new jvc victor studio headphone the HA-MX10-B
Oct 2, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #46 of 125
  The effect of HM5 pads varies from one headphone to the next and how you fit them on.

I don't doubt it: I'm quite familiar with the broad spectrum of pad rolling.

How does it compare on the MX-10B? ... let's say, vs stock pads (or any other common pads)?

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #47 of 125
I've yet to touch an MX10, that's why I'm asking you, or at least, giving you the idea.  It could be good.  Or it could suck.

Oct 2, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #49 of 125
Using HM5 pads now generally the mids get alittle scooped out (lower db is a better way to put it) and sound stage grows. I like the sound of the stock pads but they gave me lots of discomfort in long sessions usually 2hrs or more so the trade off for more comfort was worth it to me but your result may very. Feel free and experiment! Ill be looking at getting the new MX100Z next month or sooner and ill compare again with stock pads as its been at least 6 months since i had stock pads on my MX10.

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #50 of 125
I had the same problem with stock pads. Discomfort was the biggest issue.
Now with the new pads I've got a bigger soundstage, WAY better comfort and seal, and a more balanced FR for outdoor use.

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #52 of 125
I found a set of pads that is perfect to me here. Sony MDR-Z1000 / Z700 aftermarket replacements.
 Since they taper up to the earside opening edge, and seem to have memory foam in them, I find them much more comfortable that stock pads.
 They are slightly taller than stock BUT my ears fit fully inside there somehow  and a better full seal is happening now.
= Basically I slide the rear of my ears into them and then the front of the pads rests perfectly on my head right in front of my ears,. Not anything sitting on top of the ears themselves.

For height and distance from the driver itself, my ears are placed about where they are at stock levels but seal and comfort are top notch now.
My previous concern before with the other various trial pads was the alteration of stock sound due to slight distancing from the driver.
These also might be getting a bit better low end due to definite more solid seal. Opening seems a touch smaller .

I used these. A perfect fit as far as installation
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172358993588?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=471183882934&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Very happy with this pad purchase and the results !

Jun 3, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #53 of 125
Using HM5 pads now generally the mids get alittle scooped out (lower db is a better way to put it) and sound stage grows. I like the sound of the stock pads but they gave me lots of discomfort in long sessions usually 2hrs or more so the trade off for more comfort was worth it to me but your result may very. Feel free and experiment! Ill be looking at getting the new MX100Z next month or sooner and ill compare again with stock pads as its been at least 6 months since i had stock pads on my MX10.

Great suggestion! The HA-MX10 and HM5 angled pleather ear pads rock. You have to angle the headband to the back of your head and move your ears forward to have the headband and earcup gimbals align closely...but what a treat. Dare I say it...sounds more natural than a Sony MDR-Z7 with this combo, and I am just listening with on-board sound right now (set to 24-bit/192k sound quality :ok_hand:).

Jun 26, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #54 of 125
Those stock earpads are too thin for me, so the headphone is quite uncomfortable. Decided to go with HM5 earpads (the thinner, initial version).
Huge improvement in fit and isolation, and to a large extent, sound, but then I have to attenuate the midtreble and upper midrange.

hamx10eq.jpg

Quite a nice headphone, and JVC actually bothered to add acoustic dampening inside of the cups just as all closed-back headphones need to shine, but I guess it is tuned to the shallow stock pads, so it sounds lacking with the HM5 pads.

Jun 26, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #55 of 125
You can grab the Z1000/700 pads like I put pics above for about the same price. Got another set in and another member should soon have impressions there also.
I don't find that lack you mentioned with them since they place the ears at exact same spot as stock from what I can tell. :deadhorse:
So are the original HM5 you are using causing some excess resonances/strays reflecting around in there I wonder? Like bouncing off the pad sidewalls?

Well irregardless, stock are no good whatsoever.

Love the fact they are filled with the "yellow biscuit" mineral wool like a lot of older headphones.
Sure would like to find a source for that exact stuff instead of harvesting it from random vintage items.

I do notice that they really like a lot of power too.
Thanks for bumping the thread and glad to see at least someone else likes them still.

* Been curious about some inner mods like replacing the rear damping pad.
They've got to be rather close to the 100-Z already, must be some way to approximate that on the cheap. Hopefully inner tweaking can get similar results to the larger center hole on the driver diffuser ( plus the other stuff they did )

If I get around to toying with that will post up as I'll soon have an MX100-Z to do direct comparisons, modded MX10B or not. ( both with those Sony pads)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #56 of 125
I stick polyester fiberfill in the other closed-back headphones in my collection.
I don't think that yellow dampening is all that great. I'm happy enough that they even bothered trying to to dampen the cups, I dislike how most manufacturers just don't give a hoot about it. ATH-M50x and DT660 are other examples where the manufacturer actually tried.

Resonances can be a problem, but it is also possible to end up with exacerbated treble, not so much from resonances, but from increasing the amount of air that drivers can move between one's ears and themselves. HM5 pads do that sometimes. At least, that's my observation, as resonances tend to sound like a reverb effect of sorts and EQ doesn't alleviate them, but fiberfill does.

Anyway, I'll get around to trying those other pads eventually, but these old HM5 pads are extras that I have on hand, especially as they were discontinued in favor of the thicker, memory foam version some time back. The v2 pads are too thick for the headphones that I try them on half of the time, so I have a pair of the thinner v1s just in case. I wish that these were still in production.

Jan 27, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #58 of 125

Users who are viewing this thread

Back