New JVC Wood - HA-SW01 and HA-SW02
Dec 27, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #91 of 171
And my expectations were accurate! Just got the SW01 in the mail today and have been listening for 5 hours. These cans are fantastic. I have listened to several genres including Reggaeton, Rock, Metal, Trance, Vocal Trance, Psy-Trance, Hip-Hop and Rap. The SW01 excels in all of these genres. *Listening to either FLAC files or 1080p youtube videos on the LG V10 in aux mode. Vocals sound great bith male and female, I tried all my hard-hitter tracks with the deepest of bass, including other tracks that have the tiniest microdetails. The JVC SW01 can do it all. Also, its Soundstage is very nice indeed.

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #92 of 171
hey HawaiiBadBoy this is the thread you started, man i gotta say the SW01 belongs right next to or just below the SZ2000 in bass cannon worthiness. SW01 bass is more defined and refined than SZ2000's. Kind of like a reference version of SZ2000 lol. I was just bopping my head non-stop to some Psy-Trance, track title:
Protonica - Horizon
---SW01 has this surreal type of deep bass after just a few hours of burn in, just wow!

The JVC SW01 is definitely the most fun (with the addition of being precise in details and maybe timbre) can i've heard to date. It knocked my socks off! JVC's best wood yet.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #93 of 171
btw I believe the current price is justifiable, given that these SW01 headphones can sound just as good as some other $1000+ headphones which i've needed to pair with my iDSD Micro and iCan Micro combo. But in this case, those powerful amps are not required. It sounds stunning straight out of the LG V10's headphone jack. (in Aux mode at full volume)

I will try pairing with iDSD Micro/iCAN Micro combo to see how the SW01 scales.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #94 of 171
Love mine SW01 - they're that i needed in terms of Fun sound and they're finishing (for now) my HD650's (neutral; open and reference sound), HE400i (soundstage, faster sound than SW01 and HD650s and overall great value) collection..
I can tell though that i'm a bit basshead, and these are great in terms of bass, but more - these offer a unique sound signature, a little darkish, tonally perfect, and great engaging sound.

Feb 19, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #95 of 171
The best pairing so far is with Monster Audio HiFi ET MA9, man, it's like a juicy amazing steak with a glass of vintage wine.. Superb lively sound!

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #97 of 171
These cans were on my short list awhile back (huge JVC fan) but i got some wood cans atm M1060 (screwing Magical) and it seem to change alot after burn in. Something i feel is a common thing with JVC in general so i may give these a shot this year they are sexy as hell. Anyone in the north east with a pair i can Audition?

May 28, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #98 of 171
How do the Wood 1s and 2s compare to each other?

May 29, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #99 of 171
I just tried both SW 01 and SS01 last weekend. And to be honest, I think SS01 is better except the size. SS01 is easier to drive and the sound is more clear (than MDR 1A and MSR7 as well) with a decent separation. On the other hand I am not sure if it is intent that SW01 bass is so boomy and slow.

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #100 of 171
As a further addition to my previous question, how do both compare with the V-Moda M-100?

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #101 of 171
NEW ( NON-JAPAN ??? )RELEASE NAMING

Just noticed something that may cause utter confusion when comparing these SW01 / SW02 Woodies and SS01 / SS02 to the new release Model numbers.

I ran across their newly designated HA-SHR01 and HA-SHR02

I could only find these designations outside of Japan so i figured this is now their names for the rest of the world.
****Either that or they have streamlined the lineup and are phasing out the remaining 2 everywhere *****
HOWEVER from what I can tell , they have only chosen to release 2 out of the 4 models with the new numbers.
And you'd think both the 2 top ones right? Well ....WRONG.
I just figured out.

So NEW RELEASE MODELS ARE

^ Notice the diagram and weight correspond directly to the HA-SW02 model since there is only the "wood plate" and "wood absorber panel " and not the additional 2 strips and rear wood disc per side that the HA-SW01 has.
Maybe they figured this was too much overall for sonic treatment?
Was rather confusing to figure that out since most of it involved translating off French and euro site blurbs.
I did compare the specs and weight of the HA-SHR02 to the old HA-SS01 and it is the same, even down to the gold trim and triple magnets.

Don't know why they bothered doing this, I have seen this a lot on older vintage JVC/Victor gems also, some identical but slightly different model #s, some similar shells but totally different insides, some total one offs.

Enjoy the confusion.

to make it even worse they effed the descriptors ( HA-SHR02 ) on the JVC EU site about the triple magnets, they say double magnets in the specs, but the image and breakdown is that of the SS01 ( 02 is the one with only the double magnets , and the entire rest of the page says triple also.
= plus the described weight is that of the SS01 ( 20 grams heavier @245Gr )

EDIT:

Now here's yet another twist .
I have so far found 2 sites in a row that state the diaphragm is made of CHERRY.
However exact specs say that it is still BIRCH.
That's got to be a Google translation error from French to English
here's one place for example, note initial description states Cherry but actual is BIRCH.
https://translate.google.ca/transla...ww.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00227212.html&prev=search

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #102 of 171
Feb 15, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #103 of 171
Anybody have any recent impressions or updated thoughts on either ( or ANY= SS series even ) of these?

Jan 31, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #105 of 171
83383547_10156999249381404_5913486353827364864_o.jpg
Headband change to leather and the new earcup is much more comfy !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back