New K240 vs 1970's K240 ??
Mar 29, 2006 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

NiceCans

Headphoneus Supremus
I have an old pair of K240's (prior to letter designation) which have held up suprisingly well over the years but may soon need replacement.

I am curious as to the sound compared to the new models considering the impedence has been changed (mine are 600 ohm) and I imagine there have also been changes in the design or materials over the years.

What I expect will make the old ones different than the newer models are the 6 small 'diaphram' discs surrounding the main driver (said to act as "passive radiators" and filters . . . a 'revolutionary' design back 30 years ago). I do not know if this design is still featured, or how changes here may have affected the sound signature.

Does anyone have experience with both of these models?
Suggestions as to which letter designation to consider in the new lineup?

Mar 29, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 9
I have two models of K240's: K240 sextett and K240M. Both are old models from the 70's and 80's, respectively, i think (not sure though). It looks like you have the sextett model with six passive radiators (they look similar to those in K340 by the way). I never compare these K240s directly, but from my memory, the newer K240M sounds much better. The old K240 sextet is pretty restricted in frequency response and seems very hard to drive. K240M is one of my favorite phones and is very musical with very fluid midrange. They make all my other phones sound too tight and overdamped. They can be found for cheap on ebay. I remember seeing used ones for less then $50. Too bad, they are now discontinued. But you can still find new ones for 80-100$.

The current K240 lineups are K240S and K240DF. I've never listened to the DF model but I don't like K240S. K240S has an uncontrollable amount of suffocating bass, but many people here enjoy it. So you might also want to give it a try.

edited: just checked AKG website, K240DF is also now officially discontinued.

Mar 29, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by wang228
The current K240 lineups are K240S and K240DF.

Are you sure about that? As far as I know, the DF has only recently been descontinued just like the M. Still quite a few units in the stores out there though, I'd assume...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 30, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 9
You are correct wang228, the model I have is the Sextett. I was in college at the time and $75 was big $$ back then too. But they wow'ed me and I took them home, sold my old textbooks and bought used ones.

I will keep my eye open for a 240M and in the meanwhile I will seek out an audition of the 240M if I can locate one locally.

I don't imagine any of the closed models are comparable

Mar 30, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 9
I have the sextett model!!! I like it! But I do plan to buy some K240 M's off ebay

Mar 30, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965
I have the sextett model!!! I like it!

I like mine also, even more since I modded it
biggrin.gif

Looking forward to a nice new replacement.

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 9
i'm happy to see love for these classic phones
tongue.gif

wang

May 8, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
I like mine also, even more since I modded it
biggrin.gif

Looking forward to a nice new replacement.

hi,

how do you know they are sextetts? and what mods did you do?
i have some new $5 toys..........

May 9, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 9
another vote for the k240m over the s. 240 in general demand sympathetic amplification, so being slightly easier to drive isn't really such a big asset in the s-- you'll need a good amp anyway. (I think 240's sound great off of '70s stereo equipment, which makes sense.) Nor does the lower impedance make up for the bass bloat that the s has more than the m, and which almost calls for eq. To my ears (and I've said this in other threads), any 240 can hold its own against something on the level of an HD555 or SR-125, but only when it's on its game.

And hey, used 240m's are much cheaper than new s's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back