NEW MD - Need Advice
Sep 19, 2002 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Ari

500+ Head-Fier
Hey All !!

My MZ R 37 (Sony) is "going" Down. I love it but it's starting to "reject" some disks. You press PLAY and it keeps seeking and does not play nothing. Does anybody know what is this?

The problem is that I'm just waiting my JMT CH 47/Tangent META 42 and a pair of ETYs to get here. And I do not think I can fix my MZ 37 in Brasilia.

So I'll need a new MD rec/player:

a) AA Battery
b) Real Line Out
c) Good sound reproduction
d) Reliable

I don't care about net MD but would be OK. The main issue is hifi quality.

Any opinions??

Thanks all

Ari
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 21
Hmm.. Do MT180s take AA batteries?

Your R37 sounds dirty. Get some Isopropyl alchol and a so called Q-tip (a.k.a small piece of cotton wool on a stick). Dip it in the alcohol, so its moist, and then apply to lens. Let it dry and it might play better..

Sep 19, 2002 at 11:29 AM Post #4 of 21
... or the optical head may may have gone (slightly) out of alignment. Could be fixed, but probably not worth it.

The Sony MZ-N1 (Net MD) and MZ-R909 have a line out mode through the headphone socket, and are reportedly reliable within Sony's usual limits. They use gumsticks, but will also take AA's with the bolt-on battery pack.

Might also be worth considering a Sharp.

Sep 19, 2002 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by myself, aka me
Hmm.. Do MT180s take AA batteries?

Your R37 sounds dirty. Get some Isopropyl alchol and a so called Q-tip (a.k.a small piece of cotton wool on a stick). Dip it in the alcohol, so its moist, and then apply to lens. Let it dry and it might play better..

Hey Myself !!

Q-tip is fine....
wink.gif
... I'll try use Isolp. Good tip !! A question: Is that lens plastic or glass? Too much?

Thanks
Ari

KJ_Palmer wrote

The Sony MZ-N1 (Net MD) and MZ-R909 have a line out mode through the headphone socket, and are reportedly reliable within Sony's usual limits. They use gumsticks, but will also take AA's with the bolt-on battery pack.

Might also be worth considering a Sharp.

Hey Palmer !

I have heard about Sharp's quality, better than Sonys... True?

Best

Ari

Sep 19, 2002 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 21
Well, Sharps tend to have a 'brighter' sound compared to Sonys which have a more neutral sound.
Sharps are good for playing rock/pop, but I like the Sonys as I mostly listen to classical music.
The Sharps have a slightly higher headphone output than the Sonys though, if you like your music loud, at the expense of battery life.
Sharps have better mic pre-amps so are preferred for live recording, especially loud rock concerts.
Sonys, especially newer ones, have a better version of ATRAC so are arguably better at recording digitally.
This is all a bit simplistic of course. Personally I'd stick with Sony for the moment.

Sep 19, 2002 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 21
"The Sony MZ-N1 (Net MD) and MZ-R909 have a line out mode through the headphone socket, and are reportedly reliable within Sony's usual limits. They use gumsticks, but will also take AA's with the bolt-on battery pack."

The mz-n707 takes a AA. However it doesn't have a line-out function.

I'll be receiving a Total Airhead today and a JMT built CHA 47 today or tomorrow. Then I can let you know how the headphone out on the n707 sounds when amped.

Sep 19, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 21
Thanks Kevin. Helped a lot !!

Here is a new point of view:

I need a MD for portable listening. But would love to have the best possible sound quality to use it w/ CH47 and Meta 42.

I'm talking about just MDs because I got used to then. But... it could be a PCPD instead. My issues are SOUND QUALITY, LINE OUT and AA batteries.

Question is:
confused.gif

a) Who'll give me best quality sound? MD os PCDP ?
b) In case it's a PCDP, what should I be looking at?
c) Computer burned CDs have same quality as THE source CD?

Thank you all very much

Ari

Sep 20, 2002 at 11:50 AM Post #10 of 21
Ari,
in absolute terms a CD player would give the best quality due to lack of compression. CDR copies would be near bit-for-bit copies of the original, sometimes even better due to reduced jitter.
I'm a bit out of touch with the latest PCDP's. The Sony D-EJ925 is supposed to be good, if you have £150 to spare, or the latest Panasonics.
But I like the MD format because of its portabilty, editability, and convenience. IMO its the best portable format going.
The sound quality of MD in portable use is as near to dammit CD quality, and is also very good in a separates setup.

Sep 20, 2002 at 12:13 PM Post #11 of 21
Wouldn't an MP3 CD player with a proper line-out, like the Sony D-CJ01, suit you better? Since you'll be carrying an amp anyway, it's obvious that ultimate portability is not your concern.

Sound quality - especially if it'll be amped via the line out, the D-CJ01 with regular CD's will kick the ass of any MD - especially as you can have the remote plugged in at the same time as the Line Out. The CJ01 will also give you the option for playing back compressed audio - up to 320K MP3.

The CJ01 operates off two AA alkaline, nicad or nimh batteries. The included AC adaptor also charges the latter two battery types in the unit.

There are many opinions for computer burned audio. Most of my more music-industry-type friends say that burning above 4x is a problem. Some still burn in real-time with a CD-R deck and a high-end optical/coax soundcard. Guess you'll have to try it and see if you're anal enough to detect the difference on a portable!

Quote:

Originally posted by Ari
Thanks Kevin. Helped a lot !!

Here is a new point of view:

I need a MD for portable listening. But would love to have the best possible sound quality to use it w/ CH47 and Meta 42.

I'm talking about just MDs because I got used to then. But... it could be a PCPD instead. My issues are SOUND QUALITY, LINE OUT and AA batteries.

Question is:
confused.gif

a) Who'll give me best quality sound? MD os PCDP ?
b) In case it's a PCDP, what should I be looking at?
c) Computer burned CDs have same quality as THE source CD?

Thank you all very much

Ari

Sep 20, 2002 at 2:36 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
Sound quality - especially if it'll be amped via the line out, the D-CJ01 with regular CD's will kick the ass of any MD - especially as you can have the remote plugged in at the same time as the Line Out.

True, if you have a Sony PCDP model that has a remote control. But here in the U.S., the D-CJ01 has no remote at all whatsoever - you may have to order a remote through Sony's Parts Department. Another case of a major consumer-electronics manufacturer decontenting/cheapening a unit for the U.S. market!

Sep 20, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 21
Ah. yes... But you can order one from Minidisco, AudioCubes, etc etc... You don't have to pay Sony's incredible costs.

Sep 20, 2002 at 3:59 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
You don't have to pay Sony's incredible costs.

Like $38+ USD plus tax and shipping just for a single NH-14WM gumstick rechargeable battery - and CD Walkmans that use that size battery need two of them! That adds up to well over $80 USD if you order the batteries directly from Sony's Parts Department!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back