knights

500+ Head-Fier
anyone of you who use this?

7999-IMG4594s.jpg

7999-IMG4596s.jpg

reviews are almost positive...

Philips SHE9850 Noise Isolating Earphones - TrustedReviews

Jul 5, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 14
Hmm, Ink'ds pop&crackle when inserted, which sucks bigtime.

Comparing the Philips to the Shure se310's!
Would sure like to test these against my E4C's
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by knights /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone of you who use this?

reviews are almost positive...

Philips SHE9850 Noise Isolating Earphones - TrustedReviews

I got a set to review, thought they were awful - no better than Sony Fontopia but at a much higher price. Thick, plastic-y "enhanced" bass sound, completely flat soundstage, muted, undetailed highs. I don't understand the near-universal praise for these. There are several reviews stating that they have better sound than comparable Etymotic ER6i. NO! Not even close. They're average at best. Not worth more than about $35, but priced at nearly three times that much.

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #8 of 14
I'm really interested in these phones, they seem like a nice balanced IEM and so far has gotten good reviews. Think I'll wait for a head-fier to review them. I hope they are comparable to ER-6is and Super Fi-3s, hopefully they'll be better then both.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really interested in these phones, they seem like a nice balanced IEM and so far has gotten good reviews. Think I'll wait for a head-fier to review them. I hope they are comparable to ER-6is and Super Fi-3s, hopefully they'll be better then both.

Can't speak for the Super Fi's, but they (the Philips) are murky and muddy compared to the ER6i. If you like mud, you'll love 'em. The only advantage they have over the Etys is bass. Lots and lots of bass.

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by malnar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't speak for the Super Fi's, but they (the Philips) are murky and muddy compared to the ER6i. If you like mud, you'll love 'em. The only advantage they have over the Etys is bass. Lots and lots of bass.

lots and lots of bass? i think you're comparing apple to orange. just like nobody here compare super fi eb and er4s.

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #12 of 14
If you are willing to move into the ~$100 range, then the Westone UM1 may be a good competitor as well.

I can't speak from personal experiences (just yet), but based on all that I read here, mine should be arriving in the mail any day now!

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lbny_rob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are willing to move into the ~$100 range, then the Westone UM1 may be a good competitor as well.

I can't speak from personal experiences (just yet), but based on all that I read here, mine should be arriving in the mail any day now!

You are getting the UM 1s and not the SHE 9850 right?

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #14 of 14
I was never considering the SHE 9850.

I would love to splurge for the UM2 or SA6 but have to set some limits. The UM1 is basically $109 everywhere. The level of reported comfort and fit, especially for smaller ear canals was a major factor- also in eliminating some of the competition. Also, since most of my portable listening will be on my XM receiver or compressed MP3 files, perhaps the more expensive IEM are overkill.

Rob

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are getting the UM 1s and not the SHE 9850 right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back