New iRiver AK70
Jun 22, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #31 of 1,293
I don't know but the design is very appealing to me. Just simple. It could be thinner though, but considering the features is has this maybe the most versatile AK DAP that is not priced insanely. 

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #32 of 1,293
  Indeed basically the same spec as the Audio-Opus Opus #1, but the Opus #1 has 32gb + 2 x microSD, it also has 2.5mm balanced, and 3.5mm SE with optical.

Both priced the same, both have the same output power, could be an interesting comparison. AK may have metal, but the extra microSD slot has got to count for something
wink.gif

Can the Audio-Opus Opus #1 do USB Digital-out to an external USB DAC/AMP ?

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #33 of 1,293

Can the Audio-Opus Opus #1 do USB Digital-out to an external USB DAC/AMP ?

Not yet, but maybe in the future with Firmware updates. As USB DAC functionality is also going to be implemented in the future. But it has dual DAC and this AK70 only has 1. The Opus #1 is great value for money and once the firmware is updated/optimised further it'll be incredible. It's a great player as is.

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #34 of 1,293
  mmm.......exactly!!! Perfect companion for the Eclipse. I am sooooo verrryyyy verrryyyyy interested in this new AK. Does it come in gold color? Would love it in gold............................AK 70 + Eclipse + Utopia. Excited!

And you will be even more excited knowing that on Facebook Astell&Kern answered me that USB Digital-out will be made available on other AK's Daps through firmware upgrade.  

Of course the question becomes..."when", because A&K also promised TIDAL streaming by Firmware upgrade ...1 year ago !

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #35 of 1,293

And you will be even more excited knowing that on Facebook Astell&Kern answered me that USB Digital-out will be made available on other AK's Daps through firmware upgrade.  

Of course the question becomes..."when", because A&K also promised TIDAL streaming by Firmware upgrade ...1 year ago !

mmm......I'm still going forward with purchase of AK 70 (reserved already with my dealer0 , to be used as pure transport to pair with either the Eclipse or the CDM, depending on my mood.. Lighter, smaller, thinner than the AK 380 cu and the AK 240. I'd like to lengthen the battery life of my cu (wasted as pure transport, assuming the USB becomes a digital-out).

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #36 of 1,293

mmm......I'm still going forward with purchase of AK 70 (reserved already with my dealer0 , to be used as pure transport to pair with either the Eclipse or the CDM, depending on my mood.. Lighter, smaller, thinner than the AK 380 cu and the AK 240. I'd like to lengthen the battery life of my cu (wasted as pure transport, assuming the USB becomes a digital-out).

So, may be this  MicroSD -> full size SD adapter could be usefull to add 512 Gb  of Music instead of just 200 Gb...

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #38 of 1,293
If all you're after is a digital transport with a USB output, why not just get an Android phone with an SD card slot and use it as an OTG transport (i.e. don't even put a SIM card in). With the right phone, you may even get a replaceable battery...

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #39 of 1,293
This or Cayin i5 which is an Adroid dap ?

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #41 of 1,293
If all you're after is a digital transport with a USB output, why not just get an Android phone with an SD card slot and use it as an OTG transport (i.e. don't even put a SIM card in). With the right phone, you may even get a replaceable battery...

mmm.....sorry but I prefer a proper DAP. The AK 70 cost just a bit more than a smartphone. But, if I had to settle for an Android, the Marshall London has long been beckoning me. Smart design, user-replaceable battery, music-centric and a  smartphone of a well-known brand. Unfortunately, it is not OTG-capable.......yet. Perhaps a firmware upgrade or the next iteration.

BTW, the AK UI is simply the best.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #42 of 1,293

mmm.....sorry but I prefer a proper DAP. The AK 70 cost just a bit more than a smartphone. But, if I had to settle for an Android, the Marshall London has long been beckoning me. Smart design, user-replaceable battery, music-centric and a  smartphone of a well-known brand. Unfortunately, it is not OTG-capable.......yet. Perhaps a firmware upgrade or the next iteration.

BTW, the AK UI is simply the best.

Why? If you're using it as a transport, it doesn't make one iota of difference. 

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #43 of 1,293
mmm....it does make a difference. My smartphones are Windows mobile and my laptops are Windows 10 (my digital life is deeply entranched within Microsoft's ecosystem). My others: OSX (soon-to-be MacOS). I don't use Android anything so an Android smartphone is pretty much useless to me, except the Android-powered Sony ZX2, which I now use exclusively as my Tidal.com device. So, between an Android smartphone and the AK 70 (priced at near parity), I'm sticking with the AK 70.

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #44 of 1,293

It seems like AK is actually an Android based dap (with guess). So it is locked to prevent installation of Android apps like Tidal, this promise can be materialized at anytime by unlocking it via firmware upgrade.

I personally don't think AK is Linux based as all the menus looks like Android. 

The new AK70 come with usb otg (USB Audio) which is like other Android device. And the new promise that other AK2xx AK3xx will be upgrade with this feature make me think more of my guess that it is actually a locked Android dap from design.

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #45 of 1,293

It seems like AK is actually an Android based dap (with guess). So it is locked to prevent installation of Android apps like Tidal, this promise can be materialized at anytime by unlocking it via firmware upgrade.

I personally don't think AK is Linux based as all the menus looks like Android. 

The new AK70 come with usb otg (USB Audio) which is like other Android device. And the new promise that other AK2xx AK3xx will be upgrade with this feature make me think more of my guess that it is actually a locked Android dap from design.

Well, Android is built off the Linux kernel, so technically it's linux based :wink: 

It's definitely Android, I'm working on getting a debugging bridge open to mine so that I can try to install an app or two on it. But there is a pretty good chance that an out of the box Android app wouldn't work on it, even if you managed to get it installed. Probably missing a lot of the AOSP API that the app would depend on. Probably have to write it specifically for the A&K. I could be wrong about that, but that seems to be the case to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back