New: Matrix Audio HPA-2C Classic Amp/DAC (With Review)
May 6, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #16 of 48
Listening to the Beyerdynamic T1 (original version) there is still a hint of sibilance and the well known treble peak, but they do sound very good out of this amp.
Again I'm using it on low gain and the volume knob is only at 10/11 o'clock.

The sound is dynamic, full and detailed. Very good synergy here, I can imagine it would sound excellent with the T1 2nd generation also.

Also the amp doen't generate a lot of heat, it stays cool even after a couple of hours of listening. I will be testing this as an Amp/DAC combo soon rather than only amp.

Thanks for your impression! Sounds the amp section is very good.... what do you think about the dac section respectively using the unit as Dac/Amp combo.
So I can conclude from your comments it doesn't sound dry, analytical?

May 9, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #17 of 48
It is clean and detailed but not analytical. I am hoping to write the review up tomorrow. As a DAC/Amp combo it works really well, and unless you need the extra 1% detail of a higher end DAC I would be very happy with the DAC in this amp. Perfect for an all in one solution.

More to come soon :)

May 11, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #18 of 48
Review has been typed up, just photos to be done then I will publish it here.

May 15, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #21 of 48
I think so, cosmetic changes and also they probably changed the quality of some of the components.

Also the price is lower than the original and it now has a built in DAC as standard.

May 16, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #23 of 48
  Check 2nd post for the review 

Thanks for the insightful review! I think in that price range it is really one of the best options, especially for full size cans.
I read in your review that the Opamp is replaceable? Do you know which Opamp is installed by default? I've read a lot of good things about the Burson V5 Opamp. Do you think this opamp will work in the new Classic as well?

May 17, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #24 of 48
I haven't opened mine up to check the op-amp, but i will at some point. I've always been a fan of the LME47920 or LME49990 due to their very flat and detailed sound.

I'll crack the HPA-2C open and take a look soon.

May 21, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #25 of 48
I won one of these DAC/Amps in the Canlanta raffle and I am mightily impressed with its ability to reveal the true nature of files you feed it - bad mastering, too much eq, "hashy" sounding transfers from tape to digital - all flaws revealed. The amp is slightly crunchy - like a MOSFET amp - hooked up to my HiFiMan 400S'. Plenty of juice though when you need it. Some of my smoother sounding recordings sound STAGGERING thru this thing.

Sure, I heard a better sounding headphone amp at the show, . . . but it had tubes, and was the size of a bookshelf speaker, and lacked a DAC, and cost $1800!

So you get what you pay for, the HPA-2C is a great piece at this price, just under $300.

I can't think Matrix enough for the gift! You all made my month!

May 23, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #26 of 48
I won one of these DAC/Amps in the Canlanta raffle and I am mightily impressed with its ability to reveal the true nature of files you feed it - bad mastering, too much eq, "hashy" sounding transfers from tape to digital - all flaws revealed. The amp is slightly crunchy - like a MOSFET amp - hooked up to my HiFiMan 400S'. Plenty of juice though when you need it. Some of my smoother sounding recordings sound STAGGERING thru this thing.

Sure, I heard a better sounding headphone amp at the show, . . . but it had tubes, and was the size of a bookshelf speaker, and lacked a DAC, and cost $1800!

So you get what you pay for, the HPA-2C is a great piece at this price, just under $300.

Congratulations on winning one of these, they are great for the price and plenty powerful for most headphones :)

May 25, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #27 of 48

Lucky you :wink:
I ordered one at this very moment as well. Can't wait for it to arrive. Because I am eyeing op-amp rolls but still don't know which op-amp is installed by default in the new version, maybe you could tell me which one is installed by default? I have to do some reasearch in the meantime because the waiting for new gear is so hard every time :D

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #30 of 48
Just saw one of these in the ads for a great price so I had to pick it up.  Gonna compare it to my Oppo HA-1.  Been thinking of downsizing my desktop setup for a while now so we'll see how the HPA-2C does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back