New iRiver AK70
Sep 3, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #1,171 of 1,293
Good evening, I have been considering getting an Ak 70 to use as a source for my headphone amp. Currently using pc coax output from Asus Essence 2, to Schiit Gungnir Multi-bit dac, to Feliks Audio Euforia headphone amp to Sennheiser 800. What I would like to do is not have to fire up the pc as it is connected to main plasma tv, and use the ak 70 as source into current dac and amp. Is there a way to accomplish this without using the ak70's dac and amp? And if so what would the cabling be. Thank you for your input.

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #1,172 of 1,293
Good evening, I have been considering getting an Ak 70 to use as a source for my headphone amp. Currently using pc coax output from Asus Essence 2, to Schiit Gungnir Multi-bit dac, to Feliks Audio Euforia headphone amp to Sennheiser 800. What I would like to do is not have to fire up the pc as it is connected to main plasma tv, and use the ak 70 as source into current dac and amp. Is there a way to accomplish this without using the ak70's dac and amp? And if so what would the cabling be. Thank you for your input.
You can use the AK70 as transport through usb (OTG cable). Worked flawless with my micro iDSD BL. I only changed transport because the AK70 has only 1 micro sd slot, something to consider I think :.)

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #1,173 of 1,293
Thank you for the information that is about what I had gathered previous to this. The transport received pretty good reviews I like the looks of it and astell & Kern have a very good reputation I thought this would be a simpler way to get to my music each evening instead of having to turn on the the PC in the plasma TV and everything else just to listen to the music I think you very much and I'll give this much consideration you have a great day thank you

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #1,174 of 1,293
Thank you for the information that is about what I had gathered previous to this. The transport received pretty good reviews I like the looks of it and astell & Kern have a very good reputation I thought this would be a simpler way to get to my music each evening instead of having to turn on the the PC in the plasma TV and everything else just to listen to the music I think you very much and I'll give this much consideration you have a great day thank you
NP :.)
With a 400GB micro sd card one slot might not even be a problem and DoP is always nice to have.

Sep 4, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #1,175 of 1,293
Perform for me at least 400 GB would be more than enough space for the files that I use the most. I find it typically most of that storage files go on played over period of time. You get new music you play it more in the old musics it's because you've got new music to listen to. Your favorite still get played a lot but there's a lot that I have that no longer yet used. So culling the herd a little bit would not be a problem

Sep 7, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #1,176 of 1,293
Curious on what you all think of the AK70 vs Phone/Laptop + Mojo, which would have better sound quality? Exclusively through IEMs

Sep 7, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #1,177 of 1,293
I personally prefer the Mojo's sound over the AK70. The AK is warmer but the Mojo's sound is fast, crisp and detailed. When I go back to the AK70, the presentation of the music feels kind of sluggish...
I found the Mojo to have a bit more hiss than the AK70 though.

Sep 7, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #1,178 of 1,293
I personally prefer the Mojo's sound over the AK70. The AK is warmer but the Mojo's sound is fast, crisp and detailed. When I go back to the AK70, the presentation of the music feels kind of sluggish...
I found the Mojo to have a bit more hiss than the AK70 though.

How would you compare the soundstage on the two?

Sep 7, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #1,179 of 1,293
I figured out a way to stream Spotify to the AK70 over DLNA from an Android device.

1. Enable AK connect
  2. Install an app called Airspot
  3. Make sure the AK70 and your Android device are on the same network. I'm actually using my phone as a hotspot for the AK70 and the following still works.
  4. Open the Airspot app. You should see your AK70 and any other DLNA devices on the network. Edit: based on input from the creator, the first time you try this, it's better to use a regular WiFi. Something about the first time it's being broadcast as a Spotify connect device...
  5. Open your Spotify app and under the option to see devices you can use Spotify Connect with you should see the AK70! You can even control the volume from within Spotify!
That Airspot app basically broadcasts itself as a Spotify connect device and then sends the decoded PCM data over DLNA to the AK70. Wow!

Photo proof below
exLoteO.png

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #1,180 of 1,293
How would you compare the soundstage on the two?

For me the Mojo is simply better in almost every way. Soundstage is wider, music just feels more expansive, more clear, more detailed. I say "almost" every way because yes, the Mojo can feel very analytical whereas the AK70 is maybe more musical because of its warmish sound.
I usually have the Mojo fed by the AK70's USB out when on the go and I love it. I sometimes use the AK70 by itself when I need something more portable. (the AK70 + Mojo stack is quite thick...)

