New iRiver AK70
Jul 8, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #226 of 1,293
  Congrats to those who have just gotten their AK70 and thanks for the sharing. 

Anyone compare this yet to AK300? Just DAP alone without any amp. Thanks in advance.

AK300 has thicker midrange, more lush to me. AK300 is for those who value midrange.

Jul 8, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #228 of 1,293

Thanks for your input. It helps in my deciding factors as I'm thinking between AK300 or AK70. For the music that I enjoy, mids are critical. 

Thanks once again!

But please dont underestimate the AK70 sound. I think its major plus is its form. Pairing it with the FAD or T8iE can bring about great result for its size.

I shouldnt get too carried away, I have a lot of listening to do but the AK connect feature and UI already has made me ponder on the next AK flagship despite on on my negative view on AK after sale service. 

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #229 of 1,293
^ Yes the form is really really good, more DAPs needs to be this kind of size while not compromising much on the sound quality. Just a pair of nice IEM driven in balanced mode by the AK70 is a very good on-the-go piece of kit. 

However this thing desperately needs a case, the corners are pretty sharp.

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #230 of 1,293
  AK300 has thicker midrange, more lush to me. AK300 is for those who value midrange.

Thanks for your input. It helps in my deciding factors as I'm thinking between AK300 or AK70. For the music that I enjoy, mids are critical. 

Thanks once again!

The AK300 is, in fact, pretty neutral (with a touch of treble roll). Green line is more indicative of its sound signature, white is a very low impedance load. Green (minus the spike at around 80Hz - due to an impedance spike from the Grados) is about exactly what it looks like unloaded. The "fuller mids" might be due to the slight treble roll, in fact. 

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #231 of 1,293
Played around with the AK70, 300 and 320 today.

I really prefer the AK70 over the 300, much more musical and with better focus in the mids and bass, although the 300 did have a better sense of airiness and a larger soundstage. Wont comment too confidently on the highs as I can't remember (d'oh), but I recall the 70 being brighter.

The 320 is still a level above both of the above, though.

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #232 of 1,293
Amp3 in the uk has stock now for £499.00  Amazon will get it in about 3 weeks or so if not sooner.

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #233 of 1,293
has anyone done a battery life test yet ?

Jul 8, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #234 of 1,293
Played around with the AK70, 300 and 320 today.

I really prefer the AK70 over the 300, much more musical and with better focus in the mids and bass, although the 300 did have a better sense of airiness and a larger soundstage. Wont comment too confidently on the highs as I can't remember (d'oh), but I recall the 70 being brighter.

The 320 is still a level above both of the above, though.

But please dont underestimate the AK70 sound. I think its major plus is its form. Pairing it with the FAD or T8iE can bring about great result for its size.

I shouldnt get too carried away, I have a lot of listening to do but the AK connect feature and UI already has made me ponder on the next AK flagship despite on on my negative view on AK after sale service. 

The AK300 is, in fact, pretty neutral (with a touch of treble roll). Green line is more indicative of its sound signature, white is a very low impedance load. Green (minus the spike at around 80Hz - due to an impedance spike from the Grados) is about exactly what it looks like unloaded. The "fuller mids" might be due to the slight treble roll, in fact. 

Thank you for sharing your info guys. I appreciate it. Some interesting input too. 

I will need to hear both before breaking bank. To be honest up front, I am not keen on the color for AK70, and a bit disappointed with AK300 on spec output power. Nevertheless, I will give a try on both.

Happy listening. Cheers!

Jul 9, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #236 of 1,293
Any lag on the interface btw?  That was a major deal breaker for me on the jr.  I'd like to move away from ipods for a bit, but a rockboxed one with a decent battery life just works....

Jul 9, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #237 of 1,293
  Any lag on the interface btw?  That was a major deal breaker for me on the jr.  I'd like to move away from ipods for a bit, but a rockboxed one with a decent battery life just works....

No lag on the AK70. I also found the Jr UI to lag and that was what turned me off from buying one too.

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #238 of 1,293
Now that I have more time with Ak70 I can provide some early impression. To me AK70 is a solid low entry DAP with features appealing for those who like to have of a 'higher end' DAP without really wanting to spend that kind of cash.
Locally AK70 is priced 750 USD, to me sonically isn't worth that price. If one is aiming for sound alone options like dpx1/opus 1 dap provides a far better sound, a sound that to my ears best the even higher price AK300, which is position as the lowest of the AK3xx family. To me the appeal of AK70 also isn't for its USB out but what is capable of in its weight and size. The USB out of AK70 is far too noisy to be honest and early impression is not good when paired with HUGO. Despite the early false report of AK, which has been corrected now, AK70 lacks optical out so guys bare that in mind AK70 only offers USB out.
Testing the USB out of AK70 with DP-X1 ignoring the stability issue the sound to my ears is a lot less dynamic. DP-X1 offers a far more detail and dynamic both from headphone out and USB Out.

So what is the appeal of the AK70? It is the lightest portable DAP of its kind which offers a high end features, albeit not all useful, but it is truly pocketable. The appeal of AK70 is in its portability. Paired with the right earphone AK70 can offer hours of great listening session. I can see myself take the Ak70 out far more than Lotoo, dpx1 and my other dozen DAP. AK connect for me is enough to keep this dap. Not always I like to connect my player to my laptop just so I can add an album, it feels good that I can do that on the fly using AK connect and my local NAS.

So in summary if you are buying the AK70 to pair this with Mojo/HUGO or any other DAC/AMP and expect a high quality USB out I urge you to compare the AK70 USB out side by side with something else. Only than the difference is obvious. Without any comparison, which to me is a good sign, AK70 deservedly produce an allure of high quality sound and it has the right to do so.
Don’t expect a giant killer however for its size it provide great raw power. Can Vinnie perhaps release its full potentials? Time will tell perhaps.
As is AK70 is the best ultra portable with a high equality lower tie player which perhaps price higher than what its sound offers. It would have been great to AK70 to would have been a direct replacement of AKJr with the same price, as to be honest AKJr feels a lot more sturdy than AK70 but AKJr is way too laggy for me and it still lacks the feature that AK70 have.

I am yet to try the apex bluetooth, tomorrow I will try to pair it with my local wifi speakers and report back. 

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #239 of 1,293
Something I always ask at this point, does gapless work properly?  Also is navigation by folder possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back