New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Oct 30, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #436 of 8,377
  I've grown to prefer the comfort of customs.  Universals can also be comfortable but it's very hit and miss depending on the design of the earphone, what tips it will fit etc...  The universal Roxanne will likely possess a larger than average housing and that could make it difficult to for those of us without huge (Mickey Mouse style) ears.  I'll hold off until a few of these are out in the wild before I seriously consider my options.

Why would the Universal Roxanne be larger than the Custom version?  If you've seen many customs, they're mostly empty space, in order to fill up a person's ear.

The Universal version is no longer constrained to the size of a person's ear and can be made as small as possible, containing just the drivers and components.  If the Universal Roxanne's housing is too large for someone, there's little chance the Custom will fit either.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #437 of 8,377
I think the opposite side of you, because of the ability to fit in a person's ear canal, the housing of a custom can be flexibly made smaller, but not in case of the universal version.
I've seen the pictures of universal Kaiser 10, and I think the housing may also be a little bigger than the custom version too.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #438 of 8,377
  I'm sure it will outclass it easily quite frankly. That's what my friend said when he compared it with his TG334! at the show. He was ticked off to say the least
size]

eek.gif

The TG!334 stays, to this day, the best earphones/headphones I've heard (against the HD 800, the K1000, a couple Final Audio Design IEMs ...).

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #439 of 8,377
First off there is no best and second I feel iem,s and headphones just sound different .

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #442 of 8,377
You can there is a few companies doing this. Unique melody is one.
I had my firearm to go 334 made custom by them
And I am sorry I did not mean to insult you it is all just our opinions

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #443 of 8,377
You can there is a few companies doing this. Unique melody is one.
I had my firearm to go 334 made custom by them
And I am sorry I did not mean to insult you it is all just our opinions

No offense but considering you say that you have a hearing defect most everyone here shouldnt give much weight to your comparisons unless they are in the same boat. Very useful to those few people , bad advice for everyone else.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #445 of 8,377
Today I was at the audiologist for my Impressions...
But he used foam instead of cotton and told me to move my jaw instead of a biteblock... Is that bad?
Should I take new one?

Biteblock is not required. But for perfect fit your jaw must be open as wide as you can while the impression cures in your ear.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #446 of 8,377
Just wondering, if I were to get a JH custom with the flying girl in milled aluminium instead of the standard colours they offer, it will be considered custom artwork right? And if so roughly how much more will they charge?

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #447 of 8,377

Biteblock is not required. But for perfect fit your jaw must be open as wide as you can while the impression cures in your ear.

That's completely wrong. A bite block is used to average the spread of closed to singing etc. Completely open would screw up the fit unless you like to walk around that way. When I did mine I simply did a relaxed jaw position (slightly spread) and found something smaller than a bite block to secure that position. Bite block sideways etc. I felt 1" was a bit much for my use since I have a significant overbite as well. Those with overbites should also be careful to keep the fore/aft position as normal. 

Moving things around while it sets if a great way to not get a seal. It will be comfy and useless.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #448 of 8,377
Both are a hit and miss.
Both have drawbacks and advantages exclusive to themselves.
4 week turn around is standard, UM is 13+.
Resale = uIEM > cIEM

This last point is the biggest factor in my own decision.

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #449 of 8,377

That depends on the individual and how/if your earn canals change shape with jaw movement.  A good audiologist will check this before progressing with your impressions.  Also, it's best to listen to the advice of the company that is building your CIEMs.  i.e. Custom Art prefers a small bite block, mouth only slightly open.  I think a closed or slightly open mouth is more common for silicone.

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #450 of 8,377
I'm really happy to see JH Audio offer universals for the Roxanne and will be interested to see if they offer universals on their older models as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back