New Member...Emerging Audiophile
Jan 29, 2018 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

KBurbridge14

New Head-Fier
I have a couple of questions regarding TIDAL and Chord Mojo. If I keep all of the TIDAL's Mojo settings unchecked ("Use Exclusive Mode," "Force Volume," and "Passthrough MQA"--all unchecked), according to Mojo (Purple color lit) I am hearing 768K sound. If I check all 3 of the options above, I only show 44K (red button lit) or 48K (for Masters recordings). I am listening on Sennheiser HD800s. Can/Should I trust what Mojo is indicating? In other words, is the sound really better without "Passthrough MQA" selected?

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 2
You should ask Chord.. the colors are shiny but hard to figure. Anyway, you definitely want to pass through MQA if your DAC supports it. Otherwise there is software conversion somewhere and that seems like a bad idea.

Thinking about this a little more...

MQA is about compressing info into a CD-like envelope. So if it looks like 44 KHz with MQA enabled that sounds correct. I think the problem would be that Mojo doesn't support MQA so you don't get the benefit of all the MQA unfolding.

I cannot explain why it looks like you're getting 768K without MQA passthrough. Without MQA passthrough, somebody (tidal?) is supposed to be uncompressing the stream before sending it to a DAC is which not MQA-enabled. I guess this would be the appropriate setting for Mojo, let tidal or the app unfold it and send the stream... but I cannot understand why it would be 768K. I would think 192K at the most, based on what I have seen from Tidal so far on MQA (88, 96, 192) from the Masters I played.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back