New & Looking for Supra-aural Headphones (HD25 vs DT1350 - current cans are Grado SR80)
Oct 7, 2013 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

clashofphish

New Head-Fier
Hello all. New around here and looking for some suggestions on headphones.

First, my current cans are Grado SR80s, which I highly enjoy. In fact these are my 2nd set of Grados and Grado is the only brand of headphones I've been using for the past 8 years or so.

The main reason I'm looking for new cans, is that Grados just aren't that good for listening in noisy environments. I like the open back construction most of the time, but I've been traveling more lately and open back just doesn't work for planes.

My search started with Sol Republic Tracks vs Bose OE2, but the more research I do the more I think the extra cash would be worth spending on either Sennheiser HD-25 or Beyerdynamic DT-1350. (Possibly the Sennheiser Amperior as well)

So the big question I can't find an answer to: which of these cans (HD25 or DT1350) is going to give me a feel similar to the Grados? Or are they so very different there is no comparison?

Genre wise, I can't think to narrow to less than 5: punk, blues, jam (think Phish or Grateful Dead), old school hip-hop, and house/psytrance. I'm very open to suggestions, but I was think that a more neutral sounding set would be best for such a wide range of sound. Live music is also very important to me, if that makes a difference.

Other suggestions for cans are welcome, but I have a few restrictions: must be supra-aural & must sound good without an amp? Otherwise I just want something fun sounding for listening both indoors and on the go. I wouldn't go so far as to call myself an audiophile (especially compared to some of the fellow head-fi'ers), but good sounding music is an absolute must.

(Sorry if this topic has been covered before, hate being one of those guys cluttering a forum with repetitive threads. Was actually going to post this in another long running review/advice thread I found yesterday, but couldn't find it again.)

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 3
  Hello all. New around here and looking for some suggestions on headphones.

First, my current cans are Grado SR80s, which I highly enjoy. In fact these are my 2nd set of Grados and Grado is the only brand of headphones I've been using for the past 8 years or so.

The main reason I'm looking for new cans, is that Grados just aren't that good for listening in noisy environments. I like the open back construction most of the time, but I've been traveling more lately and open back just doesn't work for planes.

My search started with Sol Republic Tracks vs Bose OE2, but the more research I do the more I think the extra cash would be worth spending on either Sennheiser HD-25 or Beyerdynamic DT-1350. (Possibly the Sennheiser Amperior as well)

So the big question I can't find an answer to: which of these cans (HD25 or DT1350) is going to give me a feel similar to the Grados? Or are they so very different there is no comparison?

Genre wise, I can't think to narrow to less than 5: punk, blues, jam (think Phish or Grateful Dead), old school hip-hop, and house/psytrance. I'm very open to suggestions, but I was think that a more neutral sounding set would be best for such a wide range of sound. Live music is also very important to me, if that makes a difference.

Other suggestions for cans are welcome, but I have a few restrictions: must be supra-aural & must sound good without an amp? Otherwise I just want something fun sounding for listening both indoors and on the go. I wouldn't go so far as to call myself an audiophile (especially compared to some of the fellow head-fi'ers), but good sounding music is an absolute must.

(Sorry if this topic has been covered before, hate being one of those guys cluttering a forum with repetitive threads. Was actually going to post this in another long running review/advice thread I found yesterday, but couldn't find it again.)

HD25 would be closer to grados, but with less intimate vocals. DT1350 is more relaxed and balanced headphone. Both should be fine without an amp, but they do benefit.

If you would like warm sound with natural sound, DT1350 is my call.
If you like more bassy and trebly sound with fun sound(but lacks vocal/string a bit), HD25 is my call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back