New iRiver AK70
Jan 3, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #871 of 1,293
I don't find ithe AK70 veiled in the mids at all. I find a great deal of clarity in the mids; I'm really enjoying it as both a DAP & USB DAC.

Yep, AK Jr isn't veiled either. I'm already using rather vibrant IEM with the AK300 and honestly, you turn up the volume and I strain to hear it's price in detail, like there's an excessive amount of smoothness. It even makes your ears a bit sore. At lower volumes it's quite a good unit, I understand it, but it's a bit of a pig at higher levels. I just thought that was life until I heard the AK JR today, now I'm really confused.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #872 of 1,293
Yep, AK Jr isn't veiled either. I'm already using rather vibrant IEM with the AK300 and honestly, you turn up the volume and I strain to hear it's price in detail, like there's an excessive amount of smoothness. It even makes your ears a bit sore. At lower volumes it's quite a good unit, I understand it, but it's a bit of a pig at higher levels. I just thought that was life until I heard the AK JR today, now I'm really confused.

New toy syndrome I would say.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #873 of 1,293
New toy syndrome I would say.

U wot mate.

I'll leave it a few days if the opinion remains we might say goodbye to my AK300, try the AK70, I've been thinking it for a while now. I really love it's looks, UI, build quality but...

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #874 of 1,293
U wot mate.

I'll leave it a few days if the opinion remains we might say goodbye to my AK300, try the AK70, I've been thinking it for a while now. I really love it's looks, UI, build quality but...

Sure, make someone else happy with it. 
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #875 of 1,293
Do you guys find the AK70 veiled in the mids at all? One issue I'm having with my AK300 is its quite warm, very warm around the mid-range which makes it sound veiled, dull, strained around the mids. I had an AK JR arrive today with my AK300 expectations in mind, personally I prefer the AK JR, I know it sounds crazy but that dullness around the AK300 mids drives me a bit nuts and opposite my preferences. Thinking of selling it and getting an AK70 instead.

I think the whole AK3XX series was marketed towards guys in their 50s or 60s that love their "analogue", velvety sound (besides, they don't hear much above 12-13KHz anyway). Turns out, with the right implementation the VERITA DACs (AKM 4490--) are ideal for that. Now, the AK Jr and AK70 are an attempt from AK to appeal to a much younger generation with disposable income - the "velvety sound" of their uncles wouldn't cut it in that case.  People like you, dear sir, that have a great experience with tons of gear - they sit outside such generational categorisations, irrelevant of their actual age may find the real fidelity on some unexpected places.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #876 of 1,293
I think the whole AK3XX series was marketed towards guys in their 50s or 60s that love their "analogue", velvety sound (besides, they don't hear much above 12-13KHz anyway). Turns out, with the right implementation the VERITA DACs (AKM 4490--) are ideal for that. Now, the AK Jr and AK70 are an attempt from AK to appeal to a much younger generation with disposable income - the "velvety sound" of their uncles wouldn't cut it in that case.  People like you, dear sir, that have a great experience with tons of gear - they sit outside such generational categorisations, irrelevant of their actual age may find the real fidelity on some unexpected places.

Could be, I've always leaned for brighter energetic tonality, I understand warmth / analogue quality's, AK JR has a hint of this. Either my AK300 is a bit of a lemon compared to other units (I genuinely consider this) or it just takes those warmer tones too far. It's strange, when at low idling volumes I hear it's layering, separation, slightly rich sounding clarity, It's like when I lift its volume the sound labours, strains, you just end up with a very loud track pounding your ears, detail levels my DX90 can surpass.

I can demo another AK300 close, even swap it over as it has warranty, but after my AK Jr wedding I'm more keen to demo AK70.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #877 of 1,293
Either my AK300 is a bit of a lemon compared to other units

That's always a possibility.  Do try the AK70 though, I really think it sounds great. I'm enjoying it together with my IT03 regardless of its higher output impedance (~ 2‎Ω). The balanced output is half that though, I just got a balanced cable to try it.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #878 of 1,293
  I think the whole AK3XX series was marketed towards guys in their 50s or 60s that love their "analogue", velvety sound (besides, they don't hear much above 12-13KHz anyway). Turns out, with the right implementation the VERITA DACs (AKM 4490--) are ideal for that. 

I consider myself a member of this group, even though I´m 45 years old. I grew up listening to "the good old analogue high end stuff", and when I started looking for a Dap, it was the AK300 with the AK380 amp that satisfied all I´ve ever wished for from a Digital Audio Player. People always complain about the price of AK gear, but let me tell you, you´d have to pay a lot more if you´d want to have this kind of SQ from a turntable or cd player.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #879 of 1,293
  I consider myself a member of this group, even though I´m 45 years old. I grew up listening to "the good old analogue high end stuff", and when I started looking for a Dap, it was the AK300 with the AK380 amp that satisfied all I´ve ever wished for from a Digital Audio Player. People always complain about the price of AK gear, but let me tell you, you´d have to pay a lot more if you´d want to have this kind of SQ from a turntable or cd player.

That's exactly what I was saying - AK know their game well. Also, I meant no disrespect to anyone - I heard that stance about what they prefer and why from lots of people and it all makes sense.

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #881 of 1,293
Anyone had an issue where the unit goes into a 'deep sleep/feeezes whilst not in use?

It takes several long presses of the power button to wake it and if it happens during charging the charging stops.

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #882 of 1,293
Anyone had an issue where the unit goes into a 'deep sleep/feeezes whilst not in use?

It takes several long presses of the power button to wake it and if it happens during charging the charging stops.

When i reviewed the AK70 I too faced this a few times 

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #883 of 1,293
When i reviewed the AK70 I too faced this a few times 

Thanks, I've requested a replacement from Amazon; see how I get on with that.

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #885 of 1,293
It might very well be perfectly normal..it just didn't seem like any kind of intuitive function 

Mmm, you might be right. Last night I turned it off & put it on to charge. When I came to switch it on this morning it had frozen & took a bit of effort to wake and the battery was only 60% charged. I can't see what use case that satisfies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back