New iRiver AK70
Jul 24, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #332 of 1,293
Fair dues.. and I guess with good reason aswell, alot of daps that are released nowadays (according to reviews) have a sound quality that is the same or surpasses the mojo.. But then again the mojo was mainly targeting mobile phone and laptop users that was after an upgraded sound. The dedicated dap market moves fast haha..

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #333 of 1,293
last week i had  a chance to test AK70, i was surprise with the sound output and i feel it somewhere near to Chord Mojo sound quality output. But i did not compare A to B with my source so it just my image.

My next move is get Mojo but after tested AK70, i might reconsider it :p

Jul 25, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #336 of 1,293
So as I'm going to leave my LCD 2.2 + Hugo + Liquid Carbon at home and have recently gotten myself a 64Audio A6 I'm in the market for a new DAP. 

Currently using the Ibasso DX90 and I'm look for a DAP that can offer full DSD output to my Hugo if needed. 

I tried the DPX1 and AK70 a few mins ago. AK70 was good via balance out but when I used the USB to connect to my Hugo and tried DSD playback was full of stutters and other file types get pops and ticks...that was a deal breaker. 

Has the new firmware fixed the problem? or was it just a wrong setting I did on the AK70? The DPX1 worked flawlessly on the Hugo but usb output was limited to 192/24 I believe when I tried some DSD files. 

I was really hoping the AK70 be my 1st AK player as feedback on the DPX1's balance ports made me iffy to use it (due to reports of it falling off)

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #337 of 1,293

I just got it today. The batterry drains quite fast and it gets warm when playing music. About 15 mins of playing music with volume at 100/150, battery dropped about 9%-10%. For my hearing i think it's less details than my old dp-x1.

I tend to listen at 35 :D

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #338 of 1,293

I tried the DPX1 and AK70 a few mins ago. AK70 was good via balance out but when I used the USB to connect to my Hugo and tried DSD playback was full of stutters and other file types get pops and ticks...that was a deal breaker. 

Has the new firmware fixed the problem? or was it just a wrong setting I did on the AK70? The DPX1 worked flawlessly on the Hugo but usb output was limited to 192/24 I believe when I tried some DSD files. 

I was really hoping the AK70 be my 1st AK player as feedback on the DPX1's balance ports made me iffy to use it (due to reports of it falling off)

It's not the DAPs fault, it's the HUGO I'm afraid. It can't receive DSD unless you put it in the proper container. If I remember well

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #339 of 1,293

I just got it today. The batterry drains quite fast and it gets warm when playing music. About 15 mins of playing music with volume at 100/150, battery dropped about 9%-10%. For my hearing i think it's less details than my old dp-x1.

The dac of AK70 is the same as AK100ii , so it is about 2 year before the ESS Sabre dac.  I think that explains the difference.

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #343 of 1,293
To all AK70 owners, I would like to ask for your observation for the AK70 battery charging. I got a demo loan for review purpose. When measuring the battery charging, I was quite surprise that even after battery fully charged, after around 6 hours, AK70 still drawing around 200 mA of current, and it makes the player slightly warmer than room temperature. I wait for like 9 hours, still drawing the same 200 mA. Btw, player is turned off before charging, and I use Aukey smart charger, capable to deliver more than 2A per port.

Do you observe that even when the player is turned off and battery fully charged, the player stays warm when connected to charger?
Thanks!

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #344 of 1,293
To all AK70 owners, I would like to ask for your observation for the AK70 battery charging. I got a demo loan for review purpose. When measuring the battery charging, I was quite surprise that even after battery fully charged, after around 6 hours, AK70 still drawing around 200 mA of current, and it makes the player slightly warmer than room temperature. I wait for like 9 hours, still drawing the same 200 mA. Btw, player is turned off before charging, and I use Aukey smart charger, capable to deliver more than 2A per port.

Do you observe that even when the player is turned off and battery fully charged, the player stays warm when connected to charger?
Thanks!

iRiver doesn't recommend using power chargers with a fast charging capability. Above 2A can damage the device I heard.

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #345 of 1,293
iRiver doesn't recommend using power chargers with a fast charging capability. Above 2A can damage the device I heard.

Current draw is dictate by the device, not by the charger. So it is a pure myth if you use higher power charger it will damage the device. Fast charging is also dictate by the device, not the charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back