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #1,181 of 1,293
Guys, today has been a bad day for my 1 month old AK70.

The 3.5 mm headphone output is no longer working. I have to move the plug inside a bit before I can hear any sound on the left channel (only). Thankfully, the balanced output works.

I then tried to connect my AK70 to my Mojo, and it just isn't working. I turn on the USB function in the menu settings, connect the Mojo.. but nothing's happening. The Mojo recognises that a device has been plugged in, but there is no response on the AK70. This function works fine on my AK380, so I don't know what's going on with the AK70.

This is a unit purchased in Tokyo (E-Earphone) in late July. It's only been a month, and it has been very lightly used. This is quite unacceptable for an Astell & Kern product, to be honest.

@JasonNYC Hi Jason, any ideas why the USB output isn't working? Thanks.

Edit: I'm trying it with my CDM as well, and nope, no luck. Again, the CDM recognises that something is plugged in as a USB source, but when I hit "Play" on the AK70, there isn't any output to the CDM (or to the Mojo). I would appreciate any help, since this product was purchased out of Tokyo, and I don't know how I can get this repaired here in Singapore.

:frowning2:

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #1,182 of 1,293
Guys, today has been a bad day for my 1 month old AK70.

The 3.5 mm headphone output is no longer working. I have to move the plug inside a bit before I can hear any sound on the left channel (only). Thankfully, the balanced output works.

I then tried to connect my AK70 to my Mojo, and it just isn't working. I turn on the USB function in the menu settings, connect the Mojo.. but nothing's happening. The Mojo recognises that a device has been plugged in, but there is no response on the AK70. This function works fine on my AK380, so I don't know what's going on with the AK70.

This is a unit purchased in Tokyo (E-Earphone) in late July. It's only been a month, and it has been very lightly used. This is quite unacceptable for an Astell & Kern product, to be honest.

@JasonNYC Hi Jason, any ideas why the USB output isn't working? Thanks.

Edit: I'm trying it with my CDM as well, and nope, no luck. Again, the CDM recognises that something is plugged in as a USB source, but when I hit "Play" on the AK70, there isn't any output to the CDM (or to the Mojo). I would appreciate any help, since this product was purchased out of Tokyo, and I don't know how I can get this repaired here in Singapore.

:frowning2:
@Malevolent

Sorry you are having issues. I am sure you tried this particular order, but we recommend connecting the Mojo first, then swipe down and select the USB Audio icon (third icon on third row, looks like a USB flash drive).

If that doesn't work, try a soft reset. Press and hold the power button down for about 20 seconds. Release the power button and the AK70 should shut down. Press the power button again and release to restart.

I will send you a separate PM about support in Singapore.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 7, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #1,183 of 1,293
@Malevolent

Sorry you are having issues. I am sure you tried this particular order, but we recommend connecting the Mojo first, then swipe down and select the USB Audio icon (third icon on third row, looks like a USB flash drive).

If that doesn't work, try a soft reset. Press and hold the power button down for about 20 seconds. Release the power button and the AK70 should shut down. Press the power button again and release to restart.

I will send you a separate PM about support in Singapore.
Hi Jason, thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

Yes, I've tried connecting the Mojo in that particular order, but still, nothing happens. I tried doing a soft reset, too.

If it helps in any way, this is what happens - After connecting the Mojo and the AK70 together, I turn on the "USB Audio" function from the menu settings. The power button on the Mojo flashes and cycles through a few colors, indicating that it recognises the USB device, but then it goes dark. Normally, with my AK380, the light on the power button stays on.

Thanks again, Jason.

Edit: I'm on the latest firmware (1.30).

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #1,185 of 1,293
Hi Jason, thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

Yes, I've tried connecting the Mojo in that particular order, but still, nothing happens. I tried doing a soft reset, too.

If it helps in any way, this is what happens - After connecting the Mojo and the AK70 together, I turn on the "USB Audio" function from the menu settings. The power button on the Mojo flashes and cycles through a few colors, indicating that it recognises the USB device, but then it goes dark. Normally, with my AK380, the light on the power button stays on.

Thanks again, Jason.

Edit: I'm on the latest firmware (1.30).
I'm not sure what the issue might be. Let me talk to our customer service team and get their feedback.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back