting with the JVC HA-RX900's . Graduated from there , to the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (still have those) . I also have a set of Sony MDR V6 , HD 518's , & my current headphones (wearing them now) , is the HD598 SE's . My next headphones , will be the HD600 or 650's , paired with the right amp .

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #3,182 of 15,519
Hi all,
I'm new here likewise. Got the bluedio UFO Faith series from my Mrs as a birthday gift last year. Last week it developed a fault and won't power on. It charges till light are blue. Now its permanently blue. Just last night i noticed while connected to the laptop it powered on and connected wirelesslly to my tablet. I thought it had come back to life but when i unplugged the USB from laptop it shut down immediately. I dont know what to do. Please I'll appreciate any advice. Apparently it works while charging only! Could it be battery? I cant even phathom how to DIY the set. Not much help on repairs too untill i found this forum. Looking forward to getting some great help.
Many thanks .

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #3,183 of 15,519

Welcome! Watch your wallet...

So true. Started with momentum and then wanted a dac/amp. Got the schiit stack... then wanted open headphones. Got the hd650. Then wanted a new amp. Got the BH crack. Now wanting to try hd800.... where does it end??
o2smile.gif

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #3,184 of 15,519
Hi- 

Didn't want to start a thread either for introduction, I am more a speaker listener and have come across/lurked head fi quite awhile in the search to educate myself on DACs and this forum is a great resource for that! First got into computer audio many years ago on the other end, recording. That was painful as I remember the first state of the art $15,000.00 Studer 2 track DAW waiting for 5 minutes for it to process a single crossfade! It was actually way quicker to just splice the tape physically! But we stayed with it and the computer became an excellent tool as the Macs/PCs themselves improved. And even with the processing wait times, it seemed miraculous to have all of that power to work on a screen!

In studio world, our very first taste of digital audio was the Panasonic SV-3700 DAT machine. It too seemed so convenient, just select a track number and it skipped right to it + no more tape hiss on the master. I think that was before the CD made it's entrance to consumer world, none of us knew about DACs and their importance yet. But I do remember in a long workday of editing on that wonderfully convenient SV-3700 that you would quickly get ear fatigue and we engineers described it to each other as sounding "hard". That began the quest. I finished up my pro audio career as a studio owner and at that time was using a hybrid studio with both analog multitrack and DAW machines and got the best of both worlds that way.

Came about using the PC music library nearly by accident. My kids always liked the same music as me when they were little and it drove me mad how they would scratch up all of the CDs! So, got a brain and began ripping discs as soon as they were unwrapped so I had a backup, now that has evolved into a pretty darn nice music library, some HD tracks but mostly 44.1 bit perfect .wav. For music lovers, the digital library is a wonderful revolution and a source of great joy to have such a convenient way to organize it. The playback quality can be very, very good with PC/Mac as the transport. But it always amazes me the sometimes drastic differences with DACs, cables and even buffer settings on a system that can reveal such differences! Holy Grail Quest much? Thanks, David

Feb 14, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #3,185 of 15,519
Feb 14, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #3,186 of 15,519
Greetings,

New to Head-Fi having found it doing an online search for 'Best PC FLAC Player'. I'm a stereo fan from the 1950s, when my cousin and I discovered my Uncle's McIntosh tube preamp, power amp, and Garrard turntable. Been building stereo systems ever since. Purchased my first HiFi system from Allied Electronics in the late 1960s. Later found a brick-and-mortar HiFi store in Madison, WI, Beechers, where I started buying upgrades, such as the AR1 turntable, Advent The Larger and Smaller speakers, TEAC reel-to-reel, etc. Currently, my primary system is running Sennheiser HD600 headphones, B&W 801s, Bryston pre and power amps, Sony SCD1 SACD, and Theta Digital Miles redbook CD player, VPI turntable, and AudioQuest cabling. Have several pair of Denon and Audio-Technica headphones as well, just for fun.

