New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
May 2, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #5,341 of 8,377
Folks, just pop in to say that there's always the red flag button in the lower left conner should you feel the need to use it...

And in addition to this, there's also a "Block Member" function available (hover your mouse over the head-fi ID)

The best way to respond to a troll is ignore him/her/it.

May 2, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #5,342 of 8,377
Can we take this argument/debate elsewhere now? We all know it's not going to go anywhere. People will always think what they want to think. Let's not be disrespectful about it though.

Now to get back...about tips on the universal Roxannes I have...
I have been experimenting with a lot of different tips lately and tried the Westone Star silicone tips with my SM64 and was amazed at the difference previously coming from Westone True foam tips. I liked them so much I forced the Westone silicone star tips on to the Roxannes and I am getting the best results compared to any other tips I have ever tried, foam or silicone. It took a while for me to get it on but it was worth it. I guess I'll be saying bye to foams for a while. Clarity, transparency, details have improved significantly while not sacrificing anything on comfort and fit although it doesn't go as deep as when I used the foam. There is just a tiny bit less on isolation but once the music is on, it sounds more...pure and vocals sound a lot more intimate so there's not much difference when the music is on. I have large ear canals so I used the largest size (orange) btw. The only downside is that I was able to recognize a bit of sharpness and sibilance ever so slightly around the 8KHz region.

Here's a quick pic.

May 2, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #5,344 of 8,377
Actually I'm curious how the you feel the Universal Roxannes compare with the SE846, could you shed some light please? Based on Vlad's impressions early on (against customs), he thought the SE846 was better at first, but after burning in the Roxannes, he said the Roxannes are now far better than the SE846. It would be great if you could share your views on the Universals, thanks!

May 2, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #5,345 of 8,377
the se846 thread also raved about the star tips. My only concern is isolation since I use these in a loud area but I think I may have to try them.

That was my concern as well. As this was the reason I have always favored foam over silicone. I have tried out about 6 different types of foam tips (and among those the Veritas foam tips was the best as I mentioned before. But these Westone star silicone tips are unlike other of the many silicone tips I have experimented with. You just have to find the right size for your ear canals and it's a good thing these star silicone tips offer 5 different length and sizes. Just a friendly recommendation.

Here is the assorted tips combo just in case anyone is interested.
They're meant for Westone, Earsonics, etc but if you force them on they still work:) and the silicone is very elastic so you won't have to worry about them tearing them or anything.
http://www.amazon.com/Westone-TRUE-FIT-STAR-Combo-Audiophile/dp/B00DD2BZRY

May 2, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #5,346 of 8,377
That's a long post but for now, basically the roxannes are better, slightly, in every way. They have better spatials and resolution and they sound like an over the ear headphone (btw some se846 owners like the closed in sound of that iem so for them this would be a downgrade.).

Their bass is as good as the se846 and I think even better because it's slightly more detailed. It might not go as deep but I'll have to listen carefully in that point and nothing noticeable as of yet (if you set the bass on the roxannes on high)..

The other differences is that the se846 with the white filter are brighter (these have that audeze warm signature) So that could be another reason go with the se846.

The se846 might be more fun sounding to some because their sound is more visceral and in your face where as the sounds on these is more distant, like an over the ear as noted above. Also the se846 might be a tad more v shaped which many find fun.

In summary if you purchased an se846 it might not be worth an upgrade but if someone were choosing between the two fur the first time I would have to recommend the roxannes.

P.s. I'm already getting used to the warm signature. Very nonfatiguing.

May 2, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #5,347 of 8,377
That's a long post but for now, basically the roxannes are better, slightly, in every way. They have better spatials and resolution and they sound like an over the ear headphone (btw some se846 owners like the closed in sound of that iem so for them this would be a downgrade.).

Their bass is as good as the se846 and I think even better because it's slightly more detailed. It might not go as deep but I'll have to listen carefully in that point and nothing noticeable as of yet (if you set the bass on the roxannes on high)..

The other differences is that the se846 with the white filter are brighter (these have that audeze warm signature) So that could be another reason go with the se846.

The se846 might be more fun sounding to some because their sound is more visceral and in your face where as the sounds on these is more distant, like an over the ear as noted above. Also the se846 might be a tad more v shaped which many find fun.

In summary if you purchased an se846 it might not be worth an upgrade but if someone were choosing between the two fur the first time I would have to recommend the roxannes.

I have also tried the 846 a couple times and I agree with everything ag8908 says.

May 2, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #5,348 of 8,377

Thanks, sounds good! A lot of us have found that the Roxannes benefit from a lot from burn in, and a lot of it too. Do update us later on if you feel if there are significant changes to the SQ.

May 2, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #5,350 of 8,377
sorry just stumbled across this one... you get dot point responses for this
>Didn't take half a year
>wasn't tricked
>not a girl
>problem with the impression not the device itself
>head fi is extremely informative, and i only rarely have to turn down the cool aid :wink:

Oh in glancing quickly I thought your moniker said hottie43

May 2, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #5,352 of 8,377
  Can we take this argument/debate elsewhere now? We all know it's not going to go anywhere. People will always think what they want to think. Let's not be disrespectful about it though.

Now to get back...about tips on the universal Roxannes I have...
I have been experimenting with a lot of different tips lately and tried the Westone Star silicone tips with my SM64 and was amazed at the difference previously coming from Westone True foam tips. I liked them so much I forced the Westone silicone star tips on to the Roxannes and I am getting the best results compared to any other tips I have ever tried, foam or silicone. It took a while for me to get it on but it was worth it. I guess I'll be saying bye to foams for a while. Clarity, transparency, details have improved significantly while not sacrificing anything on comfort and fit although it doesn't go as deep as when I used the foam. There is just a tiny bit less on isolation but once the music is on, it sounds more...pure and vocals sound a lot more intimate so there's not much difference when the music is on. I have large ear canals so I used the largest size (orange) btw. The only downside is that I was able to recognize a bit of sharpness and sibilance ever so slightly around the 8KHz region.

Here's a quick pic.

Great idea would like to try it on my Roxanne’s, but seriously how the hell did you get them on ? 

May 2, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #5,353 of 8,377
Jeez, I leave this thread for half a day and it turns into clown central. Get outta here you guys, the big top is that way.

A certain member is no longer around but I'd truly recommend for the audience here to just report (which some of you have done, thank you) and not further feed the troll. I'm not going to clean up the posts now. Maybe if I have time later I may.

May 2, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #5,354 of 8,377

A certain member is no longer around but I'd truly recommend for the audience here to just report (which some of you have done, thank you) and not further feed the troll. I'm not going to clean up the posts now. Maybe if I have time later I may.

Thank you. Just when I was trying to get things back on track...poor guy.

Great idea would like to try it on my Roxanne’s, but seriously how the hell did you get them on ? 

Sore hands and a lot of patience lol. Like I said, just kept trying to force it in and eventually it worked. I don't think I'll ever take them off. It took way too much effort to put them on. I'm sure I can think of an easier way to put them on but until then...

May 2, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #5,355 of 8,377
  Well, one CLEAR AND UNDISPUTED ADVANTAGE that the customs have over universals is this:  Sound leakage.  At least I can listen to all my favorite and cheesiest/sissiest tracks at full blast while sitting next to hot chicks WITHOUT ME BEING RIDICULED/THEM THINKING THAT IM CREEPY.

I rest my case.

Time to pull the iem's from your ears and actually start talking to the hot chicks!  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back