Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Feb 24, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #1,621 of 10,018
Hi all

I am invited on the last weekend of April (Saturday 28 and Sunday 29 April) at the anniversary of the showroom of Pierre Paya (a reseller of high-end headphones) in France, in Nîmes, with a very impressive presentation of the best headphones in the world.

List of the audio equipment present at the showroom, here :

Headphones:

Kennerton Thror
Kennerton Odin (and perhaps the last version ; the Odin "third")
Focal Utopia
Focal Clear
Audio-Technica ADX-5000
Audeze LCD-MX4
Audeze LCD-4
Hifiman HE1000V2
Hifiman Susvara
Stax SR-009
Stax SR-007
JPS Abyss (not phy)
Hifiman Shangri-La
Hifiman Shangri-La jr
Sennheiser Orpheus 2 (HE1).

Amps:

Auris HA2 SE
Auris Headonia (2A3)
Audio-Technica HA5050H
XI Audio Formula S
Viva 2A3
Viva Egoista 845
Riviera AIC-10
Viva STX (for estat headphones) with the Stax SR-009 and SR-007mk2.

Mono blocks Auris Forte 150 (150W) + Preamp Auris Piano for directly power the Susvara. (crazy, but impressive, beware of the volume on the preamp!).

The same mono blocks Auris Forte 150 + preamp blocks with the iESL ifi audio box, to power the SR-009, the SR-007 and the Shangri-La estat headphones.

Shangri-La amp to power the Shangri-La headphone and also the SR-007 and SR-009.

Dacs :

Auris D1D
Auris D2D
Viva Numerico
Aqua Acoustic : La Scala.

Sources :

NUC on Linux with Daphile
Melco NIAH60 MKII Server
PC and Daphile.

CD library + access to Qobuz HR

Source (info) : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179474075.html#p179474075

I will bring a camera and I'll give you a small report of these equipments of dreams (headphones and amps), the best in the world in the matter, nothing else!
:)

Hello everyone,

During the visit that I would do at Pierre Paya's show room, at the end of April in Nîmes (France), I will focus my listening on a comparison of four headphones, on the material I know for the amp, ie the headphones Odin mk2 and Thror on the one hand, and Susvara and LCD4 headphones on the other hand, on the XI Audio Formula S amp able to drive them all (in low gain for the Odin and Thror and high gain for the Susvara and the LCD4), listening, if possible, to both modern and classical music.

The other listening that will interest me in priority, at Pierre, will be listening to Stax headphones SR-009 and 007 mk2 on the famous Viva STX (2A3) electrostatic headphone amp.

After, out of curiosity, I would listen (at least once in my life) the Focal Utopia and the Clear, not to mention the Hifiman HE-1000 this time in V2 version (NB: a priori some headphones "clear" to my hearing, which would not a priori my favor regarding the sensitivity of ear that is mine).

read more at : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179477001.html#p179477001

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #1,622 of 10,018
Put a deposit down for a second pair of Vali's-- thanks Layton Audio MTL! Will be getting a natural wood version (I have the varnished). Will have in a couple of weeks.

More people in North America need to hear these headphones. Anyone who might know the Grado HP1000-- the best headphones Grado ever made, and highly regarded--- need to check out the Kennerton Vali. They are sooo good....

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #1,623 of 10,018
Put a deposit down for a second pair of Vali's-- thanks Layton Audio MTL! Will be getting a natural wood version (I have the varnished). Will have in a couple of weeks.

More people in North America need to hear these headphones. Anyone who might know the Grado HP1000-- the best headphones Grado ever made, and highly regarded--- need to check out the Kennerton Vali. They are sooo good....

Congratulation!

Never one without two (Vali and/or Odin). :beyersmile:

Heureux Québécois avec Layton Audio Montréal ! :)

Feb 26, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #1,624 of 10,018

Headphones are waiting for you!