Since SACD and DVD Audio physical media seem to be 'dying on the vine', I'm concluding Hi Res audio downloads seem to be the current popular method for obtaining high quality audio.

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #3,187 of 15,519
So true. Started with momentum and then wanted a dac/amp. Got the schiit stack... then wanted open headphones. Got the hd650. Then wanted a new amp. Got the BH crack. Now wanting to try hd800.... where does it end??:o2smile:
It doesn't. I have to delay retiring now for another 10 years. Sigh.

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #3,190 of 15,519
Hi all,

My name is Adnan from NY and I am an headphone addict too (sounding like an AA meeting). I am a sucker for lower meds and sub-bass. I own the following right now:

1. Senn. HD 600
2. Senn. HD 598
3. Grado RS2e
4. Alpha Primes
5. Logitech UE9000 (these are BT but they sound amazing wired)
6. Mad Dogs
7. AT M50xDG

My favorites are: 1, 3, 4 and 5. 

Besides the phones my DAC/Amps are modest:

1. SMSL sAp || Pro
2. LittleDOT Tube Amp
3. Audioengine D1

Besides these I use an Astell&Kern Jr. that I absolutely love. Hoping to review some of my stuff in the forum. 

Looking forward to more buddies here. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #3,191 of 15,519
Hi all!

I'm not a new member, just one that took a loooong sabbatical from "head-fi" because: 1. I was happy with my rig at the time (explanation below) and 2. My other hobby, watches, had my full attention and I just had no money left for other hobbies.

I started getting into headphones because of the kids (at that time, only one... now two). However, I mostly listen to music when working, and at that time I had a home office and an actual office at work, so both my setups had speakers: Audioengine A2's with Nuforce ICON uDACs (nothing super special but I enjoyed the sound a lot).

Right now I don't have a home office and I have a cubicle at work, so I'm looking at headphones again, but tons of new stuff so not sure what to do. I spent the weekend researching new equipment and I might pull the trigger on the Hifiman HE-400s soon, plus the Oppo HA-2 portable amp/dac looks great for a night stand rig (using the iphone/ipad as the music source). Then again, for the price of the HA-2 I could get the a nice Schiit stack and use the macbook as the music source. Decisions, decisions. I will elaborate about this on a separate thread, really need help from the collective knowledge of this forum.

For fun, this was the first "rig" I had:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529140/show-us-your-head-fi-station-at-its-current-state-no-old-pictures-please/810#post_7397832

Another old picture (with the HD598):

I ended up getting a pair of Sennheiser HD598 and Alessandro MS1i headphones along with a Total Bithead amp, but sold everything here (again, I had no actual need for headphones that my bose iems could not fulfill).

I currently listen to music from my work laptop or iphone, through an Audioquest Dragonfly and either bose iems or bose AE2. At home I just use the iphone and either the bose iems or AE2s, and that's what I really want to upgrade. I just ordered the Shure SE215 and if I find them comfortable (and like the sound), will probably upgrade them to the 315 or 425 (always like having a pair of iems). 

All in all, very glad to be back. Although I list watches as my main hobby, I've always been a fan of music (used to play guitars and drums), so music is not a hobby per se, it's just part of me.

beerchug.gif

Feb 15, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #3,194 of 15,519
Hey everyone, my name is Dave.  I'm a long time lurker here on Head-Fi that finally decided to create an account.  I'm contrabandwidth over on r/Headphones.  I'm an audiophile who has been listening mainly on speakers up until somewhat recently.  Having to had pack up my speakers, I couldn't stay away from hifi for long and bought my first headphone: the HD598.  Very quickly I started to seek out bigger and better things.  I bought a Fiio E17k and DT770 250 ohm, wanted more and bought a Lyr 2/Modi2U and a pair of HE560s. Wanting more bass impact, I bought some TH-X00 off the used market.  

I've spend more money than I've wanted but I still want more!  I am hooked!  Anyone have any leads on a good deal for the HD800S?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back