New Line Conditioner doe it all!!!!
Aug 6, 2002 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

fredpb

1000+ Head-Fier
My search is completed. I wanted something to disconnect my main system during brownouts. I got a Tripplite LC2400 2400watt ac regulator. It also has surge suppression. And I contacted TrippLite and they said if the input voltage drops so low that the regulator can't boost enough it disconnects power from the equipment!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Perfect!!!

It also does filtering and isolates components.

Need one more now. Maybe in a few months....

Aug 6, 2002 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 18
Ahhh crap. So why doesn't Tripplite advertise this little feature? They might sell quite a bit more if they did. I just bought a 6 outlet Isobar DBS and a 6 outlet Isobar Ultra for my audio/computer equipment. Maybe later I'll pick myself up a LC2400 too. So is the LC2400 basically a voltage regulator plus an Isobar? Or would it be beneficial to have the Isobar connected to the LC2400 for added protection?

andrzejpw: I think fredpb probably got his at provantage.com for $193.57 - also, a search on Yahoo shopping might result in some decent prices as well.

Aug 6, 2002 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 18
I have been using Isobar Ultra and Isobar DBS to protect my computers and AV system in the living room for years. I don't have problem using it with my computer, however, on my AV system I see and hear noise when someone switching light/appliances. It just doesn't seem to have enough isolation for my home electrical system.

I'm shopping for one with better isolation. According to Tripp Lite spec: The noise supression is >20dB@50kHz, >40dB@500kHz, >75dB@1MHz. I don't have data for direct comparsion, but it looks like brick wall has slightly better isolation than this. Does anyone know a even better one than brick wall?

Aug 6, 2002 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 18
Cool!

I'd be interested to know if it affects sound quality at all...

Aug 7, 2002 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 18
Yeah, it was about $195. I have noticed no difference in sound quality. I use, with it (before it) a Brickwall Series Mode surge suppressor, and I love that....I swear it improved sound, and no noise gets into my a/v system.

Got it at : http://www.provantage.com/scripts/go.dll/-s/fflincon .

Fast fast delivery. Surge suppression is 1200 joules I think, and RFI elimination is 80db? Check the Tripplite website for details.
They have a .pdf file with all that stuff on it.

As far as surge suppression goes (adding an ISOBAR), I think that is a good idea. I don't have 100% faith in UPS's or any other device for surge suppression....just specifically made surge suppressors. Heck, a good one is $50.

I think the Brickwall/Tripplite combination is great. After the Tripplite i also have ANOTHER MOV surge suppressor(s) connected! I am surge paranoid after losing my first computer to a surge many years ago.

Aug 8, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 18
You DO know that the Brickwall shouldn't be plugged into any MOV-based surge supressors directly or indirectly, don't you? When there's a surge, the MOV will divert it to ground, which the Brickwall does not like.

- Wasif.

Aug 8, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

You DO know that the Brickwall shouldn't be plugged into any MOV-based surge supressors directly or indirectly, don't you?

Just make sure the Brickwall is the first unit in the chain.

John

Aug 9, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim
You DO know that the Brickwall shouldn't be plugged into any MOV-based surge supressors directly or indirectly, don't you? When there's a surge, the MOV will divert it to ground, which the Brickwall does not like.

- Wasif.

My brickwall is plugged directly into to the wall. I have MOV units AFTER it.

If a surge shunted by an MOV after the brickwall damages the brickwall, I don't care, the main thing is for my equipment to be protected.

Aug 10, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 18
Just got a Tripplite 1200W unit myself, primarily for protecting my computer/audio stuff at my dorm, and it works fine, only $120 (shipped). I can't really say much for the sound, but it sure as hell sounds better when you know your stuff is protected
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #11 of 18
Hey fredp, do the 600w and 1200w models also disconnect power from the equipment like the 2400w model does? I'm thinking about getting a 1200w model - maybe 2 of them if so.

Aug 11, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by jerikl
Hey fredp, do the 600w and 1200w models also disconnect power from the equipment like the 2400w model does? I'm thinking about getting a 1200w model - maybe 2 of them if so.

I don't know about the 600w or 1200w ones. I only know that about the LC2400 because I emailed Tripplite about it. They responded quickly. I would go to their website and browse, and then email them.

I do know the LC series is supposed to have the ISOBAR surge suppression system in them, and the cheaper models no. I was thinking of the 600w ones myself for two systems, but will save up for the LC models, probably a 1200watt one if they have it.

I had another brownout, and ran to my main system to turn it off, and guess what? It was already off!!!!! The LC2400 paid for itself within two weeks. It's not perfect, but I am happy with it.

I do know some other brands of line conditioners do not have a sine wave output, so read carefully before you buy.

The LC2400 ain't cheap. My other systems I want to protect, well, i can't justify $200 each for them. So I may go for a lower rated product for them.

Aug 14, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #13 of 18
The 600w units do NOT disconnect from power when power gets too bad. They seem to be a different beast.

I did order a LC1200 unit for my bedroom system. Could not really afford it, but I leave that system on alot when I fall asleep so it needed protection. Needs an updated surge suppressor anyway.

The only other device that I found interesting was the Panamax 5100 (I think that is it). It did not do voltage regulation, cost alot more, but did specify it does remove power to components during over or under voltage conditions.

Aug 14, 2002 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 18
So are you saying that the LC1200 units DO disconnect power from your components? The LC2400 seems a little bit overkill for me... but if the LC1200 does not do this, I may just have to go for the LC2400 in the future.

Aug 14, 2002 at 7:47 PM Post #15 of 18
My understanding about the Tripp Lite unit is that it uses multitap transformer as a stepped voltage regulator. Do you know the step size of the taps? I'd guess it's in the order of 5V to 10V. I'm worried that unless tap switching occures at the zero crossing of the AC waveform, you will have a voltage step during switching. It's undesirable if not harmful. You may even hear it. May be Tripp Lite gets around with this problem by having some sort of aggresive filtering after the regulator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back