Grado HP1000 is one headphone I’ve yet to hear and it’s bugging me. I’ve had the pleasure to hear the Orpheus and HE1, AKG K1000; yet something about those Grados and that raw industrial look has been haunting me for years and I’m urging to listen.

Congratulation!

Never one without two (Vali and/or Odin). :beyersmile:

Heureux Québécois avec Layton Audio Montréal ! :)

Haha, Québécois ou pas, tout le monde mérite du bon son... et de bons écouteurs!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 26, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #1,625 of 10,018
A bit of a long shot, but is anyone willing to lend me their Vali pads or ECL-02 pads for about a day or two? Willing to pay ship to and from. I'm in the US.

I'm pad rolling for a headphone but don't wanna buy a new set since I'm not 100% sure that I'll like the pairing.

Feb 27, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #1,626 of 10,018
Apparently someone agrees with me regarding the Thror demoed at CanJam NYC 2018:

Thror had an interesting fit mechanism, with locking screws that let you adjust it to the precise angle, height and width of your ears – locking in a perfect fit. While I haven't heard their current flagship, Odin, recently enough to make a nuanced comparison, Thror shared many if it's same traits: huge dynamics, lots of fine detail and a slightly warm sound overall.

No word yet on a release date for this headphone, but it seemed to be a pretty promising flagship entry, as I tried it back-to-back-to-back with the HiFiMAN Susvara and Focal Utopia, and Thror held its own pretty well.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/CanJam_NYC_2018/CanJam_2018_page2.htm

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 27, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #1,627 of 10,018
Apparently someone agrees with me regarding the Thror demoed at CanJam NYC 2018:

10071945.jpg

Kennerton.jpg

Happy to learn that the Kennerton Thror (3.5 K USD) plays in the same league as the Utopia (4 K USD) and the Susvara (6 K USD) with a pleasant sound, inspired by the Odin, but in more precise, more airy, more fine, but also more straight and more just for the tonality, and more extended for the FR extremities (in particular sub bass) than the Odin.

And this with the excellent amp Cayin HA 300 (300 B tubes) which is also mentioned at this link below (with the Utopia and the Susvara) (in addition to the previous listening with the Thror, for the link of your post above).

Cayin.jpg

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/CanJam_NYC_2018/CanJam_2018_page3.htm

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #1,631 of 10,018
Can anyone here comment: are there any sonic differences between the Magister and the Magister Pro? And regarding their top end/treble performance, how does it compare with the Vali? And does anyone know if the Magister Pro will be available again? Or perhaps some new iteration? Thanks.

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #1,633 of 10,018
If anyone is interested, I have a pair of Massdrop Vali and Magister Lite for sale on eBay right now. Message me for details. In the US and will probably only ship here, in advance. If there's a problem with posting this let me know mods.

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,634 of 10,018
If anyone is interested, I have a pair of Massdrop Vali and Magister Lite for sale on eBay right now. Message me for details. In the US and will probably only ship here, in advance. If there's a problem with posting this let me know mods.

I know before it sounded like the Vali was not quite your thing. How would you compare/contrast the sound of the Vali and the Magister?

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #1,635 of 10,018
I know before it sounded like the Vali was not quite your thing. How would you compare/contrast the sound of the Vali and the Magister?
I definitely prefer the sound of the Vali to the Magister. The Magister, too me, is too closed in and cramped sounding. Which is a shame because i do think they're quite lovely to look at. And as I've mentioned before, I do like the sound of the Vali. I just can't get past the comfort issues I've had with them. I assume that not everyone would have those issues. I have a pair of LCD-2s and have read about them being too heavy for folks, but they fit me fine. I think it's the mechanics of the fit I really have a problem with. The having to adjust everything every time I put them on, which it seems I do have to do. But, sound wise, they're pretty great. I wouldn't call them neutral, but no real part of the sound (bass, treble) really stands out above any other, to me. Well balanced? I guess I'd go with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back