new iPod: mini- (no, make that micro-) review
Sep 13, 2002 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Robster1958

100+ Head-Fier
10 gig Mac version.

Sound (so far w/ Koss 35's only, and 320VBR mp3's):

silence! finally! NO buzz, hiss, hd spin sounds...nothing but music. this fact alone means it's a winner. no more..."well there is a small hiss, but you can only hear it between songs, or on low passages..etc." this device was designed as a music player, not a hard drive/computer item.

sound quality (again through the 35's) is absolutely portable CD quality. imo, you do not compromise sound quality for capacity. at least for me, the low sound floor is important: you can hear reasonable separation and air...vocal breath, banjo plucks, whatever...yes i am talking about an iPod. sufficient power output gives the sound presence, weight, and dare i say punch, at most all volume levels.

Build quality/appearance:

when was the last time you bought something that surpassed your already high expectations? even the packaging screams high end luxury good. ergonomics are best in class, with no close second. almost all new Apple owners say the same thing: there is this incredible weird feeling of euphoria with their stuff.

more later.

(other portables used: Archos Jukebox, Sony CD/MP3, Sony network walkman 64mg flash, various PCDP's.)

Sep 18, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 9
even though i'm a constant upgrader, i think i have found the ultimate portable music player for the forseeable future.

sound:
the iPod at 320 VBR provides CD quality sound. in fact, i a/b'd it by playing the same song on my Sony 7700 DVD player through its front headphone jack with my Senn545's. pretty identical even on this test.

i've ordered the sony ex70sl and aiwa vx100 ear buds to give me me better isolation on the train. the senn500s i have hurt my ears, plus need a little more bass.

with the koss portapros (firm setting), the iPod sounds great (using an EQ that boosts the treble and upper mids a bit).

also with my office rig...the AEGO sat/sub system, monster interconnect, the sound is actually stunning. people walking into my office can't believe it. it actually images.

i must reiterate: the iPod is silent. zero hiss. zero.

GUI:
the most simple, yet effective interface in operation...either with remote, on the unit...with iTunes...everything.

anyhow..did i mention i like this thing?
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Robster1958
even though i'm a constant upgrader, i think i have found the ultimate portable music player for the forseeable future.

sound:
the iPod at 320 VBR provides CD quality sound. in fact, i a/b'd it by playing the same song on my Sony 7700 DVD player through its front headphone jack with my Senn545's. pretty identical even on this test.

i've ordered the sony ex70sl and aiwa vx100 ear buds to give me me better isolation on the train. the senn500s i have hurt my ears, plus need a little more bass.

with the koss portapros (firm setting), the iPod sounds great (using an EQ that boosts the treble and upper mids a bit).

also with my office rig...the AEGO sat/sub system, monster interconnect, the sound is actually stunning. people walking into my office can't believe it. it actually images.

i must reiterate: the iPod is silent. zero hiss. zero.

GUI:
the most simple, yet effective interface in operation...either with remote, on the unit...with iTunes...everything.

anyhow..did i mention i like this thing?
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Have you considered a pair of Ety 4P's ? Like icing on the cake for the Pod. (I just got one myself
biggrin.gif
) And yes, it's quiet and the interface is straightforward and flexible. Sadly I'm in the Windows world, I've heard so much about iTunes... thank heaven for EphPod. (alternative to MusicMatch that's bundled with the WinPod)

Sep 20, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 9
yes...but unfortunately, i belong to that (sizable?) minority that finds the Ety's to be a bit uncomfortable and hard to seal.

not to switch threads, but over in the Headphone Forum, i started one on the FutureSonic Ears. maybe an alternative to the Ety's <?>

i hope i like the sony ex70's or the Aiwa vx100's....plus i got the sony's in white!

btw....i too live in a WinTel world, but after seeing iTunes...and all the Mac stuff demo'd in an Apple Store, i was transformed. I book an iBook along with the mac iPod. As an aside, the iBook is the best laptop i've ever had!

Sep 20, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Robster1958
yes...but unfortunately, i belong to that (sizable?) minority that finds the Ety's to be a bit uncomfortable and hard to seal.

not to switch threads, but over in the Headphone Forum, i started one on the FutureSonic Ears. maybe an alternative to the Ety's <?>

i hope i like the sony ex70's or the Aiwa vx100's....plus i got the sony's in white!

btw....i too live in a WinTel world, but after seeing iTunes...and all the Mac stuff demo'd in an Apple Store, i was transformed. I book an iBook along with the mac iPod. As an aside, the iBook is the best laptop i've ever had!

Shame you don't get on with the Ety's, there's nothing like them. I have the Sony's, bought them as a dry run to see if I would be able to deal with canalphones. Haven't touched them since I got the Ety's. I hope you find something you like.

I'm tempted myself. Been thinking about an iBook...

Sep 20, 2002 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
Highway, You will love the Ibook, even if only for Itunes.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Of that I have no doubt. Good thing I ordered my Pod from the website. Had I gone to the Soho store I fear I would have left with additional somewhat larger boxes
biggrin.gif
Would have spelled doom for my credit card
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 9
I got an iPod when I bought my new Dual G4 system. It's wierd because I was more eager to get my hands on the iPod more than the computer itself, even though both are great. I use it walking to classes around Madison and it's indespensible. I see everyone else with crappy CD players and archos jukeboxes and crappy headphones and I'm glad I've got this thing packed with all my tunes in such a small package that's so easy to use and actually sounds good to boot.

If you're looking at an Apple laptop and have some cash, spring for a TiBook over the iBook. Much, much more horsepower.

Sep 21, 2002 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by FrostyMMB

If you're looking at an Apple laptop and have some cash, spring for a TiBook over the iBook. Much, much more horsepower.

As long as you don't care about Airport range. I actually returnrd a Powerbook for an iBook. I love the powerbook, except the Airport range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back