New Leckerton uha-6s mkii has arrived....Not loud enough!?!?!
Dec 24, 2012 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ProblemChild

New Head-Fier
I decided to sell my FiiO E17 and upgrade to the Leckerton uha-6s mkii to power my DT770 Pro 250ohm cans. With the 18db gain on, my volume levels nearly approach, too loud at max volume. The lower end of the dial is to quiet. Is it my headphones just being too difficult to drive with a USB powered amp? I dont think there is any issue with the unit itself. I feel like the FiiO was a tad bit louder that the uha-6s mk.ii. 

Any ideas on what I can do? I thought I read somewhere about amp burn in. Also, would upgrading the USB cable help out at all..?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 25
Volume for mine a tad bit on the low end (when I'm using my DT-880s 250 ohm) as well but they do quite well and delivers a clean sound, imo. 

With any lower impedance headphone the leckerton sings beautifully.  Normally I could only keep my headphones in for about 2 hours before I needed a break from the music but now I don't mind listening for hours on end.

On improving, I doubt a cable change will improve the volume to a level you would desire and for burn in? I'm at around 100 hours now no burn in and the volume definitely hasn't changed enough for my ears to notice.

Try contacting Nick @ leckerton audio he's pretty awesome with taking care of helping with any and all issues but I think he said he would be on vacation till January 6th.

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 25
I'm actually in the portable amp section because of exactly this issue, I just don't feel it can drive my cans loud enough. I had the DT880s 250ohms and I'm wearing a pair of HD600s right now and there's just no headroom for more volume.

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:
I'm actually in the portable amp section because of exactly this issue, I just don't feel it can drive my cans loud enough. I had the DT880s 250ohms and I'm wearing a pair of HD600s right now and there's just no headroom for more volume.

LMAO, I had the amp on low gain 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 25
Im thinking of ordering the Shure SRH940's to see how the Leckerton does with a lower impedance. I would just like some more headroom as well. Even with the 18db Gain boost on, I max out my DT770 Pro's easily.

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:
I'm sure it will, post back and let me know

Wow..The Pioneer's impedance is 36 ohms and that makes all the difference in the world with the Leckerton. Now, with the gain off, I can crank the volume to max and they are quite loud. If I use the gain switch, I can only turn the volume up to 55% or so. The Leckerton really does shine with lower impedance cans. The DT770 Pros are just to hungry at 250 ohms. Im not too sure yet about the HDJ-2000's but the Leckerton definitely drives them well. Just gotta come to terms with the shrunken soundstage. That is the nice thing about the DT770's. The soundstage is huge. Maybe its time for another amp!

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #12 of 25
I have the same cans (DT770 Pro 250 ohm).  I'm actually trying to decide right now between the Fiio e17 and the UHA-6S.  Why did you sell the e17, and were you ever able to get the sound you wanted out of the dt770's before you switched cans?  Is there a better dac/amp to get?  The Leckerton is kind of at the top of the price range that I want to spend at the moment.  I was also considering getting the fiio e9 with the e17.  That combo still ends up being cheaper than the Leckerton.

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 25
Im thinking of ordering the Shure SRH940's to see how the Leckerton does with a lower impedance. I would just like some more headroom as well. Even with the 18db Gain boost on, I max out my DT770 Pro's easily.

I'm currently using that combo SRH-940 with UHA-6. Sounds wonderful. Drives it easily on low gain.

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #15 of 25
I have the same cans (DT770 Pro 250 ohm).  I'm actually trying to decide right now between the Fiio e17 and the UHA-6S.  Why did you sell the e17, and were you ever able to get the sound you wanted out of the dt770's before you switched cans?  Is there a better dac/amp to get?  The Leckerton is kind of at the top of the price range that I want to spend at the moment.  I was also considering getting the fiio e9 with the e17.  That combo still ends up being cheaper than the Leckerton.

I wasn't happy with the audio quality of the e17. I don't know what it was but I just felt like it wasnt right. I do understand how impedance works but I didn't realize how much power the DT770s would require. They sounded good with the Leckerton but there still wasn't alot of headroom so I decided to try a different set of cans rather than another amp. I may get a desktop amp in the future but I really want something that is battery powered for both laptop and iPhone use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back