New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Aug 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #1,786 of 2,354
Quote:
Wait say what? I've never had any hissing issues even with SE535, a super sensitive iem! I've tried the leckertons with a HD800, but I didn't notice any hissing...

I've personally not noticed any hiss with sensitive IEMs (TG!334, 1Plus2) either.
Quote:
My Leckerton was always dead silent driving my HE-500 (which they drove surprisingly well).  Haven't tried with the HD 800 yet, but will give it a go this weekend.  I have the 627 opamp.

With high impedance HP though (like the aforementioned HD800 or HE-500), I don't think they're too sensitive with hiss. Or is my understanding incorrect?

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #1,787 of 2,354
Yep correct, but Zowki said he heard noise with his HD 800.

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #1,788 of 2,354
Quote:
Yep correct, but Zowki said he heard noise with his HD 800.

My bad. Serves me right for commenting after a few drinks. I'll shut up now.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #1,791 of 2,354
I've been playing with the 4627 for a couple hours. I've gone back and forth between it and the 8610 over a dozen times with the ER4S without changing volume or fit. As it's said on Leckerton's site, the differences are small if any. I used a 15 second clip on 2 songs over and over again to make it easier to distinguish possible differences. I think there is a slight difference, but I'm not 100% sure because I didn't try to distinguish them blind. I knew which one was which.

If there is a difference, I'd say the 4627 has a bit more "sheen." Vocals sounded like the upper mids were accentuated, although I don't think this has to do with FR. The 4627 seemed to have slightly more detail, but at the cost of sounding more fatiguing than the 8610. Like I said, this was without touching the volume or taking the ER4S out of my ears. I was able to make the swaps in about 20 seconds, which is pretty long in audio memory time. 

I'm going to use the 4627 for a while to see if other music I'm familiar with sounds at all different. Again, the differences I described may not actually exist, and I wouldn't be surprised if I failed a blind test between these two op-amps. I will approach further impressions skeptically, and will update here. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #1,792 of 2,354
I was able to make the swaps in about 20 seconds, which is a pretty long in audio memory time. 

When I try to AB and I need to start swapping IEMs and changing volume, I feel like I'm in one of those army movie scenes where the soldier is trying to take apart his rifle and put it back together as fast as he can.

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #1,793 of 2,354
I've been playing with the 4627 for a couple hours. I've gone back and forth between it and the 8610 over a dozen times with the ER4S without changing volume or fit. As it's said on Leckerton's site, the differences are small if any. I used a 15 second clip on 2 songs over and over again to make it easier to distinguish possible differences. I think there is a slight difference, but I'm not 100% sure because I didn't try to distinguish them blind. I knew which one was which.

If there is a difference, I'd say the 4627 has a bit more "sheen." Vocals sounded like the upper mids were accentuated, although I don't think this has to do with FR. The 4627 seemed to have slightly more detail, but at the cost of sounding more fatiguing than the 8610. Like I said, this was without touching the volume or taking the ER4S out of my ears. I was able to make the swaps in about 20 seconds, which is pretty long in audio memory time. 

I'm going to use the 4627 for a while to see if other music I'm familiar with sounds at all different. Again, the differences I described may not actually exist, and I wouldn't be surprised if I failed a blind test between these two op-amps. I will approach further impressions skeptically, and will update here. 

huh, seems like the two opamps are more similar than different, when I switched from the 209 to the 4627 the differences were very clear and obvious.

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #1,794 of 2,354
huh, seems like the two opamps are more similar than alike, when I switched from the 209 to the 4627 the differences were very clear and obvious.

Now we're just splitting hairs. :D

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #1,796 of 2,354
Quote:

You are awesome, thanks for doing this and reporting.  I'm selling gear to buy my own UHA and really appreciate the guidance on op amp choice.

I'll be using the amp mostly with a mobile phone.  I know the 8610 is supposed to be less susceptible to interference from phones (compared to the 209), but do you know how the 4627 fares?

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #1,798 of 2,354
You are awesome, thanks for doing this and reporting.  I'm selling gear to buy my own UHA and really appreciate the guidance on op amp choice.

I'll be using the amp mostly with a mobile phone.  I know the 8610 is supposed to be less susceptible to interference from phones (compared to the 209), but do you know how 4627 fares?

I experienced no interference with the 4627.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back